The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Babyface Pro vs. Apollo Twin duo USB!
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Maniac

RME Babyface Pro vs. Apollo Twin duo USB!

I researched the forums and didnt find any topic concerning this (besides older ones with older gear) but a friend on here pointed out to me that the Apollo Twin Duo is now available for PC! To me that straight blew me out of the water because I was so focused on buying the RME Babyface Pro that was just recently released. I am looking to upgrade my current setup and I needed a top of the line portable interface. Bam! I seen the new babyface releasing and was overjoyed because I know RME makes one of the best portable interfaces out there, the babyface. Now Universal Audio wants to make a comeback to this, Im assuming with the new release of this device. I am now stuck because I once again cant decide on a device I have come to love this forum very much since it has expanded my knowledge on music 10 fold but Im still new to most of this. Can anyone help me decide between the two? I know the UAD has amazing plugins and thats making me lean towards them but I hear the new RME strikes back with its lovely sonic abilities. All opinions and new knowledge are welcome and I highly appreciate any answer anyone has to give to me. This thread might help someone in the future too so please guys help me and whoever else may be wondering out!

Current setup:
-Bluebird and Spark mic
-Maudio Mtrack (really cheap I know hence the upgrade)
-PC
(will be getting a new mic too along with a pre)

Last edited by Violunce; 17th September 2015 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: Title change
Old 17th September 2015
Can't comment on the RME. I was using a PTHD3 setup for a long time before getting an Apollo for my own personal work. It's so easy to use and the latency is workable, IMHO. I can even track with the included UAD plugins. One thing I don't like so much is having to use the console software. I prefer to have everything self-contained inside Pro Tools. As for the sound, it doesn't sound bad to me. But then again, I haven't done large mixes with a full band yet.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Unless you need to use UAD plugins going in, I would choose RME.

Personally I have the Apollo Twin but will be selling it as soon as I get a UAD satellite "card" The twin does not have enough firepower for mixes and tracking and I've found I prefer my RME for routing and sound quality.

This may change but I have yet to find any use for the Apollo Twin tracking, native plugins are working just fine for that job and I'd rather control plugins via PT than a 3rd party console.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Ahh I see but ive heard the uad plugins are very good. I know the new rme babyface has wonderful converters awell as latency but does that outweigh the plugins? I wish I knew how they stacked up sonically against eachother and I wonder what the pres sound like. I have to say though these probably are the best 2 portable interfaces for pc. Correct me if im wrong
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Btw what do you mean by card? Like is it a pc desktop soundcard? Would i be able to hook my babyface up and still use those lovely uad plugins or is that not possible?
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Obviously this is what works for me but I do think you'll outgrow the Apollo Twin and need to get the UAD Satellite DSP "cards" I say cards because I don't know what else to call them they are FW or TB or PCIE.

The UAD plugins are very good, unfortunately I've found myself favouring a few (that require huge amounts of DSP) and unless you can freeze tracks easily its a pain, I'm on PT 11 so I can't.

For example I was just working on a song used 2 Culture Vultures and I was maxed out on a 48k session, right in the middle of my flow I had to think about another plugin rather than the one I wanted was another UAD.

Personally again, I'd go for the RME and get a UAD satellite solution but you have to weigh up the cost effectiveness of that choice.

I'm by no means saying you can't make great recordings on the Apollo Twin but given the choice and on the quality of them as part of your recording chain not as DSP devices I would go with RME.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Maniac
For my workflow, the main problem with the Babyface Pro is that it doesn't include dynamics processing in its low-latency monitoring interface. I find that essential for artists to be able to hear themselves well without me needing to record at hot levels. RME's drivers are a bit better, in my experience. And the sound quality of the two is both good enough that it won't really affect things either way. If I were in your position I would look at a used UCX or Fireface 800 that had dynamics in the monitoring chain, but if you don't need dynamics and are ok with just EQ/verb in the headphones mix, I would expect the Babyface Pro to be slightly more reliable.
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Maniac

What does dynamics do for you? Is it just during the recording process while monitoring or does it effect the mix after? So im assuming the Rme is a bit better in terms of whats on paper but how do the converters stack and such? Also would you guys agree that these are the top of the line portable interfaces or whats running against them? But as for that card, is that an interface all in its own that allows me to use uad plugins simultaneously with the babyface?
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violunce View Post
What does dynamics do for you? Is it just during the recording process while monitoring or does it effect the mix after? So im assuming the Rme is a bit better in terms of whats on paper but how do the converters stack and such? Also would you guys agree that these are the top of the line portable interfaces or whats running against them? But as for that card, is that an interface all in its own that allows me to use uad plugins simultaneously with the babyface?
1) Some singers, especially poor ones, need compression when tracking. The usual practice in most studios is to track with compression - because it comforts the singers and allows them to hear a more accurate representation of what the performance will sound like in the final mix. So if you are tracking singers a lot makes sense to have compression ( i.e. dynamics processing) in your monitoring at the very least. For guitars and nearly every other instrument it's not really necessary for tracking.

2) UAD card with a Babyface - this will allow you to use UAD plugins, but not monitor through them without latency. The Twin and Appollo's give you that extra feature of being able to track with their plugins without latency - that's really the whole point of those interfaces.
Old 18th September 2015
IMHO, babyface pro... then save for a UAD card. best of both worlds.
Old 20th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Will the card install on any desktop pc and how about a laptop? Could you link me to one so i can see what it costs
Old 21st September 2015
I've got both an Apollo Twin and an Apollo Quad. I'm very happy with my setup. The headphone monitor in the Apollo Twin actually is better than the Apollo Quad. I consider it a very high quality interface.

I also have an RME Fireface 800 but don't currently use it.

