The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Problems with Steinberg's Cubase (locked thread there) DAW Software
Old 18th September 2015
Here for the gear

Problems with Steinberg's Cubase (locked thread there)

www.steinberg.net • View topic - FREE CUBASE 8.0.30 !!!!

A nice (though incomplete, of course) collection of deficiencies holding Cubase back. Locked on the Steinberg forum as expected, before much discussion of the actual content (as opposed to the OP's tone and attitude, which of course did get lots of Steinberg-protective comments just before it was locked).

I've reposted here so that people could actually have a chance to discuss the missing features mentioned. To keep this thread "clean", it could be a good idea that responses in this thread be limited to the features (i.e., not discussing Steinberg forums, moderators, etc. - there are enough other threads to do that).

Have at it!

I'll start it off: I would like to see improvement as posted by the part of the OP which I bolded below.

: Also their "search for missing audio" seems very awkward. Many many mouse clicks, and the search is limited to only one drive.

Quote:
FREE CUBASE 8.0.30 !!!!

Postby abyss » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:46 am
now that i have your attention

I've had cubase since the very first version a long long long time ago ...

and i still get annoyed with missing features that the competition has had for YEARS!!! so you say oh well just use there stuff ... and i say why ? why doesn't stein berg actually do something about it and its not just me either its most other people that i talk to that use cubase and i don't mean on a forum either

obvious things like ...

# remembering zoom states on the mixer patch

# the ability tell the media bay where our media locations are and let us add locations easy.. example the choice "hard disks" makes the whole thing crap when you have 12 tb drives full of samples and just want a few explosions from one folder to look through especially when they don't have any category settings because there just audio samples ....

# the ability to save a track or group or group of tracks or group of groups as sing patch including inserts and the destination routing if the routing destination does not exist then MAKE a new one with the name supplied at the time of saving .....dare i say AKA PRO TOOLS just imagine making an album and being able to load the same common things like eq and fx sends and routing for a vocal easy across 14 tracks ...

maybe we all need to chip in and buy the guys programming cubase a copy of pro tools / logic / sonar / studio one ... so they can see what there loyal customers have been missing out on for 30 years and possibly give them a clue to what we want to see .. I'm starting to feel like the guys driving the boat are not musicians at all.....

what gives with the library does any one actualy use it.. i mean 30 years and i still don't use it because its pycotic ....
its just to hard to use ... there should be one folder for all Recorded data lest call it the" Audio pool or cache " when a song is closed all tracks recorded and still present in that folder should be stored with the song in a "Common Project folder or folders" for SONGS..

then when a song loads the song should look in both places for the audio file that way when a song crashes on saving the audio files will still be available.

when a song loads and a plug in is not available LET US HAVE THE CHOICE TO REPLACE IT with another ....

cubase is like a car ...

a car that has 3 wheels no handbrake and only half the indicators work ...

i do hope they don't end up like line 6 who didn't listen to there customers rants...

I've been a pretty good beta tester for the past 30 years and maybe you too ..so don't you think they should take notice of what we say for once instead of playing out the part of music mafia and just giving us what they think we need to make music....

30 years ... still no sampler with the software ....
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I'm always confused that Cubase seems to attract the most unhappy and discontent people.
Old 18th September 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Whatever you do, don't talk about fight club.

Old 18th September 2015
mixmixmix
You want too much from Cubase. It has enough. It will never have everything. Make music and be happy.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

And you've got a sampler....
Old 18th September 2015
As far as I'm concerned, Cubase has had enough 'features' for years, I'd rather have Steinberg concentrate on making what they have 'stable'. We've seen.them waste time & resources on such things as their 'fairy-air'
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi,

Quote:
# remembering zoom states on the mixer patch
Not sure what a mixer patch is. Have never heard term used with Cubase versions before. It already saves arrangement zoom views with the saved project and there are global zoom presets that can be customized. in version 8 I have never had trouble with it recalling the zoom state and mixer layout of the mixer console using the configuration presets.

And then there is the whole workspace views as well.......
Almost too many options to customize your sessions.

Quote:
# the ability tell the media bay where our media locations are and let us add locations easy.. example the choice "hard disks" makes the whole thing crap when you have 12 tb drives full of samples and just want a few explosions from one folder to look through especially when they don't have any category settings because there just audio samples ....
Seems pretty easy to add locations to me. I do have an organized folder structure though with samples, loops and waves files though. Not sure how it is Steinberg's issue If the sample library manufacturer of the user add meta data to a file or clearly organize and name their folders or files. Especially when you have "12 TB" worth.

