The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Henchman's adventures in buying a Laptop
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Henchman's adventures in buying a Laptop

Anybody using one here?
Old 15th January 2007
DELL.. the older it gets, the less driver and spair/repairparts you find.

concentrate on the chipset, Yoda-Henchman & the resolution of the screen..

cheers
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
DELL.. the older it gets, the less driver and spair/repairparts you find.

concentrate on the chipset, Yoda-Henchman & the resolution of the screen..

cheers
I don't expect it to get old. 2 years max probably.
Old 15th January 2007
ok.. then check the chipset Mr. Rich

chers
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
ok.. then check the chipset Mr. Rich

chers

I've never had a computer that's lasted more than 2 years. My current laptop is long in the tooth goign on to 2 1/2 years.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah I need a good laptop to for my fireface 800 - any suggestions? The Dells have good price to.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Inspiron chipset:

Chipset - North bridge Intel 945GM
Chipset - South bridge Intel ICH7M

The 945GM chipset is compatible accordign to the Digi site.
Old 15th January 2007
now pray with me:"thank you George for taking my attention on the chipset, I love youheh heh ".

check the resolution too. XGA, SXGA; WXGA, WSGA... and so on.

there are 3 different panel-technologies today. there are accelerated ones, normal, and .. hrm.. dont remember

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

cheers
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I went and ordered it:

Inspiron 9400 Intel Cor 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows XP Professional
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 HyperMemory
80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Draft N Internal Wireless
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

I was seriously looking at the macbook pro, but then I realised that for less than the price of a 15.4" Macbookpro, I'm getting a 17" widescreen, an extra gig of RAM, a 7200RPM HD, and 8X CD/DVD burner.

And it also comes with a Dell All In One Inkjet 946 printer. Fax, scanner, printer, all in one.

What kind of speed difference should I see from my old AMD64 3000 based M6805?
Old 15th January 2007
+30% and faster transfer from HD to Ram, overall systemperformance and response should be faster.

cheers
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

What's the difference between it and the E1705 spec'd out the same way?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Using an Inspiron e1705 right now. Like it. Bumped up the extras for a nicer, bigger screen and better CPU. Perky box.

For my main music box I have one of their XPS machines -- pretty nice, very quiet.

I just make sure I order the extra XP disks so I can reformat the second I get it, to wipe their bloatware from the thing. Easy and fast.

No problems here so far.

Cheers.

Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amost View Post
What's the difference between it and the E1705 spec'd out the same way?
Same Machine AFAIK.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Well, I went and ordered it:

Inspiron 9400 Intel Cor 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows XP Professional
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 HyperMemory
80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Draft N Internal Wireless
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

I was seriously looking at the macbook pro, but then I realised that for less than the price of a 15.4" Macbookpro, I'm getting a 17" widescreen, an extra gig of RAM, a 7200RPM HD, and 8X CD/DVD burner.

And it also comes with a Dell All In One Inkjet 946 printer. Fax, scanner, printer, all in one.

What kind of speed difference should I see from my old AMD64 3000 based M6805?
Wonderful machine, too bad the firewire buss is having so many problems with so many different interfaces though. Hope you did your homework. From my reading, it wont work at all with M-Audio stuff and some of the MOTU stuff is having problems as well.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

Also doesn't work at all with PT
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae11 View Post
Also doesn't work at all with PT
It's on the Digi approved list.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I decided today to change to the LAtitude D820.
Reason being, is I relaly wanted a laptop that had a PCMCIA slot to use with my UAD-1 mag,a set-up.
This laptop has bot PCMCIA and Express.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have an e1705, which is the same as the 9400. I was going to make sure that you know they don't have a PCMCIA slot but it looks like you acted on that.

Overall I think its a decent laptop, lots of power, and a real value for the money. I bought it with $750 + $100 coupon codes so the price was good. I just haven't been happy with the build quality or service at all. It feels flimsy overall, the screen hinges are very weak and have a lot of play, and my screen (the glossy high resolution WUXGA screen) was bad from the start, having shading problems and a little waviness along the top. I've sent it back to Dell THREE times to replace the screen and every time it has come back with something else replace (system board, monitor cable). They just shipped it back today from the service depot so I'll know tomorrow whether they actually replaced the screen this time.

I'm probably going to Ebay it when I get the screen worked out, and it'll most likely be my last Dell. At least the Lattitude's are their 'business' line and are supposed to have better build quality.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post

I'm probably going to Ebay it when I get the screen worked out, and it'll most likely be my last Dell. At least the Lattitude's are their 'business' line and are supposed to have better build quality.

Yes, from what I've read, the Latitude's are much nicer and much better build quality.
Another advantage, is being able to hook a docking station to it, giving me, amongst other things, another full PCI slot. And the'yre pretty chepa on Ebay.
So, I might look into a TC Powercore, in additon to my 4 UAD-1 cards.
And since I'll also have the Express card port free, I'll be looking at getting a firewire card for that, so I can have powered Firewire slots for my mini external laptopdrives that i use to travel with.

Again, I would have considered a macbook pro, but with no PCMCIA card slot, not only would the Apple have cost more, but I woudl ahve had to spend another $300,- to replace my cardbus adapter card for the magma case.

All in all the Dell had everythign I wanted to have. Power, expandability. I'm hoping it can boot from an external device. Becasue then I can have a drive set-up with OSX and boot into that when I need to.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, from what I've read, the Latitude's are much nicer and much better build quality.
Another advantage, is being able to hook a docking station to it, giving me, amongst other things, another full PCI slot. And the'yre pretty chepa on Ebay.
So, I might look into a TC Powercore, in additon to my 4 UAD-1 cards.
And since I'll also have the Express card port free, I'll be looking at getting a firewire card for that, so I can have powered Firewire slots for my mini external laptopdrives that i use to travel with.

Again, I would have considered a macbook pro, but with no PCMCIA card slot, not only would the Apple have cost more, but I woudl ahve had to spend another $300,- to replace my cardbus adapter card for the magma case.

All in all the Dell had everythign I wanted to have. Power, expandability. I'm hoping it can boot from an external device. Becasue then I can have a drive set-up with OSX and boot into that when I need to.

Really you really considered a MBP? I thought the only thing you hated more Than Digi was Apple.

Granted there are a few things the Dell is missing for me. But my mileage varies.

Wiz
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Of Wiz View Post
Really you really considered a MBP? I thought the only thing you hated more Than Digi was Apple.

Granted there are a few things the Dell is missing for me. But my mileage varies.

Wiz

No. I hate wasting money.
Again, if Apple woudl have been smart enough to release the first generations of Macbook Pro's with both PCMCIA as well As Express card slots, I probably woudl have bought one.

Also I'm realising the Dell is actually a better choice for me. And I do say for me.
I like having the ability to slip in another drive in the media bay, and boot from it. This will allow me to set-up various different complete installations on different drives.
I've already got a 40 gig bay on the way that i bought for $60,-. that I'll install OSX on.
And am going to order another bay that I'll put Vista on, just to mess around with and check out.
The D820 allows you to do what they call a One-Time boot option.
Meaning, you hold down F12 on boot up, and that immediatly brings up a boot choice. Basically a built in bootloader. But, next time you boot up, it defaults to the original Bios selection. To me, that is avery cool feature.

I really only ever boot into OSX when I need to do a file conversion form an Apple only session, to Windows. IE, someone has doen soemhtign using SDII files.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I just found out that my new Sony vaio AR21M has a waves L1, Sony Oxford, Waves S1, Renaissance Bass, Sony Inflator and some QSound plugs onboard, just for the playback functions!!!
No doubt that it must be fit for audio-editing
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I also found out today that the Latitude laptops include 3 years, onsite warranty repair.
This means, if there's a problem. They'll send a tech over within one business day to fix it.

