The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Macbook Pro 15" Cooling Audio Interfaces
Old 11th October 2015
Macbook Pro 15" Cooling

Hey Guys and Girls -

I've got a new 2015 macbook pro 15" that's generally been great. Running PT 11 with mainly audio, some VIs, some external plugins, etc. Apogee ensemble (firewire) as my interface, and a UA firewire card on the same bus.

My home studio is adjacent to my garage; typically I keep the computer in the garage, connected to the studio through a hole with various TB, firewire and USB cables. It generally works great except on hot days. Those of us in Los Angeles can sympathize that this fall has been exceptionally hot this year, and I've had the computer choke on me several times in the last few weeks on hot afternoons. There is of course no air conditioning in my garage. :-) According to my research it's actually the OS sensing a hot CPU temp and slowing the clock down to protect the it, but the result is painfully slow operation, and CPU errors in PT.

I've tried placing the machine on an aluminum block, that doesn't seem to help much, so I'm looking into active cooling stands. (I do have one of those carbon fiber skins on the laptop, and I kind of wonder if it impedes any heat transfer to the aluminum block...)

Any suggestions for the best cooling pads/stands? A lot of the reviews out there are focused on whether they get the heat away from your legs for actual LAP top users, but I don't care about that. I want to keep my CPU nice and cool, not make myself comfortable. The best cooling for my machine, not only to protect it, but to let me work on hot days!

Thanks!
Geoff
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I've got my laptop on a couple thin strips of wood to allow a bit of airspace underneath. Then I bought one of those mini fans at Target, which blows air from the back side. This was more effective than a couple different cooling pads that I tried. Every once in awhile I forget to turn on the fan and my MacBook definitely runs a LOT hotter.

Freezing tracks and deactivating plug-ins you're not using to keep the CPU down helps too.

It seems to me that excessive heat may not be a good thing. I've had the same MacBook with the original hard drive for 6 years now and it's still running (knock on wood).

I also leave it in sleep mode most of the time instead of shutting it down completely. I've read that a cold start is more stressful on the components. Every now and then I'll do a restart from the Apple menu to reset things and reclaim some disk space, etc.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search