Quote:
# the ability to save a track or group or group of tracks or group of groups as sing patch including inserts and the destination routing if the routing destination does not exist then MAKE a new one with the name supplied at the time of saving .....dare i say AKA PRO TOOLS just imagine making an album and being able to load the same common things like eq and fx sends and routing for a vocal easy across 14 tracks ...
Projects templates, track presets, FX presets, channel strip presets.

Quote:
maybe we all need to chip in and buy the guys programming cubase a copy of pro tools / logic / sonar / studio one ... so they can see what there loyal customers have been missing out on for 30 years and possibly give them a clue to what we want to see .. I'm starting to feel like the guys driving the boat are not musicians at all.....
Hmm I wonder why the thread was locked?
Quote:
what gives with the library does any one actualy use it.. i mean 30 years and i still don't use it because its pycotic ....
its just to hard to use ... there should be one folder for all Recorded data lest call it the" Audio pool or cache " when a song is closed all tracks recorded and still present in that folder should be stored with the song in a "Common Project folder or folders" for SONGS..
Pycotic?

You want Cubase to move all your audio files from all your projects into one global folder? Yikes. You can already trick it into doing something as stupid as that by always choosing the same exact folder when ever you create a new project. Good luck sorting things out later when you want back up individual album projects....

Quote:
then when a song loads the song should look in both places for the audio file that way when a song crashes on saving the audio files will still be available.
No idea what that even means. Just sound like something is wrong with his system.

Quote:
when a song loads and a plug in is not available LET US HAVE THE CHOICE TO REPLACE IT with another
Cubase has let you do that for at least 30 years....
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Cubase has had enough 'features' for years, I'd rather have Steinberg concentrate on making what they have 'stable'. We've seen.them waste time & resources on such things as their 'fairy-air'
Fairy-air? lol
Wait I can find that in the manual!
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

It's really annoying if people don't RTFM for 30 years and then start complaining here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
Hi,

Not sure what a mixer patch is. Have never heard term used with Cubase versions before. It already saves arrangement zoom views with the saved project and there are global zoom presets that can be customized. in version 8 I have never had trouble with it recalling the zoom state and mixer layout of the mixer console using the configuration presets.

And then there is the whole workspace views as well.......
Almost too many options to customize your sessions.

Seems pretty easy to add locations to me. I do have an organized folder structure though with samples, loops and waves files though. Not sure how it is Steinberg's issue If the sample library manufacturer of the user add meta data to a file or clearly organize and name their folders or files. Especially when you have "12 TB" worth.

Projects templates, track presets, FX presets, channel strip presets.

Hmm I wonder why the thread was locked?

Pycotic?

You want Cubase to move all your audio files from all your projects into one global folder? Yikes. You can already trick it into doing something as stupid as that by always choosing the same exact folder when ever you create a new project. Good luck sorting things out later when you want back up individual album projects....

No idea what that even means. Just sound like something is wrong with his system.

Cubase has let you do that for at least 30 years....
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
It's really annoying if people don't RTFM for 30 years and then start complaining here.
What page in the manual is replacing missing plug-ins on? I can't seem to find it.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Do you know how to load a plugin?
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That has nothing to do with what is being asked. The request is to have an option to replace the missing plug-in when the project opens.

In large projects, it can be a huge pain in the ass to track down a missing plug-in.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

You can't "replace" a plugin, each got different parameters, there is nothing to "replace"
Cubase tells you perfectly which plugins are not loaded/missing, those slots are then bypassed so the channels still play and you need to decide what else you would like in there. And set the settings, as no daw tells you how to tweak EQ or COMP A to sound exactly like EQ or COMP B.
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can't "replace" a plugin, each got different parameters, there is nothing to "replace"
Cubase tells you perfectly which plugins are not loaded/missing, those slots are then bypassed so the channels still play and you need to decide what else you would like in there. And set the settings, as no daw tells you how to tweak EQ or COMP A to sound exactly like EQ or COMP B.
I'm aware of that, and that's why there's a request for:

"when a song loads and a plug in is not available LET US HAVE THE CHOICE TO REPLACE IT with another ...."
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryisSilent View Post
What page in the manual is replacing missing plug-ins on? I can't seem to find it.
Hi, Page 40 but it is very vague for sure.
cubase has always give a pop window with the list of missing plugins with the track and location and the ability to export as a text files.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

The mixer shows any missing plugins with Exclamation marks on them so they can easily be removed or replaced.