All of these interfaces sound similar to me (good) and I haven't run any audiophile tests to measure their differences.

If you want to run primarily UAD plug-ins you should, in my opinion, buy the Apollo Twin. No, you cannot run a mix off it by itself. But you can track through it with UAD plug-ins, which is a great feature, and if you are building a UAD system each CPU you can add to it only helps.

For a serious full-blow mix I think you need 10-14 UAD processors. So the Twin gives you the first 2 towards that goal.
Old 24th September 2015
That's the same exact setup I'm considering. I have a Twin Duo and looking to add a Quad. Contemplating selling my old PTHD3 Accel rig as well.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac
I didn't think the Babyface Pro was released yet, and I'm pretty certain you can't buy one right now. Although RME are a quality manufacturer it doesn't mean that everything they make will be awesome (even though it probably will be ).

I do find it odd that people recommend kit that isn't even released - so they can't possibly have used personally.

I think the concensus is that the Babyface Pro will be available at the end of October - though of course that could slip. So if you can wait it's likely to be a contender for your cash - If you can wait.

I needed an interface now and I ended up with a SPL Crimson, which (despite a scratchy pot meaning a replacement) I am really pleased with.

The Audient has a lot of fans too. I think at this price bracket you will run out of talent long before the interface becomes the limiting factor. I know that's certainly true in my case.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

So I ordered the RME BF pro and it should be shipped off tonight so Im pretty excited about that. Now im very interested in these cards you guys speak of. I will research them more but I definitely want to get one for the plugins
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

@mikeybabes actually the device has been available for a few weeks now. Manufacturers are just on backorder because the device is so popular and everyone bought them out lol. I was fortunate enough to find one that had 5 left! And i scooped one as quick as I could click lol. Im not familiar with that interface though. Anything specific that it can do that the babyface cant?
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Sorry to post consecutively 3 times in a row lol but how can I setup the BF pro with one of these cards and how do I connect it to my pc? I know this could be a whole different thread but since you guys brought it up and probably know how to do so, could ya tell me? I seen pcei card expanders but im not sure if I need that along with the card or if i just plug it into my pc but how would that go for a laptop though?
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
@mikeybabes actually the device has been available for a few weeks now. Manufacturers are just on backorder because the device is so popular and everyone bought them out lol. I was fortunate enough to find one that had 5 left! And i scooped one as quick as I could click lol. Im not familiar with that interface though. Anything specific that it can do that the babyface cant?
Blimey, I wish I'd known they were available - I was seriously considering one - but was told they weren't out yet and my old interface had gone to that studio in the sky.

Ho-hum - the money's spent now, and I am quite happy with the Crimson. It's a bit less expensive too.

The SPL Crimson is also a monitor controller that operates without the host computer being one, which is very handy for me, as I can put my Nord Stage through it without having to have a mixer wired up in the house - which is a bit of a no-no from a wife perspective.

But the main attraction is that it's got an analogue feel and sound to it - which suits me down to the ground...
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

@mikeybabes ahhh I see well Im glad you at least got a new interface haha mine sadly flew up to the studio heavens as well but thanks for the input on the crimson. Now I just need to figure out this whole card mumbo jumbo and Ill be good for my setup (mostly vocals)
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Another quick question, since people are saying the converters of the babyface pro exceed those of the apollo does this mean the sound output is "better" I guess you can say but does it affect the input quality too say if i record with a mic? My babyface is delivered tomorrow so I will run various tests but I still have a time period to test and return for the apollo if I believe it doesnt suit my needs. The uad cards do seem like a good idea but the pres are a pretty sweet touch to the package of the apollo yet idk if pres are really even needed since im assuming you can color sounds other ways ITB
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
...people are saying the converters of the babyface pro exceed those of the apollo does this mean the sound output is "better"
Not sure where people are getting this info. From the manuals:

baby face pro
A/D:
114 dB snr
-104 dB thd+n
D/A:
118 dB dnr
-102 dB thd+n

Twin
A/D:
118 dB snr
-110 dB thd+n
D/A:
118 dB snr
-107 dB thd+n

Twin has slightly better spec's than the Babyface Pro.
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Does those stats mean its going to technically sound better or cleaner?
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, in any case the differences will come from the pres, not the converters.
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Maniac

The pres dont fuel the monitor sound though right? And anyone else that has used a bf or apollo wanna chime in on their picks?
Old 29th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I ordered the RME BF pro and it should be shipped off tonight so Im pretty excited about that. Now im very interested in these cards you guys speak of. I will research them more but I definitely want to get one for the plugins
Where the heck was this? I'm on three lists
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The pres dont fuel the monitor sound though right? And anyone else that has used a bf or apollo wanna chime in on their picks?
Nope, and those specs are from A/D converters.
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

LoL i got it from adorama they had like 5 left haha Im not sure if they have anymore but yeah mine is technically here but I missed the drop off with ups so its getting re-delivered tomorrow. Will this bad boy be able to power my hd600? And Im still looking for opinions on the interface showdown listed
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
LoL i got it from adorama they had like 5 left haha Im not sure if they have anymore but yeah mine is technically here but I missed the drop off with ups so its getting re-delivered tomorrow. Will this bad boy be able to power my hd600? And Im still looking for opinions on the interface showdown listed
Oh, that's awesome, may pull the trigger (though I'm right at that dicey part of the month. Never heard of them.

@senns: It should. That's the whole point of having the high and low Independence jacks.
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Ill let you guys know what I think of it tomorrow evening. But I still might get the apollo if I feel like it would better suit me but like I said im still looking forward to hearing from others on it.
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Not necessarily, but quite often it does. Since the BabyFace Pro has only just started shipping, I thought the stats might be helpful.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search