The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First $1,000 Plugin Investment Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear

First $1,000 Plugin Investment

Hi All,

I've been using stock plugins on Pro Tools 11, and I'm planning to invest on some good plugins for mixing for variety style of music including orchestral for films.
I'm willing to spend $1,000, and I saw Waves Platinum and SSL for exactly $999.98.
Is this a good start for all-around work, or should I think about something else?
I read many threads on plugin recommendation, and people seem to either love or don't care much for Waves.
A lot of posts were few years old, so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing what's out there now.
Thanks,
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

If you're asking this question, you need to spend more time using what you have in order to know what you need.

It's usually much better to buy plug-ins as you need them, or as you fully understand their usefulness, than to waste a huge chunk of money just because.
Old 22nd September 2015
I will buy those ones

EQs & Comps : Fabfilter Pro Q 2 (surgical eq) , Softube Tubetech Classic Channel (color eq + one of the best comps), Slate Digital VMR + VCC (classic eqs and comps), Slate VBC (classic bus comps).
Deessers : Fabfilter Pro DS, Metric Halo Precision Deesser
FXs : Metric Halo Dirty Delay, Soundtoys Echoboy, Morevox REmatrix (all types of revers inside), Waves RVerb (classic good sounding reverb used on multiplatinum hits).
Limiters : AOM Invisible Limiter, IK Multimedia Stealth Limiter.
Others : Waves LoAir, Waves RBass, Flux Syrah

In each category each plugin compliment weak points of the other. In "others" there are some very useful plugins I use in almost every project.
Don't waste 1k on a Waves bundle where you are going to get lot of plugins you are never going to use. Also every Wave plugin is usually on sale for a high % less.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

If you wanna expend I would go for Fabfilter Total bundle. Maybe also Soundtoys for more colours.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Don`t buy a bundle blindly, spend some time demoing as many as you can and keep the ones you like and suit your needs.
I found myself trying a lot of the "must have" plugins which didnt work for me afterall..

you can also buy from classifieds for half their prize..

hope that helps

Last edited by almaelectronix; 2nd November 2015 at 09:22 PM..
Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies. So far, the message is don't buy waves. I guess keep researching...
Old 22nd September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslx View Post
Hi All,

I've been using stock plugins on Pro Tools 11, and I'm planning to invest on some good plugins for mixing for variety style of music including orchestral for films.
I'm willing to spend $1,000, and I saw Waves Platinum and SSL for exactly $999.98.
Is this a good start for all-around work, or should I think about something else?
I read many threads on plugin recommendation, and people seem to either love or don't care much for Waves.
A lot of posts were few years old, so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing what's out there now.
Thanks,
That's a solid deal for a ton of great plugins. There are better plugins out there,individually, but no where near that price. For example, Fabfilter Pro Q, alone, is $179.

If you need what is in the bundle, it's a steal.
Old 22nd September 2015
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. So far, the message is don't buy waves. I guess keep researching...
That's a stupid message - they are one of the top plugin companies, maybe the top in terms of sheer number of quality plugins.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with Waves, some great plugins there. But, don't overwhelm yourself with a whole bunch of plugins. If you need all the plugins in Waves Platinum, fair enough, but do you? Better to save your money, get a few really good plugins and learn to use them properly.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Buy secondhand in the forums and you can usually get a better deal. You might be able to get the more popular fab filter plugins, the soundtoys bundle, and gold for that price. There's another forum mainly dedicated to plugins that has a more extensive selection of secondhand plugins, as well.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Also: ait for black friday, there are huge discounts then.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can buy waves, but there's better value for money elsewhere.

If your doing more than mixing, including production and composing, I will super super super recommend KOMPLETE 10, or ULTIMATE if you feel you need more stuff for more value. What you get for the money is insane, and I constantly use a bunch of whats in the bundle.

Another bundle for mixing duties mention earlier is FabFilter Shop - Buy Plug-ins and Bundles Online - VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite, which (at least for me) is full of go-to's, because of just how good the plguins are.

For reverbs, Valhalla DSP.

Also, not only because theyre affordable and how easy they can fit in your budget, but because theyre so bloody good. Get everything from Klanghelm, LVC-Audio, and Sonimus. Love love love all of their stuff.