Have any DAW that is any more difficult or easier than how Cubase deals with.

Chris
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
Hi, Page 40 but it is very vague for sure.
cubase has always give a pop window with the list of missing plugins with the track and location and the ability to export as a text files.

The mixer shows any missing plugins with Exclamation marks on them so they can easily be removed or replaced.

Have any DAW that is any more difficult or easier than how Cubase deals with.

Chris
Thanks for the info, I was not aware you could save the list to a text file. That does help a good bit.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Chris here....

"the ability tell the media bay where our media locations are and let us add locations easy.. example the choice "hard disks" makes the whole thing crap when you have 12 tb drives full of samples and just want a few explosions from one folder to look through especially when they don't have any category settings because there just audio samples ...."

You don't have to select all hard drives, or even whole hard drives. You can select sub-folders.

Not only can you select sub-folders, but you can "define" several "locations" and assign key commands to macros controlling them and the search. So with one key click you can open MediaBay and it's preset to search only audio files in folders X, Y. Then later hit another key and it's set up to search project files and presets in locations X and Z, but not Y, etc....

RTM.

When it comes to project management I have very few complaints. With MediaBay able to find so many different types of media, media and project management isn't particularly hard.

"Replacing plugins"? I suppose you mean that you open an older project and, for example, a compressor you used to have is no longer on the system you're opening the project on. So now you want Nuendo to say "Hey, this plugin is missing, do you want to replace it with something?", right? I don't think it's an entirely insane idea actually, but the thing is that it's really your responsibility to have backwards compatibility of your projects. Out of all the things that Steinberg could be focusing on I have to say that one seems like it should be pretty far down on the list.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

While I agree with ADKChris, it's also annoying if someone makes dozens of posts, such as "did not affect my real life performance" arguing with the OP, making a lot of noise, and eventually be proven absolutely wrong?

From Steinberg representative GN in the Gearslutz post: "[I]We had it on the record even before you reported it, but we just didn't had the time and resources to fix it until now."[/I]

Then when the embarrassing statements are quoted, quietly slips out the back door with no apologies to the original poster who had previously been drowned out at the Steinberg forum, and decided to re-post at Gearslutz to get the problem fixed. I don't think the fix would have happened had RubbaDub not posted it at Gearslutz.

Post #296
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...di-bug-10.html
Your own statement:
"I feel you are just making things up. If this is not the case I'm very dissapointed in Steinberg"

Quote:
I'm guessing LovelyRoota is pretty frustrated. Wouldn't a better solution be to reply as ADK Chris did? Try to understand the issue then offer solutions if they exist? Sure RTFM is important, but IMO it's also necessary to attempt be helpful even if the questions are basic.

Just another example of a frustrated user saying things he perhaps he shouldn't have said in frustration, then being locked, deleted or banned, comes to Gearslutz and ADKChris offers solutions.

Last edited by greggybud; 19th September 2015 at 06:50 PM..
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post

Just another example of a frustrated user saying things he perhaps he shouldn't have said in frustration, then being locked, deleted or banned, comes to Gearslutz and ADKChris offers solutions.
Oh, weekend, time for another thread to bash Cubase. Sweet.

A frustrated user because Steinberg does not implement his personal wish list of features he thinks he deserves from this company because he uses Cubase since the first version?

Let me quote: "cubase is like a car ... a car that has 3 wheels no handbrake and only half the indicators work ..."

Yeah, sure! It's not what you say - it's HOW YOU SAY IT. Common sense, really.

Have a good one. I'm out.....
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

I'd say anyone who's been unhappy with a product or company for 30 years probably needs to grow a backbone and just move on to something they'd be happy with.

When I got fed up with Cubase I stopped using it. Simple. And I don't spend my free time bashing it because I don't use it anymore and that would be juvenile. Plenty of daw fish in the sea. Choose one and move on.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Cubase 8 Pro" subsection along with "Cubase 8 and why I hate it" or "WTF is up with Cubase', or "For once and for all please explain this nonsense Steinberg", and "Cubase: The new Mixer":
heh:
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search