The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Automating the Sonimus Britson fader Saturation Plugins
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Head

Automating the Sonimus Britson fader

I just downloaded the Sonimus Britson plug, and it's my first time working with VU meters. This might be a silly question, but I'm trying to figure out how consistently the VU meter needle on the Britson should hit 0VU on individual tracks. If my VU levels aren't consistently hitting 0db, am I not taking full advantage of the Britson?

Here's the story behind why I'm asking this:

I'm currently working on a song with a very dynamic vocal track. The softest sections are far below 0VU, but the peaks push the needle all the way into the red. On the Britson instance that's inserted on the vocal chain, does it make sense to automate the Britson's fader level so that the needle on the VU meter dances around 0VU for both the quiet sections and the loud sections of the track? Or should I just set the fader at a permanent level so that the VU meter hovers around 0VU during the loudest sections, even though the softer sections would then be far below that point?

Also, just as a general question, I've noticed that I need to push the fader up on the Britson on a few of my recorded tracks to get the volume around 0VU, but most discussions I've read on using the Britson seem to consistently mention pulling its faders down to keep individual track levels around 0VU. Is this a sign that I should I be recording my tracks at a louder volume?

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer!

Last edited by illold3chordme; 14th October 2015 at 07:57 AM..
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by illold3chordme View Post
I just downloaded the Sonimus Britson plug, and it's my first time working with VU meters. This might be a silly question, but I'm trying to figure out how consistently the VU meter needle on the Britson should hit 0VU on individual tracks. If my VU levels aren't consistently hitting 0db, am I not taking full advantage of the Britson?

Here's the story behind why I'm asking this:

I'm currently working on a song with a very dynamic vocal track. The softest sections are far below 0VU, but the peaks push the needle all the way into the red. On the Britson instance that's inserted on the vocal chain, does it make sense to automate the Britson's fader level so that the needle on the VU meter dances around 0VU for both the quiet sections and the loud sections of the track? Or should I just set the fader at a permanent level so that the VU meter hovers around 0VU during the loudest sections, even though the softer sections would then be far below that point?

Also, just as a general question, I've noticed that I need to push the fader up on the Britson on a few of my recorded tracks to get the volume around 0VU, but most discussions I've read on using the Britson seem to consistently mention pulling its faders down to keep individual track levels around 0VU. Is this a sign that I should I be recording my tracks at a louder volume?

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer!
Pretty sure that 0VU on the Britson will equate to -18dbFS in the DAW - gives you the digital headroom you need, while metering using averages instead of peaks (like the typical DAW meters). This is most similar to how our ears hear.

So, I typically use my Satson plugin to meter just like I would if I was running analog - looking to keep things at or below the +3db on the VU meter - even the 'clips' can add nice character, so long as you don't clip the 0dbFS digital max.

Hope this helps somewhat.

DOn
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search