If you want EXTREME value for money with no drop in quality, ToneBoosters | Audio Plugins will have you covered.
Another one, is Melda. There are no other plugins that have a higher feature/dollar ratio then Melda, adn although theyre harder to get your head around they can do more than pretty much anything else.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
nop, more like don`t buy what you will possibly never use.
Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,
Again, thank you for all your replies! At the moment I mainly use PT stock plugins and Komplete ultimate for mixing effects. I also have access to Logic Pro X.
I have a pretty solid selection of virtual instruments, so I'm only looking for effects for mixing at this time.
Basically I want to upgrade to a more robust selection of plugins with better quality and save some money at the same time. I thought those two waves bundle deals were great and maybe could accomplish what I'm trying to do.
If I'm understanding correctly, majority of you are saying it's better to pick certain plugin from different companies rather than going through a bundle route like waves, izotope studio bundle, and so on?
If so, what should I get? I only have $1,000 to spend max.
For my situation, I really like the channel strip concept rather than inserting tons of different eqs and compressors. So I'd like to invest in a solid channel strip like Waves ssl. I also need a better tool for my master bus.
Sorry for cliche adjectives, but I tend to gravitate toward punchy and clean mix, rather than gritty and saturated mix. I only use those for obvious effect rather than subtle support.
Lastly, a lot of times I'm involved in post production for films, so I get pretty tight deadlines from clients. Thus I don't have too much time for fiddling with bunch of plugins. Pretty much I need to know what I want and go for it.
Based on those, what are your thoughts? I really appreciate it.
Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear

I checked out Soundtoys and Fabfilter bundle. They seem pretty good candidate especially Fabfilter!
Old 22nd September 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Based on those, what are your thoughts?
Check out Softube's channel strips and, in particular, their "Passive-Active Pack" which has some excellent EQs.

Softube plug-ins, in my view, are far more musical sounding than the modelling plug-ins Waves has on offer.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Good candidates, as many more though..
I understand what you want to achieve but it is complicated with all the options out there.
i.e. one man's favorite compressor may be totally useless for you.

If you go with fabfilter bundle just keep an eye on proQ v.2 as people report there is a known phase bug.
You can check more about it:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11181889-post496.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11192429-post506.html
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Check out Softube's channel strips and, in particular, their "Passive-Active Pack" which has some excellent EQs.

Softube plug-ins, in my view, are far more musical sounding than the modelling plug-ins Waves has on offer.

There is also a 50% discount on selected softube plugs till 30 September
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by almaelectronix View Post
If you go with fabfilter bundle just keep an eye on proQ v.2 as people report there is a known phase bug.
You can check more about it:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11181889-post496.html
That's not really a bug it's just how non-linear phase EQs work...
Old 22nd September 2015
Fabfilters bundle is great. I use everything in there and the nice thing about bundles is the discounting.

Soundtoys decapitator would be a good purchase too. I like the rest of soundtoys stuff but if I had to pick one over the other it would fabfilter for sure.

In the pulugin world, I don't care for channel strips in that I don't see an advantage.

my .02
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Goodman View Post
That's not really a bug it's just how non-linear phase EQs work...
v.1 has same modes but not that issue, so it sounds more like a bug of v.2.
But don`t listen to me you can check the detailed posts on the links I provided.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by almaelectronix View Post
v.1 has same modes but not that issue, so it sounds more like a bug of v.2.
But don`t listen to me you can check the detailed posts on the links I provided.
They don't have the same modes. Also Q2 uses true higher-order filters, whereas Q1 uses stacked 12db filters on the 24db slope for example (notice the slope drops by 6db at the cutoff in Q1, but only 3db in Q2). So they are going to sound different. Q2 also supports VERY steep slopes on their filters which will sound increasingly odd.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Goodman View Post
They don't have the same modes. Also Q2 uses true higher-order filters, whereas Q1 uses stacked 12db filters on the 24db slope for example (notice the slope drops by 6db at the cutoff in Q1, but only 3db in Q2). So they are going to sound different. Q2 also supports VERY steep slopes on their filters which will sound increasingly odd.
They both do have linear phase and zero latency.
What you 're describing is exactly the reason behind what users report about the bug on Q2, the higher order filters cause an audible phase problem.

But let's not hijack this thread wecan make our comments on the thread talking about it. I am sure lots of opinions there to agree or disagree there.
That would be:

Last edited by almaelectronix; 22nd September 2015 at 07:34 PM..
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Again, thank you for all your replies! At the moment I mainly use PT stock plugins and Komplete ultimate for mixing effects.
What version of Komplete Ultimate? You already have some really great mixing tools included in Ultimate if you're on 9 or 10 at least.

A bunch of the mixing tools in Komplete Ultimate are made by Softube. The vintage compressors VC76, VC160 and VC2A. Then you have Passive EQ, Vari Comp, Enhanced EQ and the reverbs RC24 and RC48. All made by Softube.

Komplete also includes SSL emulations and the Supercharger GT with tube style compression and saturation.

So maybe just buy the specific tools you really feel the need for. You mention channel strip type of plugin. So demo a couple of those and pick one.

You mention tools for your master bus. If you have Komplete you already have the SSL Bus compressor which works well for that. The Passive EQ is touted as a mastering tool, so you also have that.

So maybe a clean surgical EQ? My favorite is FabFilter Pro-Q2. As for a limiter I am using a free plugin called Limiter No6, works nicely once you set it up.
Pro-L is good. Heard good stuff about the Voxengo Elephant limiter as well.
Old 22nd September 2015
Don't buy waves.

