The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
did HD Accell fry my computer?
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Head

did HD Accell fry my computer?

i posted this on digidesign's user conference, but no one's really biting. i was wondering if somebody here could let me know what i did wrong...

i recently bought an hd 2 accell system that i tested before i bought. this is my first venture into hd. it is a control 24, 192 I/0, HD cards into my computer (power spec, windows xp home edition with service pack 2, pentium 4(R) CPU 3.06 GHz, 992 of RAM) and installed the software and i get a whole bunch of different DAE and sync error messages when i open up pro tools..

usually it's 1140, ****61, and a whole bunch of others...

then i get messages saying that the clock sync failed or there was a bad communication between something and the interface. if i get lucky enough to get past those obstacles, arming an audio track brings up a message that says something about how one or more audio tracks are not going to be record enabled because of a bad connection of sorts.

i have all the cables plugged up as far as i can tell: the digi link cable from the 192 I/O to the core card, dsub cables from the audio out of the c24 to the two 8 channel analog in's. ethernet to the computer, which works great on pro tools LE.

someone told me to reseat the cards... i moved them both up one slot to the top two slots and when i went to run the digi test, the computer shut off half way through it and now wont star up again. even without the cards in the computer. just a scarry clicking noise from the computer and a black screen.

what the F?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Go to the DUC and contact Digi Tech Support directly.
Make sure you go to the Windows forum.
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Addict

Has this PC been approved by Digi? What you'll need to do is remove all the cards, pull out the battery of the mobo and reset your BIOS. Then start from scratch.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

First, I would wipe the system drive and start from scratch. Keep the cards out, load XP with default settings. Load ONLY necessary drivers (video, SATA, etc.). Update XP to most current SP2 and security updates. Shut down. Install HD cards. Attach cable between Core and 192. Be sure it is seated properly.

Fire rig up, ignore any new hardware dialogues. Dont dismiss...ignore. Let 'em sit there. Install PT HD. Restart. Run Digitest. Pass? If so, then ONLY do the tweaks listed in the "Getting Started with PT HD..." guide. Leave network on. Disk image time! All finished, have fun!

If it fails Digitest, come on back and post what happened pls. As a next step, I would be suggesting to remove the Accel card, and try again with ONLY the Core card in there. If it passes with the Core only, then it could be the ribbon between the two cards, or something else. If it STILL fails with only the Core in there, and with fresh installs...I would be pulling the Core as well, and then verifying computer system integrity (system drive, RAM, motherboard, etc).

PT is tempermental at times. It wants to live in a very clean enviornment, hardware AND software -wise. I highly suggest dedicating the system to being a standalone rig...stay off the 'net if possible, install NOTHING that is not necessary for use with PT. Don't install games or any secondary apps you think you might want to try and such if possible.

(cut n paste from my response over in the pond I made today)
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

the next time i can get my computer up to a place where i can reimage it will be on tuesday.. in the meantime, i'll give you a little update.

so i realized i had the flex cable on the wrong ports (A into B and vice-versa)

the computer i had been originally using wont turn on. it just stays black and makes a clicking noise, even without the cards in. i borrowed my boss's computer to try it on a different computer and with the cards in with the flex cable in the right ports, it just keeps repeating a screen that asks me how i want to star windows. without the card- starts up perfectly. did i mess the cards up by having the flex cable in the wrong ports? i can't get ahold of digidesign, so i'm sorry to keep bringing this to you all. ive just read alot here and learned quite a bit. i'm hoping that reimaging my computer will fix the problem- but then wouldn't it work on my boss's? it starts up find......
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
so i realized i had the flex cable on the wrong ports (A into B and vice-versa)

I did this when I 1st got my HD system, switched the flex cable and all is good, so it should be fine....

However, I am on a mac
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

update:

i got the computer to turn on and passed the digitest...

when i go to open up protools hd, i get a message when it is creating DAE objects that tells me "Unable to find an Audio Interface attatched to the first HD card. Please check power and DigiLink cables. Click OK to rescan."

WHen i click OK to rescan, the 192 I/O clicks twice, some of the 1-8 leds light up briefly and then the 44.1/loop master/int lights light up again. and i get the message about the missing interface all over again.

my question now is if the cards and the 1-16 audio i/o on the 192 pass the digi test (EVERYTHING passed the digi test) why is there a problem? the power is on and the digilink cable is connected. it passed the digilink test for crying out loud. has anyone experienced this before?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

The HD interface is connected to the Core card, and not the Accel card? Correct?
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

yes, i have the digilink cable plugged into the core card, not the accel card.

that's what i don't understand, if it can pass the digitest, why wont it recognize the card when i launch pro tools? if it were a bad cable it probably wouldn't have passed the test.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi!
Hmmm...

Are you sure the Digilink i splugged into the right port on the 192? There are two...

Next would be trying a second Digilink cable (borrow one? I always keep a spare of "vital" cables...). While I have not had one go bad, I have done cleaning/maint. and unknowingly misconnected the Digilink after...not snuggly seating it, although I could have sworn I rocke dit lightly back n forth to be sure it "latched" (claws grabbed properly).

I dont know if passing Digitest would positively ensure the 192->Core communication link.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Head

nikki, thanks. i made the mistake earlier of pluggin the digilink cable in the secondary port, but it's back in the primary port. i checked the connections at the core card and the 192 and it seems pretty snug. to me at least. i don't know anybody else with a digilink cable, i guess i'm just going to have to buy one from digidesign to test that.

if that doesn't work.... my head will explode.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

most of the time these errors are due to incorrect version of pt / os / computer. your first step is to read the digidesign compatibility lists and make sure you have a working combination of software and hardware.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

do you still have PRo Tools LE installed on this Computer? You cannot have LE and HD on the same Computer!!!
do you turn on the 192 interface BEFORE you turn on the computer?
is you computer approved dy digidesign?
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Head

hey andi,

i took off PT LE before i installed HD. the 192 is pretty much always on i guess. unless i turn off the power conditioner at the end of the night when im frustrated that this stuff isn't working for me. when should i turn it on? should it be on after i start the computer?
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Head

btw, im not sure if my computer is in par with digidesign's specs. i printed out the requirement sheet today at work and im going to check on my computer when i get home from work.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

we're going to go ahead and bite the bullet. buying a G5 today and putting 2 gigs in it. i'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

wow, i would have given up days (and thousands of dollars) ago!
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Head

GOTTA KEEP TRUCKIN'
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Head

I GOT IT FIXED!!!

thanks to everybody who's helped me on here! i appreciate that you took time out of your day to help me with my silly problem.

-pete
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Great news!!

So what was the problem?
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

your not going to believe this, but i had the flex cable backwards. i didn't realize port B is for the core card and port A is for the accel card. go figure...

it worked for 2 or three hours last night. but the C24 kept loosing connectivity with the computer. kept going offline on me. after i finished recording a bluegrass band, i shut everything down and when i went back to record again, i got the same message as before : pro tools can't find an interface connected to the first hd card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE F?

so- if it worked for a few hours; if the cards and 192io recognize and pass in the digitest...

what the hell is going on?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search