The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommended Hackintosh Saturation Plugins
Old 17th October 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Recommended Hackintosh

I'm looking for advice from any Hackintosh owner's who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences and parts list to build their custom mac.

I currently have a 2008 Mac pro 3.2ghz 8 core model which I use with Ableton and Logic X running only soft synths and effects including sample libraries.

Many Thanks

Noodlez
Old 17th October 2015
  #2
Here for the gear
 
josefbud's Avatar
I didn't necessarily build a custom Mac specifically for being a Hackintosh, but I did build a PC and recently decided to dual boot Hackintosh a few months ago. Not sure if I can be of any help, but if I can I'm more than happy to
Old 18th October 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Go to TonyMacX86 and check out the latest buyers guide. A Gigabyte board with a Z97 chipset is recommended, for starters. If you're looking to run Mountain Lion you may have to go with something older as well as an older processor.

Is there a reason why you don't think your current Mac Pro is cutting it? I'm thinking about going with a 2009 8 core for mostly soft synths and samples. What's your experience with it?
Old 18th October 2015
  #4
270182
Guest
Why not just buy a Mac and save yourself the aggravation? Hacks aren't Macs.
Old 18th October 2015
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

The Hackintosh route is fine, if you're prepared to set one up and once it works for you pretty much leaving it as is for a while. Every system and driver update can become a major hassle where some component in your system (video, audio, networking, etc...) can potentially stop functioning.
I've built 4-5 systems for my Vienna Ensemble Pro network and rarely have they all worked happily at any one time, but at least I got 3 stable machines. When I built my last one as my main sequencing rig, after my old Mac Pro 8-core died (not wanting to spend a ****load for a new Mac Pro, plus a Black Magic multidoc, SSD's, PCIe to MADI chassis, etc...) I experienced much stress wasting literally months to build a solid, stable computer to run Logic X. QT videos would crash Logic no matter what I tried, and as a film/TV composer video was a priority, and every new driver (including generic Motu MIDI drivers for my MIDI interface) brought on other incompatibility issues.
In the end, I lost the plot altogether and decided to retire all my Hackintosh's apart from one, which is still pretty stable, and bite the bullet and buy a new 12-core Mac Pro (absurdly, insanely expensive, but touch wood, so far pretty stable) and 3 Mac Mini i7 quad servers on eBay to replace the VEP space computers.
I tell you what, much to my amazement, scepticism, and being a bit pissed off at how much money I had to blow to stay on an-all Mac system, it all works flawlessly. Just finished a 3-month scoring gig and I've had zero downtime, no crashes, no issues, loading times and network stability 100% every day.
So, my advice is that if you value your time, your sanity and you're a pro and make a living from this ****, go out, spend the money and get yourself set up properly.
For the odd, single computer, if let's say you only use PT, perhaps a single Mackintosh might even do you, if you can sort all the components and build a decent machine, once you do all your troubleshooting. But in a more complex multi-computer setup with video and networking, I think either go Mac, or if you're comfortable and knowledgeable with a Windows-based system go that way. But if you work on it every day, the Hackintosh route requires careful management, and ideally as few OS, software and driver updates. If you do get it to work, once it does, just leave it and run with it for as long as you can without changing anything or introducing too many variables.
That's been my experience, at least.
Old 18th October 2015
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by formusic View Post
The Hackintosh route is fine, if you're prepared to set one up and once it works for you pretty much leaving it as is for a while. Every system and driver update can become a major hassle where some component in your system (video, audio, networking, etc...) can potentially stop functioning.
I've built 4-5 systems for my Vienna Ensemble Pro network and rarely have they all worked happily at any one time, but at least I got 3 stable machines. When I built my last one as my main sequencing rig, after my old Mac Pro 8-core died (not wanting to spend a ****load for a new Mac Pro, plus a Black Magic multidoc, SSD's, PCIe to MADI chassis, etc...) I experienced much stress wasting literally months to build a solid, stable computer to run Logic X. QT videos would crash Logic no matter what I tried, and as a film/TV composer video was a priority, and every new driver (including generic Motu MIDI drivers for my MIDI interface) brought on other incompatibility issues.
In the end, I lost the plot altogether and decided to retire all my Hackintosh's apart from one, which is still pretty stable, and bite the bullet and buy a new 12-core Mac Pro (absurdly, insanely expensive, but touch wood, so far pretty stable) and 3 Mac Mini i7 quad servers on eBay to replace the VEP space computers.
I tell you what, much to my amazement, scepticism, and being a bit pissed off at how much money I had to blow to stay on an-all Mac system, it all works flawlessly. Just finished a 3-month scoring gig and I've had zero downtime, no crashes, no issues, loading times and network stability 100% every day.
So, my advice is that if you value your time, your sanity and you're a pro and make a living from this ****, go out, spend the money and get yourself set up properly.
For the odd, single computer, if let's say you only use PT, perhaps a single Mackintosh might even do you, if you can sort all the components and build a decent machine, once you do all your troubleshooting. But in a more complex multi-computer setup with video and networking, I think either go Mac, or if you're comfortable and knowledgeable with a Windows-based system go that way. But if you work on it every day, the Hackintosh route requires careful management, and ideally as few OS, software and driver updates. If you do get it to work, once it does, just leave it and run with it for as long as you can without changing anything or introducing too many variables.
That's been my experience, at least.
Sorry, I meant to write "Slave computers".
Old 18th October 2015
  #7
Old 18th October 2015
  #8
Here for the gear
 
