The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best brass virtual instrument in 2015 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear
Best brass virtual instrument in 2015

Just looking for excellent funk/pop horns as a virtual instrument. Everything decent seems quite old. I'm surprised that there have been no advancements or at least new competitive high end offerings. I wanted to start a new thread on this as the threads seem very old as well.

It seems Sample modelling, Mojo horns or Broadway big band are still the best ones. Broadway big band seems arguably the best but is insanely expensive and looks like it hadsn't been updated in years. They also do Broadway Lites for cheaper. Are they any good? Very little info..

Is there anything else in the pipeline? Obviously orchestral samples are more common but I'm talking about pop and funk here. Would be great if something comprehensive and mind boggling good could come out that was under $1000.
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear
Nobody???? Cmon brass heads
Old 19th November 2015
Gear Addict
You could try Chris Hein Horns, or CHH Compact. They now have phase-locked samples for believable and expressive dynamic changes (similar to SampleModeling). I have the compact version, and it is easy to layer up a fat horn section within one instance of the plugin. Also contains clarinet and flute, iirc.
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear
I can think of big fish audio vintage horns, maybe a couple of years old by now. Good for soul, motown and pop etc.

I demo'ed something from NI that was well suited to pop - session horns. I didn't keep it as Big Fish had me covered but it was quite useable as I recall.
Old 19th November 2015
I think NI Session Horns Pro is great for funk & pop.
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks guys. Anyone tried Broadway lites?
Old 25th November 2015
Lives for gear
I would try mellotron/chamberlin brass samples. All of the clean brass samples I have heard just do not sound right. Fake and cheesy sounding.
Old 17th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I would try mellotron/chamberlin brass samples. All of the clean brass samples I have heard just do not sound right. Fake and cheesy sounding.
Big Fish Audio Vintage Horns is made to not sound clean.
Old 18th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctms777 View Post
I think NI Session Horns Pro is great for funk & pop.
Agreed, so far above anything else I used before. Lots of good options.

I have used them for classical arrangements and funk / soul / 70's disco sounding stuff as well and they fit in. Lots of mix options and good articulations.

Watch a YouTube video or two before you make a judgement, it's a really deep product, not something most people would get in one pass (at least I didn't... but I might not be the sharpest knife in the shed so who knows.... ).
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Better than Sample Modeling even?
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Definitely ProjectSam Orchestral Brass.

I think this topic came up here a few months ago, and they still they have the fullest, brashest brass if you so choose. Of course there's not-so-brash, actually quite mellow too.

I'm amazed they don't get mentioned more here on GS.
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Definitely ProjectSam Orchestral Brass.
They seem great for film score type stuff, but not so sure for pop/soul/funk etc?
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
They seem great for film score type stuff, but not so sure for pop/soul/funk etc?
Here's what SOS had to say a few years ago; with this approach you'd get much more than brass, though not as deep:

"Project SAM’s Swing!
Pop Horns takes an idiosyncratic approach to jazz big band, concentrating on the lighter textures of the popular swing style of the 1940s. Drawing on the ready-to-play, mixed-instrument ensemble approach of SAM’s orchestral Symphobia series, the library contains a smooth-sounding, live big-band ensemble of clarinets, saxes, trumpet, trombone, contrabassoon and double bass, a saxophone section, muted and straight trumpet sections (the latter operating only in the upper register) and two low ensembles featuring combinations of baritone sax, trombone, contrabassoon and double bass; solo brass consists simply of trombone and muted trumpet. A large range of engaging and colourful velocity-controlled styles includes sfz crescendo, slides, grace notes, glissandi, falls, rips and chromatic octave runs. True-legato intervals are also included for the big-band ensemble and solo mute trumpet (with a cup mute adding a nice vintage effect to the latter), along with a set of played chords performed by the sax section and big-band ensemble."

How this translates to your personal take on funk, and how you intend to use the individual instruments / articulations / ensembles, will be the deciding factor. I'd recommend Youtube, it's bound to have some good coverage on the various libraries.

How you manage your effect chains really will have an impact too, both inserts and sends. I don't tend to use the internal effects with soft synths or sample libraries.

Note: Also, I believe a subset of SAM's Brass Library is in Kirk Hunter's Diamond Collection, and it's quite extensive overall, and reasonable. You'd get quite the bang for your buck, particularly if marked down (as it is periodically.)

However, it should be mentioned that ProjectSAM just released the 2016 iteration of its Symphobia Library, so it might be worth checking out more too.

Last edited by MusiKLover; 20th August 2016 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Add Kirk Hunter
Old 20th August 2016
Lives for gear

I've done plenty of brass for funk, swing, and pop tracks using Chris Heins' Pro library in Kontakt, and sometimes the NI Session Brass. Also, the Wivi Band modelled brass instruments are great for adding to the mix because they're a little more expressive (not sampled). Then, if you really wanna nail it, hire at least one real player to mix in alongside all the samples. Just one real trumpet added to the mix can make a huge difference.

Lastly, an ancient library I STILL rely on for it's punchy tones is Alby Donnelly's 'Killer Horns'. Very limited sounds and riffs, but the attitude is great and sometimes its just the right 'secret sauce'.... Damn. I'm giving away all my best secrets. :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search