Fabfilter + ValhallaDSP (+ SoundToys) should be enough to cover almost everything.
Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear

Again, thank you everyone for all your suggestions!
So far Fabfilter, SoundToys, and ValhallaDSP seem to come up often.
Lilliemarck, thank you for pointing out the effects in NI Komplete. I've been using Komplete for Virtual Instruments, and I haven't really used their effects enough except Guitar Rig. I just checked out their demos, and it sounds good! I should definitely play with them more and rethink the plan!
Komplete : Bundles : Komplete 10 Ultimate : Included Products | Products
PASSIVE EQ delivers a rich, ‘musical’ character that makes this all-purpose EQ a natural choice for a wide range of production duties.
ENHANCED EQ – unique yet simple to use, this EQ fattens and enhances the low end, and adds definition and clarity on the midrange.
SOLID EQ gives you a six-band equalizer with two fully parametric bands for anything from surgical problem solving to broad sound smoothing.
TRANSIENT MASTER is an intuitive envelope shaper and a great tool for dynamically placing instruments in the mix.
SOLID DYNAMICS combines a stereo compressor with a gate/expander. Based on a classic 80s mix console.
SOLID BUS COMP is inspired by a legendary bus compressor from a famous British console. It delivers power and punch without sacrificing clarity.
VARI COMP is a highly flexible compressor with a breathtaking, transparent sound. Just as comfortable on subgroups as on stereo sum.
VC 76 is an outstanding emulation of a legendary studio compressor – characteristic presence and a punchy, clear high-end. Great for drums, vocals, and limiting the stereo sum.
VC 2A is a software emulation of an electro-optical tube compressor with a smooth, warm, natural sound. Great for guitars, bass, pads, strings, and vocals.
VC 160 is based on a popular VCA compressor found in studios all over the world. Mostly used for adding a definitive ‘thwack’ or ‘knock’ to kicks and snares.
SUPERCHARGER GT takes the sound of modern tube compression even further with superior control, additional saturation, and sonic sculpting.
DRIVER is a thick, deep distortion filter. Distortion and filter resonance levels deliver anything from subtle movement to total sonic destruction. AM modulation adds even more possibilities.
GUITAR RIG 5 PRO is a studio full of amps, cabinets, mics, and creative tools – GUITAR RIG gives you the power to shape your tone to perfection.
RAMMFIRE is a ground-breaking amp emulation based on Rammstein guitarist Richard Z. Kruspe’s personal setup.
The RC 24 delivers lush, larger-than-life halls and impressive sound design possibilities.
The RC 48 is inspired by the undisputed king of hall reverbs. A rich, elaborate, and refined sound.
REFLEKTOR is a versatile convolution reverb with over 300 Impulse Responses, providing a range of reverbs from realistic rooms to virtual acoustics.
MOLEKULAR is the modular effects system – inspiring effects, limitless routing, and electrifying performance possibilities.
TRAKTOR’S 12 is a dozen of TRAKTOR’s tried and tested effects, adapted for easy use within your DAW.
THE MOUTH – from Tim Exile – is designed to generate melodies and harmonies out of whatever audio material you feed it.
THE FINGER is derived from Tim Exile’s live setup. A hybrid live performance and real-time remix tool featuring 40 playable effects – the potential for audio mayhem is unparalleled.
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear
Fabfilter + Soundtoys + Klanghelm

Sprinkle in IK Black76 and White2A
Softube CL 1b
Tonebooster's Reelbus
TDR Feedback Comp II & Kotelnikov (free & free)
Valhalla reverbs
TAL Audio's free goodies.

You don't need anything else.
Old 23rd September 2015
Native Instruments effects you mentioned above are great,also Waves make great plugins whoever told you not to but them,does not know what they're talking about,but only buy during sales.

Izotope Ozone 6
Pro Audio DSP Dynamic Spectrum Mapper
For the Master Buss or where ever.

Edit: Iv'e spent way too much on plugins,when I should have used that money for good monitoring,and a way better interface,after only 4 years it's all too obvious that better hardware is where you spend your money!

Last edited by rksguit; 25th September 2015 at 02:41 AM..
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Maniac

EQ: Equilibrium. Waves Scheps 1073 and the API A+B...EQuilibrium can do anything, though the 1073/API can be great for workflow.
Compression: no comment (UAD's comps are the best IMO, prob out of budget)...Puigchild is also great though...
Reverb: Valhalla. Nebula...pretty much all you need except Altiverb, which is too much of a chunk of your budget.
Tape: Also Nebula (R2R...Rhythminmind's are good too).

...if you only buy one plugin I mentioned, make it EQuilibrium; one caveat, it takes a while to get the hang of it, but when you do, you won't regret it.

Last edited by Son of Gafraidh; 23rd September 2015 at 02:35 AM..
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

My small selection would be:

Fabfilter Pro q2, Pro C2, Saturn, Pro L, Pro MB
Valhalla Vintage Verb
UVI relayer
U.he Presswerk, Satin
Cytomic The drop, The glue
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search