The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Babyface Pro vs. Apollo Twin duo USB! Audio Interfaces
Old 16th November 2015
Here for the gear

My only concern would be UAD plug-ins, if you have reasonable plug-ins there's no reason to choose the Apollo over Babyface imo. I've sold my Babyface and I can't tell how regretful I'm (still using an RME 9632 in my desktop though).
Old 16th November 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks for your feedback guys. I'm going to hold off a bit, unless the Apollo goes on sale for the Holidays or I find a FireFace 800 deal.
Michael
Old 20th January 2016
Here for the gear

they don't have 4 unamplified balanced lineout on the RME babyface pro..so stupid.. truly ******** from rme.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSinae View Post
they don't have 4 unamplified balanced lineout on the RME babyface pro..so stupid.. truly ******** from rme.
Babyface is supposed to be _portable_ interface, just buy Fireface UC if u need more outputs..
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

+1 on that. I use a HDSP9752 in the desktop with two 8I/O ADAT interfaces. When I need more than a couple of IU/O on the portable rig (Babyface) I just take a long one of the Focusrites from the studio box. Easy.
Old 25th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post
For my workflow, the main problem with the Babyface Pro is that it doesn't include dynamics processing in its low-latency monitoring interface. I find that essential for artists to be able to hear themselves well without me needing to record at hot levels. RME's drivers are a bit better, in my experience. And the sound quality of the two is both good enough that it won't really affect things either way. If I were in your position I would look at a used UCX or Fireface 800 that had dynamics in the monitoring chain, but if you don't need dynamics and are ok with just EQ/verb in the headphones mix, I would expect the Babyface Pro to be slightly more reliable.
Sorry if I don't understand your point. This means that the Babyface pro doesn't allow to monitor your signal processed by Daw? I means, if I put an amp simulator on a guitar connected to Babyface, I can't hear the guitar sound with fx but just the dry guitar?
Old 25th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackontheroad View Post
Sorry if I don't understand your point. This means that the Babyface pro doesn't allow to monitor your signal processed by Daw? I means, if I put an amp simulator on a guitar connected to Babyface, I can't hear the guitar sound with fx but just the dry guitar?
It absolutely allows monitoring processed signals from the DAW. Just costs a bit of latency but that goes without saying.

I think what he means is that he would like to have a compressor (dynamics) on Total Mix FX for real-time/zero-latency monitoring with such effect. Babyface Pro offers zero latency monitoring with its built-in EQ and reverb/delay but no dynamics/compressor. I recall a RME representative saying that having a compressor would require a second FPGA chip and it was not possible to have it there along with everything else they wanted.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Nut

Good day my friends

i bought apollo twin USB 3 WINDOWS,i am not very experienced with these interfaces

Its really awesome but i think it might have a problem

If i turn all the way up the input gain to -65 db from -80db i hear crackles and pops when i singing to the microphone,is this normal cause of the exhaust increase of the preamp or this should not be happened????

These artifacts are happening when i blow air into the microphone or in some specific letters pronounciation such as - Pai - or P related letters

these artifacts are decreased 90% if i use a pop filter to stop the air,but still have the feeling that something is not correct

But is this situation normal,do u experience the same thing???

already followed UA guidelines for WIndows setup ,tried several microphones,cables and my PCI USB 3 is really good

another fact is that the Neve 1073 preamp gain leds are increasing rapidly as i turn on gain ,4 leds simultaneously in addition to other pres plugins which are increasing one by one led????

thanks in advance
nick
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear
Don't blow into mics! Not good... ever.
Don't plug in a mic into a preamp with phantom on NOR unplug a mic with phantom power on.

Have you tried a different cable? Experiment. With the phantom power off plug then unplug and replug your cable a few times, perhaps they're dirty ... get some DeOxit and clean the cable plugs. Take your mic somewhere and try it there. Take your interface..... etc Get some experienced help to visit your set up or take those components to someone.
Good luck.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I just got the Apollo Twin USB and I am running it on Windows 7 - works perfectly so far. I was torn between the Babyface and the Appollo, like many of you.

A few observations:

1) sound quality is much better than my Focusrite Saffire 56 - the headphone amp is WAY better, the DI is WAY better, and the preamps and conversion are much fuller. I wasn't expecting a significant step up and I was very pleasantly surprised - it's another league up for sure. My Saffire 56 served me very well for the 7 or so years I owned it, but it recently died so I had to get a new interface - I know the sound of that interface backwards and forwards and the Apollo is significantly better from a sound quality standpoint on all fronts.