josefbud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by formusic View Post
The Hackintosh route is fine, if you're prepared to set one up and once it works for you pretty much leaving it as is for a while. Every system and driver update can become a major hassle where some component in your system (video, audio, networking, etc...) can potentially stop functioning.
Apparently installing with Clover instead of Unibeast makes it so that you can grab system updates whenever you want. Haven't tried it myself but that's what everyone says.
Old 18th October 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josefbud View Post
Apparently installing with Clover instead of Unibeast makes it so that you can grab system updates whenever you want. Haven't tried it myself but that's what everyone says.
What do you mean? I would agree that it is generally safe to do an update but sometimes there can be changes which may require a new Clover version.
Old 18th October 2015
  #10
Here for the gear
 
josefbud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
What do you mean? I would agree that it is generally safe to do an update but sometimes there can be changes which may require a new Clover version.
I sort of unintentionally let go of a lot of Hackintosh knowledge after I stopped having to configure mine all the time, but I just have a recollection that one of the main reasons to use Clover instead of Uni/Multibeast is that it makes your Hackintosh more like a real Mac and you can install system updates via the App Store and have zero to little trouble, whereas with Uni/Multibeast it's a multi-hour process having to fix drivers, etc.

I'm not the all-knowledgeable one on this, if you tell me I'm wrong I'll believe you. That's just what I remember.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/...g_clover_over/
Do a search on the page for the word "update" and you'll see a couple of people saying the same thing
Old 18th October 2015
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josefbud View Post
I sort of unintentionally let go of a lot of Hackintosh knowledge after I stopped having to configure mine all the time, but I just have a recollection that one of the main reasons to use Clover instead of Uni/Multibeast is that it makes your Hackintosh more like a real Mac and you can install system updates via the App Store and have zero to little trouble, whereas with Uni/Multibeast it's a multi-hour process having to fix drivers, etc.
Yes, that is definitely true, for example you get Recovery Partition like with a real mac. But I would say that it is still a good idea to check how it has worked for other people before doing system updates.

I also use Clover itself and I would recommend it for all the hackintosh users. Its almost necessary at this point if one is going to use El Capitan.
Old 18th October 2015
  #12
Here for the gear
 
josefbud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Yes, that is definitely true, for example you get Recovery Partition like with a real mac. But I would say that it is still a good idea to check how it has worked for other people before doing system updates.
Absolutely. Or, what I plan to do for updates, clone the drive and update on there to see if it works.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump