The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First $1,000 Plugin Investment Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Maniac

dunno if anyone suggested this but you should get the slate bundle subscription for $25 a month it'll cover bus compress, an amazing limiter amazing tape saturation, reverb, some of the best eqs, a vca compressor an amazing exciter and an 1176
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
There are two forms of iLok protection - one is software based and one requires the dongle. Slate stuff still requires the dongle. Here's the thing though, if you get a year's worth of the subscription, or commit to two months worth of the subscription, you'll get the iLok dongle for free. (you pay shipping and handling of about $5 if in the US)
I am in Canada.
I get what you say, but they lose a lot of impulse buyers (me) like this. I had to set up an ilok account to get the free little choir boy from soundtoys. The next day I bought the eventideH3000, simply because I didn't have to pay $$ for a piece of dongle I don't need, or wait for it to arrive in the mail so I can use the plugs.
Old 29th September 2015
Long & Mcquade sells 'em.
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Maniac

This would be about my go to kit, swapping ReMatrix for the verb (which would certainly inflate the cost a bit)

Seriously though... SlickEQ (GE), SDRR and MJUC alone will give you eq/compression/saturation options in spades. Insane that the lot of them cost under $100 combined.

Hell with SickEQ and Kotelnikov the paid versions are icing on the cake when you consider the free versions offer plenty of functionality to get you where you need to go.

Bottom line you can't quibble really with most of the suggestions in this thread, but to me the above are must-haves, as well as no-brainers for the price point.

EDIT: I am finding Exponential Audio's Excalilbur pretty indispensable these days as well... Great mixing/creative/sound design tool. Little higher end but certainly worth the price tag for what it delivers in functionality, not to mention the stellar preset collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
I'd keep it simple and go for:
Tokyo Dawn Labs SlickEQ GE & Kotelnikov GE (€30 + €40 ~ $80)
Valhalla Vintage Verb ($50)
U-He Satin ($129)
Klanghelm MJUC, SDRR & VUMT (€24 + €22 + €8 ~ $60)
and save the remaining $680. You don't need to spend a ton to have some of the finest plugins.

Last edited by phaded; 29th September 2015 at 05:01 PM..
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Maniac

along with limiter6 by vladg https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/

and molot https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/
free, but aaahhhmazing.
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspaas View Post
Long & Mcquade sells 'em.
Thanks, I think you missed my post about the $60. I am so cheap. I know it.

There's just too much competition now to throw away that money, on a dongle that doesn't make any noise. In any case, I may bite the bullet someday, who knows.
Old 29th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Thanks, I think you missed my post about the $60. I am so cheap. I know it.

There's just too much competition now to throw away that money, on a dongle that doesn't make any noise. In any case, I may bite the bullet someday, who knows.
Yup, missed it.

An Ilok is like a gateway drug. Once you get over the disdain and bite the bullet, it's a pretty painless and rather convenient concept.
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericMetal View Post
Don't buy waves.

Fabfilter + ValhallaDSP (+ SoundToys) should be enough to cover almost everything.
This
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I am in Canada.
I get what you say, but they lose a lot of impulse buyers (me) like this. I had to set up an ilok account to get the free little choir boy from soundtoys. The next day I bought the eventideH3000, simply because I didn't have to pay $$ for a piece of dongle I don't need, or wait for it to arrive in the mail so I can use the plugs.
I too, get what you say. But as I mentioned, you get the iLok 2 for free, they shipped it priority mail - at least here in the states, I had it two days after they shipped it and was able to use all their plugs.

It's up to you, and I swore off any dongles forever and ever, until the slate deal popped up. Now my plugin world is opened up to a number of other companies, although more and more are going dongle free even w/ iLok protection.
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Hey op.

I haven't read the full thread but here's what I know most people agree on in terms of sound quality:
Reverb: everything from valhalladsp.com, I love vintage verb.

EQ: fabfilter.com proQ keeps coming up. Haven't used it but must be very good.

Compressor: there isn't any common ground I could find except for klanghelm.com MJUC which is really, really great.
I also love Softubes fet compressor and.

Also you can buy almost anything from voxengo. It all sounds brilliant!

Of you go that route it won't be easy to spend a grand cause MJUC for example is only 24€. Don't get fooled by that price tag!
Old 20th November 2015
HSi
Lives for gear

Demo demo demo!

Just because others like it in may not gel with you, it's not what the maximum performance of a item is it's how well it works with you.
Old 20th November 2015
Gear Maniac
MXXX from meldaproductions includes over 70 plugins is now half price (643$). Lifetime updates plus every time a new plugin from melda is out, you get it for free. Very hard to beat this deal. The sound quality and endless tweakability makes this a no brainer if I was in your position. But Melda is not for everyone. But I strongly suggest you check it out.
https://www.meldaproduction.com/plug...ct.php?id=MXXX

I agree with HSi, all suggestions so far will get you there they are all very good and capable plugins it's more about what you like. I seriously don't think that anything so far will offer more than Melda.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search