2) Tracking through plugins is really a godsend - it makes a HUGE difference when using amp sims or even micing a guitar. The Console app is very easy to navigate. I demoed a few UAD amp sims and the experience is way better than running an amp sim at a the lowest latency on the Focusrite - it really makes a difference. The absence of latency when playing through a guitar sim for example changes the whole experience and that difference is not subtle.

3) Latency - when tracking through the UAD Console with UAD plugins you have no latency, but if you plan on tracking VI's or other native plugins etc. with your DAW then the latency of the unit is actually worse than what I had with the Focusrite, which could go down to a 32 buffer etc - the Apollo only goes down to 64. The Babyface would be preferable for those who plan on using lots of VI's I think.

4) stability/performance - I've only been using it for a few days, but so far it has been very stable. I was able to open my old loaded projects without issue. The Unit is built like a tank. It does get noticeably hot when you are putting it under heavy use ( tracking with plugs etc.), but other than that it's great. Everything just worked immediately in Reaper. That giant knob on the unit works great - it's very slick.

5) value - you get a a bunch of great plugins with the purchase - 1176 plug, some EQ's, Channel strip, LA610B preamp emulation etc. So the added $240 over and above the Babyface price, in Canada anyway, is more than justified. The one weakness is that the included reverb plugin is weak, but I already have great reverb plugs and those I can monitor through my Daw without issue anyway since the latency just acts as a small pre-delay for reverb.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Nut

Good day dear

really nice you got aninterface you like

please advise when you open the preamp to record are you hearing crackles if you set up the gain up to -65 db lets say

please advise
thanks
nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I just got the Apollo Twin USB and I am running it on Windows 7 - works perfectly so far. I was torn between the Babyface and the Appollo, like many of you.

A few observations:

1) sound quality is much better than my Focusrite Saffire 56 - the headphone amp is WAY better, the DI is WAY better, and the preamps and conversion are much fuller. I wasn't expecting a significant step up and I was very pleasantly surprised - it's another league up for sure. My Saffire 56 served me very well for the 7 or so years I owned it, but it recently died so I had to get a new interface - I know the sound of that interface backwards and forwards and the Apollo is significantly better from a sound quality standpoint on all fronts.

2) Tracking through plugins is really a godsend - it makes a HUGE difference when using amp sims or even micing a guitar. The Console app is very easy to navigate. I demoed a few UAD amp sims and the experience is way better than running an amp sim at a the lowest latency on the Focusrite - it really makes a difference. The absence of latency when playing through a guitar sim for example changes the whole experience and that difference is not subtle.

3) Latency - when tracking through the UAD Console with UAD plugins you have no latency, but if you plan on tracking VI's or other native plugins etc. with your DAW then the latency of the unit is actually worse than what I had with the Focusrite, which could go down to a 32 buffer etc - the Apollo only goes down to 64. The Babyface would be preferable for those who plan on using lots of VI's I think.

4) stability/performance - I've only been using it for a few days, but so far it has been very stable. I was able to open my old loaded projects without issue. The Unit is built like a tank. It does get noticeably hot when you are putting it under heavy use ( tracking with plugs etc.), but other than that it's great. Everything just worked immediately in Reaper. That giant knob on the unit works great - it's very slick.

5) value - you get a a bunch of great plugins with the purchase - 1176 plug, some EQ's, Channel strip, LA610B preamp emulation etc. So the added $240 over and above the Babyface price, in Canada anyway, is more than justified. The one weakness is that the included reverb plugin is weak, but I already have great reverb plugs and those I can monitor through my Daw without issue anyway since the latency just acts as a small pre-delay for reverb.
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksalonik View Post
Good day dear

really nice you got aninterface you like

please advise when you open the preamp to record are you hearing crackles if you set up the gain up to -65 db lets say

please advise
thanks
nick
I don't get any crackles at any level, even with the gain on max- i just tested this for you last night.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I don't get any crackles at any level, even with the gain on max- i just tested this for you last night.
Soon i will post a video since i am prety sure that my interface is problematic

I have done everything stated in the Universal audio website but still there is a problem

so,i would really appreciate if u could try the same gain i will show in my video in order to check if my unit is faulty

thanks in advance
nik
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksalonik View Post
Soon i will post a video since i am prety sure that my interface is problematic

I have done everything stated in the Universal audio website but still there is a problem

so,i would really appreciate if u could try the same gain i will show in my video in order to check if my unit is faulty

thanks in advance
nik
As I stated before, I get zero crackling at any level, even dimed. You should contact UA support.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search