The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acer/Alesis Dynamic Microphones
Old 13th October 2015
Here for the gear

Acer/Alesis

Hey,

I am travelling right now and I have brought a 4 yo acer laptop with me.
I have an alesis minimix 6fx and a sure sm58, my cables are all new and I think most of them are van damme cables with neutrik connectors aside from the minijack plugs which are switchcraft.
This is pretty basic and I can guess there will be a million options but I just wondered if I could get some pointers on either what I am doing wrong and get better sound.
I can record vocals fine taking the xlr into channel 1 of the alesis and the master back into the laptop.
I would like to record either music or an instrument alongside them and right now (using music) it wrecks both the vocals and the music. Vocals get muddy and the music is seriously distorted and hardly audible at the same time.
I've been just taking the audio out of the laptop into the the RCA 2track input on the alesis and sending it to the mix.
I tried taking the audio out of the laptop into a channel of its own with a stereo jack plug but got no audio at all out if it.
All this is recorded into wavelab.
As I am just backpacking I've been just monitoring out of the headphone out of the alesis with some of those mini bass ball speakers.

My thoughts are either the cables are too long and have picked up hum or something on the way round as they will all be unbalanced.
Or the alesis is chuffed or I'm plugging in wrong. But it was fine before I left as I used it to send the full signal into my amplifier rack from the dj booth at events.
Or possibly the laptop is a bit ****e and its soundcard isn't up to scratch for the task.

I'm just doing the odd recording for podcasts and blogs and hoping to record some vocals and the odd track or loop as I meet musos on my travels.

There is one thing I havent tried where I could send the audio via my dj controller (as it has its own sound card) into the alesis but it doesn't make it very simple to just plug in and record someone. I'll try that tomorrow anyway and check back to see if anyone has any pointers here.

Cheers
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search