The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I have a week to pick a UAD plugin... Equalizer Plugins
Old 15th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I have a week to pick a UAD plugin...

So I have $200 in UAD gift certs, and I'm really struggling at what to go with. I have most of the real basics (1176, Fairchild, LA-2A, Pultec), and I'm struggling to figre out where I'll get the most use next. I'm almost exclusively producing music that is a cross between electronic and psych/prog (https://soundcloud.com/joshuafreeland). I'm thinking about the Dangerous BAX EQ, Massive Passive, EMT 140, and the distortion essentials pack, but I really don't have strong feelings. Anyone have thoughts as to what are overlooked essentials?
Old 15th October 2015
ampex tape
studer tape
neve 1073
fatso
ssl, api or neve channel strips

all good choices imo.
Old 15th October 2015
Gear Maniac

My go-to plugins from UAD are Precision Limiter and the Lexicon 224.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

`the API EQ 550 & 560 is really good.

Zz.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

There are so many amazing UAD plugins, it's difficult to say which one you should get.

My life would be less joyfull if I couldn't mix with the UAD API EQ's and Vision channel, the EMT 140, Manley Vari-Mu and AKG BX-20. I could name some more but these are the ones I use the most, together with the 1176/la-2a/Pultec plugins.
Old 16th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul1981 View Post
ampex tape
studer tape
neve 1073
fatso
ssl, api or neve channel strips

all good choices imo.
I have the Slate tape sims, so I'm leaning towards something in the EQ/FX world. I literally end up using Pro-Q2 on every channel I mix. Do you find that using a channel strip on top of surgical EQ is still useful or becomes overkill? I'm always tempted to get something like the 1073, but then I wonder if I want to double up on EQs on individual channels.
Old 16th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimYoung View Post
My go-to plugins from UAD are Precision Limiter and the Lexicon 224.
Do you do any tracking/composition with the 224 on there? I've definitely looked at the reverbs, but the added latency of UAD means I don't think you want to have them in when you need low latency, and then by mixing time, I don't usually want to tamper with the reverb that I've been working with.
Old 16th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
There are so many amazing UAD plugins, it's difficult to say which one you should get.

My life would be less joyfull if I couldn't mix with the UAD API EQ's and Vision channel, the EMT 140, Manley Vari-Mu and AKG BX-20. I could name some more but these are the ones I use the most, together with the 1176/la-2a/Pultec plugins.
Awesome thank you. Do you use UAD plugs while you produce? I've struggled with the fact that while CPU use is lower, the latency kicks up as I add UAD plugs in during production.
Old 16th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland View Post
Do you do any tracking/composition with the 224 on there? I've definitely looked at the reverbs, but the added latency of UAD means I don't think you want to have them in when you need low latency, and then by mixing time, I don't usually want to tamper with the reverb that I've been working with.
I use the 224 for adding reverb after I've recorded, so I don't see how latency would be an issue. I've never really experienced any latency issues with UAD plugins even when applying them while recording.
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear
the never reverb the la 2a or the culture vulture those are serious plugs.
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear
Massive Passive is still stellar to me.

I don't care if it's relatively an older plug now, it really finishes off a song wonderfully.
Old 16th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmfreeland View Post
I have the Slate tape sims, so I'm leaning towards something in the EQ/FX world. I literally end up using Pro-Q2 on every channel I mix. Do you find that using a channel strip on top of surgical EQ is still useful or becomes overkill? I'm always tempted to get something like the 1073, but then I wonder if I want to double up on EQs on individual channels.
I would say having the API Vision or SSL channel strip is definitely not overkill.
The neve 1073 Eq and Preamp is great, especially for tracking.
Old 17th October 2015
Gear Guru

I really like the Harrison EQ. I can always dial it in pretty quickly. I have both a UAD and a Manley MP, and I have to say that UAD did a really great job on that plugin. It's not exactly like the hardware, but it's certainly worth the price of admission. The Helios is nothing special, but the EQ points are well chosen and it's easy to get a satisfying result quickly on guitar and drum buss.

The API Vision is a great channel strip. It's my go-to strip. I love using the expander on the drum buss to put in a little more space between the notes, and it does that API thump thing really well.

The EMT140 is nice, but I have plenty of other reverbs.

I have the tape units. I think the Ampex is a lot more interesting than the Studer, but they work well together. Lately I'm not adding much dirt to my recordings, so I'm kind of avoiding them both. But if you want something to add character, they have it in spades.

For mix buss, lately the 33609 is my favorite. I still really like the Fairchild. And the 1176 and LA2a's are essentials, IMHO. I still use the old LA3a, but I really wish they'd do a MKII.

At some point I got the E765 amp sim, but I'm really not an amp sim guy, and I have yet to get a decent sound out of it. For the bass amps, I think the IK Multimedia SVX is better.

I have and really like the native version of Elysia Alpha compressor, but you can get it from Plugin Alliance for $99 sometimes, and you don't need your UAD to run it. Similarly, the bx_digital EQ is fantastic, but I think it's better to get the native version from Brainworx when it's on sale. Same thing with Transient Designer. I'm willing to be tied to the UAD for some things, but not if I can get the same result with minimal processing overhead cheaper.

Last edited by kafka; 17th October 2015 at 12:54 AM..
Old 17th October 2015
I wouldt get effects and weird stuff they offer. There are plenty native eq's and compressors out there.
Old 17th October 2015
if you track and need a pre for the Apollo, I think the neve 1073 or API vision would make most sense. just my .02 cents.
API especially when it comes to mixing because it's a channel strip.
Old 17th October 2015
If you're analog classic bundle (1176s, LA2a, pultec's ) is not mk2 right now is a great time to upgrade. You only end up spending $97 out of your pocket with your $200 certificates.

I feel like Out of your choices maybe the massive passive or the emt140. I'm very interested in the emt140 myself because I don't have a lot of reverbs to choose from.

Last edited by ChaseUTB; 17th October 2015 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 20th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I went with the Massive Passive after much deliberation. I feel like it will be useful for the bass side of things in combination with the clariphonic I picked up, and the reviews are pretty much glowing across the board. Given that I use Pro-Q2 on almost every track, I just didn't have the desire to insert a channel strip on top of things, and I bus multiple instruments all the time (drums, bass, synth pads), so it seemed like a nice tool to have in the mixing process there. The BAX came pretty close too, but it seemed like people really love the Massive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search