The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD/DA 2 Channel Converter Question
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

AD/DA 2 Channel Converter Question

I am running Cubase 4. I have just purchased some high end preamps and want to put them through a good AD/DA converter. I'm only going to record say 2 guitar mics at a time and mix drums through programs.

QUESTION: I'm thinking of buying a high end 2 Channel AD/DA converter (brand TBD) to save some dough vs. 4 or 8 channel. Is 2 Channels enough for both monitoring and say running a stereo drum mix out of the computer, through a preamp or external eq and then back into Cubase?

Any help would be appreciated. Jim
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

well if you only have 2 channels...when you run a stereo signal out to compressors what will you monitor on? Headphones? Because normally those two outputs will be going to your monitors.

But for your situation, i recomend that Echo Audiofire 4.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

In this case at my Home Studio i use Mytek 192 Stereo AD (great converter - very transparent) with a 1814fw(maudio)
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Really dumb question but is there a splitter box or Y cable that will allow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
well if you only have 2 channels...when you run a stereo signal out to compressors what will you monitor on? Headphones? Because normally those two outputs will be going to your monitors.

But for your situation, i recommend that Echo Audiofire 4.

to send the sigal to the monitors (Presonus Control Station) and External Compressor?

Thanks!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradarama View Post
to send the sigal to the monitors (Presonus Control Station) and External Compressor?

Thanks!
Ahh...true... i never used a central station and didn't know it had spdif. The audiofire 2 would work for you in that case.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

So I would run the output of the converter to the

input of the compressor (say). Output of the compressor to the Inputs of the AD converter? And the Converter would have that separate connection to the Presonus?

Thanks for your patience w/ a newbie!

Jim
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradarama View Post
input of the compressor (say). Output of the compressor to the Inputs of the AD converter? And the Converter would have that separate connection to the Presonus?

Thanks for your patience w/ a newbie!

Jim

Spdif output -> central station -> monitors

analogue outputs -> compressor -> analogue inputs

Now when a signal goes through converters there is a little latency (delay). There are a few ways to deal with that and you'll figure them out depending on what program you're using.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Great ! Now I can spend my budget on a better 2 channel unit

rather than having to spend the same money on more channels that I won't use.

I appreciate your help! Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search