So, this is what I ended up with:
Latitude D820 15.4", Magnesium shock proof cage
2Ghz Dual 2 Duo core
80 Gig 7200 RPM SATA drive
DVD burner
Bluetooth
Dell 1490 Wireless a/g adapter
Upek fingerprint reader
NVIDIA QUADRO NVS 110M Video Card
9 Cell Battery
3 Years on-site warranty
$2300,- CDN plus tax ($1962 USD)

The Apple with almost the same config (slightly faster processor, slower 5400 drive, both have middle of the road videocards, but including the same type of warranty as the Dell) would have been $2800.

Because our combined state and federal sales tax is 15%, the difference ended up being $600.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Guru

I understand budgets are budgets, but that difference gets you quite a bit of versatility.

Being able to legally run both Windows and Mac OSX on the same machine is
a major selling point for most people and that the hardware is optimized to work with the OS.

It's really a shame that you can't hold off just a few months for the Leopard machines.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I understand budgets are budgets, but that difference gets you quite a bit of versatility.

Being able to legally run both Windows and Mac OSX on the same machine is
a major selling point for most people and that the hardware is optimized to work with the OS.

It's really a shame that you can't hold off just a few months for the Leopard machines.
Yes, but add to the basic price difference of $600,- the added cost of a new Express card for my 4-slot expansion chassis. Which in CDN dollars after tax would be $400,- And then on top of that, no 7200 rpm drive in the Mac.
Can you swap out the drive yourself for a 7200? I'm wondering if there's a heat issue as to why they don't give the option to add a 7200 rpm drive.

So now, the price difference is $1000,- add an 80 gig 7200 rpm and it's even more.
And I do everything in Windows. The only time I boot into OSX is to do file transfers when needed.
I also understand that not all peripherals will work in bootcamp. So, there was a chance that even if I got the expresscard adapater, it wouldn't work on the MBP in Bootcamp.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I thought (aside from legal issues) that no one has gotten OSX to run WELL on a PC and that it still had limited functionality and bugs?...
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Guru

You can BTO a 7200 RPM drive or install one yourself,
but the 160 GB perpendicular drives are holding their own.

For what you're doing, almost any good laptop will cover your protable needs.

I totally understand you've invested heavily in what you already have going, so what ever you buy has to keep you up and running with as few complications as possible.

For heavy lifting, if you ever consider a Mac, I'd go for a Mac Pro tower.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mark-

Any idea on firewire express cards? I'm looking at one of the Koutech's for my E1705. I'd like to buspower drives but I'm worried it won't have the juice to push a 5400rpm pocket drive (great for backups!). I know it's premature (as you don't have it yet) but I was wondering what your thoughts were.

Congrats on the Dell!

Chad
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadly View Post
Mark-

Any idea on firewire express cards? I'm looking at one of the Koutech's for my E1705. I'd like to buspower drives but I'm worried it won't have the juice to push a 5400rpm pocket drive (great for backups!). I know it's premature (as you don't have it yet) but I was wondering what your thoughts were.

Congrats on the Dell!

Chad

I've been looking into a firewire express card. But you can also use thr USB power to power a firewire drive.
I don't know about the E1705. But the Latitide D820 has 2 powered USB slots, that, from what i understand, canm deliver more power than a standard USB connection.
I actually usually run my aduio drives on the USB anyway.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

The laptops in.
I decided to reformat and re-install a complete fresh XP pro.
Just cause.
That took no time.
It was the day and a half of re-installing all my software, Plug-ins, SFX. Transferring files I wanted to keep. THAT'S what took most of the time.
And the complete nightmare of trying to get my UAD-1's to work with the cardbus.
Yeah. I downloaded the wrong magma driver.

Once I realised that, everything was great.
Enough USB ports. PCMCIA and Expesscard slots.
Biometric security pad, 80 gig 7200 rpm drive.
This thing rocks. Much quieter and cooler than my previous AMP64 Emachines.

Oh. And one big advantage over the MBP I was looking at. Won't be obsolete as quick.
The processor is socketed, so I can simply drop in a faster processor downthe line , or even a quadcore when they become
more available,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search