The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best bang for your buck MacBook Pro? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 14th October 2015
Here for the gear

Best bang for your buck MacBook Pro?

So I'm I doing a gig where everything is going direct into the board from a 2008 MacBook Pro. I'm using Mainstage 2 for keys and Amplitube 3 for guitar. But I would like to be able to use Mainstage 3, Logic X and Amplitube 4 but I think that's asking too much of my ancient MacBook. So I'm looking to buy a used MacBook Pro. I also have a few external hard drives that connect via FW 400 and 800 that I would like to keep using. Are there any Mac geniuses out there who can make a best bang for my buck recommendation for a computer that would suit my needs? I don't want to buy anything new.

Thanks!
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Try to get a quad core i7 model. Will give you a lot more CPU power.
https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Adding an SSD drive is also a good move for much quicker loading and protection from vibrations. Samsung EVO SSDs are a pretty good deal now.
Old 14th October 2015
Here for the gear

Some wrinkles that I forgot to mention, are that my interface, a MOTU Ultralite mk3 which I like a lot connects via FW400. My keyboard controller connects via USB 1 and my sample drive connects via FW800. I would imagine there are adapters to connect to the Thunderbolt and newer USB ports but do they work good? Or do I need a new interface, sample drive and keyboard as well?
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Shouldn't be a problem. You can use FW400 on a FW800 port with an adaptor cable. The thunderbolt to FireWire adaptors are also meant to work ok for audio stuff I believe. I think the Ultralite mk3 can also be connected via USB. Newer USB ports are backward compatible.
Old 15th October 2015
Here for the gear

Cool, thanks for your help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search