The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Laptop problem, music is sped up durring recording
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Laptop problem, music is sped up durring recording

When I run live sound for club bands they usually ask for an "archival" board tape to look back on their performance. During a gig last month I encountered a strange problem. When I listen back the audio sounds fine then all of a sudden it switches into "warp 9" and next thing you know it's Alvan and the chipmunks. The chain is:

Line Out from console ---> M-Audio usb interface ---> Dell Laptop running wavelab

And I've posted a sample of what happens.

ANY IDEAS?!?!?
Attached Files

problem.mp3 (678.6 KB, 78 views)

Old 14th January 2007
Wow, man... that's pretty subtle.

Are you sure you're not imagining it?

heh heh heh

Have you determined if it's exactly double? It sounds double. (I hummed along with the thing and it seemed like it stayed in the same key but... you know... the chipmunks thing is a bit offputting. I might be wrong.)

Off the top of my head, all I can think of would be that a switch got bumped from 88.2 down to 44.1 (or, for that matter, 44.1 down to 20.05 -- all that assuming it's a doubletime 'speedup' but the same principle could apply to a 96 to 44.1 sudden switch but the shift would be an octave plus in that case)...

That said, it's kind of hard to imagine that your software and hardware would handle the switch so "gracefully" (ie, keep on recording, without a nasty and obvious glitch [although the transistion makes it hard to really hear]).

Anyhow... you're definitely not imagining anything. heh
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

My cheap interface is only capable of 44.1 (max) so I suppose it could be changing to 20.05khz. I wonder how I trick the system into playing those back at the same sample rate they were recorded...hmmmm.......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search