The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Decent Cheap MIDI Keyboard Keyboard Controllers
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Addict

Decent Cheap MIDI Keyboard

Hi all,

Looking for a decent, cheap (if possible) MIDI keyboard so I don't have to click so much. Don't need anything overly fancy at this point, just something to use with VI's to get the job done faster.

Any suggestions? Honestly the cheaper the better, but of course depends on what's worthwhile.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

I don´t know if it´s cheaper enough, but I´m liking my new Nektar Panorama P4.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

I'd look into getting an older synth (rompler), anything Yamaha from the 90s will do. I've just picked up an SY55 for next to nothing and, whether you use its sounds or not, the feel from the keybed is far better than any of those cheap nasty midi keyboards on sale currently.
Old 18th October 2015
I've had a lot of cheap (and some expensive) midi keyboards. When it comes to cheap and small, the best one so far has been the M-Audio Keystation Mini 32. Feels pretty sturdy and works well.
Old 19th October 2015
Any cheap keyboard with midi out would do for getting midi into the DAW, even a cheap department store keyboard. There are hundreds of used one's available everywhere at any given time for next to nothing, check eBay, yard sales etc. Although a semi-weighted keyboard, as well as a few sliders to control certain parameters would be nice & useful features to have.

I'm not into those little short keyboard controllers that you have to use one hand with, nor any mini-keys. I like at least a 'near' full sized keyboard.

Personally, I use an Alesis QS 7.1 keyboard that I bought new years ago, but can be bought used for only a few hundred. It has great all-around sounds of it's own, and works fantastic as a midi instrument controller into the DAW for VSTi's. I need nothing more.
Old 19th October 2015
I use the alesis q88...it's pretty standard, no frills whatsoever but it has 88 weighted keys, was cheap, it's gotten the job done and still does after several years of heavy use

if you need pads, faders and knobs (other than a pitch, mod and octave selector) you might wanna look elsewhere but if not, I highly recommend giving it a look
Old 19th October 2015
Here for the gear

Roland A-49
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search