The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Babyface Pro vs. Apollo Twin duo USB!
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Damn Jewish holidays

For some reason I thought it said that it would be over with before tomorrow. So, what I don't know is if it's backordered and I won't be getting it, or I'm one of the reasons it's now backordered. If I am one of the ones who gets one, guessing it will be next week before I get it.

Guess we'll find out finally tomorrow
Old 6th October 2015
TNM
Lives for gear
out of those two i would get the UAD TB Apollo Twin if on a modern mac and babyface on windows....
Old 9th October 2015
Here for the gear

Have the same question, still cannot decide, but I think Ill go with RME :>
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I chose RME and was not disappointed man. Id say pull the trigger. The apollo is nice but this thing is awesome
Old 9th October 2015
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violunce View Post
I chose RME and was not disappointed man. Id say pull the trigger. The apollo is nice but this thing is awesome
in what way is it better? I'd love to know..

My point was only because i know on windows the rme drivers will be awesome.. and the apollo drivers are yet unproven (is the device even out yet for windows?)

But i'd love to know how the RME bests the apollo when it has just as good converters, and unison mic pre tech which sounds amazing, and zero latency (or close enough) uad monitoring & mixing.
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Never once said it was better but for what RME is, it has better drivers, expandability, more portable, better price point, and on top of that I like the layout of it all but I really do like the concept of the pres on the Apollo but in all honesty Im not going to pay hundreds more for pluggin sounds when i can just buy a real pre that sounds nice and go from there but if you have the mula then the Apollo is a good choice. I just want to expand my setup a little in the future and the RME has been handling tasks for me very well with no issues besides ones I have induced. If you got a few hundred extra get the apollo for windows! Another reminder though, you cant use the apollo for windows with mac and RME goes for both. Just a friendly reminder incase you take it with you and your homie doesnt use pc just my input though.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
in what way is it better? I'd love to know..

My point was only because i know on windows the rme drivers will be awesome.. and the apollo drivers are yet unproven (is the device even out yet for windows?)

But i'd love to know how the RME bests the apollo when it has just as good converters, and unison mic pre tech which sounds amazing, and zero latency (or close enough) uad monitoring & mixing.
I've only have had mine for about 10 hours and so far and it's good first impressions.

The drivers are better. Two things vs my FW/TI chipset cards: A) Better latency with the exact same specs (about 3ms better) and better CPU overhead. B) One big problem I was having is if I had more than one project open (a bonus with reason) the CPU was being driven too hard. So, when scrolling it would pop/click. Now I can have more than one project open and there is no poping/clicking when scrolling. It's a big deal for me personally.

I still have a MOBO issue that needs to be addressed but it's a real step in the right direction. (of course I'll eat my words tomorrow when I open it up and it's totally different! )

Totalmix is a bonus. Still haven't figured out how to get the verb to work but the EQ is handy and tasty for me with guitar and bass. Tomorrow I'll get deeper into routing (I have the groove 3 account that I use all the time and it just happens to cover this so I'm learning in increments)
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

@lovessuperstrats whats your MOBO issue? I use to have that popping noise on my desktop as well but the babyface helps it a lot. I believe it to be the motherboard or hard drive going to hell. By the way, Idk if its the same for you but when I go into my daw and use my BFpro as the soundcard or ASIO device as they call it, whenever I arm a track it makes a weird glitching noise but its only when i arm it or disarm it. When i run off wavesrt it doesnt do that. Im just wondering if its the same with you or if its different in your Daw
Old 10th October 2015
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
I've only have had mine for about 10 hours and so far and it's good first impressions.

The drivers are better. Two things vs my FW/TI chipset cards: A) Better latency with the exact same specs (about 3ms better) and better CPU overhead. B) One big problem I was having is if I had more than one project open (a bonus with reason) the CPU was being driven too hard. So, when scrolling it would pop/click. Now I can have more than one project open and there is no poping/clicking when scrolling. It's a big deal for me personally.

I still have a MOBO issue that needs to be addressed but it's a real step in the right direction. (of course I'll eat my words tomorrow when I open it up and it's totally different! )

Totalmix is a bonus. Still haven't figured out how to get the verb to work but the EQ is handy and tasty for me with guitar and bass. Tomorrow I'll get deeper into routing (I have the groove 3 account that I use all the time and it just happens to cover this so I'm learning in increments)
so the apollo latency via usb 3 is 3ms higher at the same buffers? you managed to test this? well that's VERY interesting! I guess the thunderbolt one, and mac version has better drivers.
Enjoy your babyface!
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I think the new converters helped a lot in the bf pro to give it that extra bit of low latency. The Apollo twin duo for windows still uses the same converters from the originally shipped model (makes some sense but if its a new unit why not upgrade them?)

Also even though the bf is usb 2.0, the way RME implements their technology, they were able to achieve the low latency even with that so 3.0 is more of marketing scheme at this point especially with the new usb-c cords coming out.

And like I said before, the option of s/pdif in/out makes the bf pro even better. I really like the UAD plugins but sinces its only a duo, you use up the Dsp really fast so you wouldnt be getting all the joy you think you would out of it without spending another 500-? Amount of dollars.

Its all up to you guys though man, Im happy with my baby
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear
After reading/following along, I still think the BF Pro would be better, but I really wish the layout wasn't so "octopus" spazz. Maybe I can put it on my pull out shelf and not see the wires spaghetti, so much. Maybe I'll come up with the funds for a rack RME model.

Michael
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

For now, mine is sitting on my small desk and to be honest I didnt even notice it looking like an octopus haha but its not that bad at all man. The usb cord it comes with is designed at a right angle so it lessens that effect as well
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violunce View Post
@lovessuperstrats whats your MOBO issue? I use to have that popping noise on my desktop as well but the babyface helps it a lot. I believe it to be the motherboard or hard drive going to hell. By the way, Idk if its the same for you but when I go into my daw and use my BFpro as the soundcard or ASIO device as they call it, whenever I arm a track it makes a weird glitching noise but its only when i arm it or disarm it. When i run off wavesrt it doesnt do that. Im just wondering if its the same with you or if its different in your Daw
Not the same issue. Mine is that I can't run the ram in dual mode and can't overclock it.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
so the apollo latency via usb 3 is 3ms higher at the same buffers? you managed to test this? well that's VERY interesting! I guess the thunderbolt one, and mac version has better drivers.
Enjoy your babyface!
I don't own the apollo, just comparing the BF drivers to what I previously had.
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear
After posting that this morning, I got a newsletter from UA saying they have a promo going for the rest of 2015 on the Apollo Twin's(TB or usb) with extra free plug ins.

Apollo Twin - Premium Plug-Ins Promotion

Sorry, if I've made you see it that way! LOL I do prefer a clean desk and can handle a headphone plugged in front and maybe a couple temporary cables for something. I really like having the wires organized in the back.

I seem to remember seeing a desk with a lid with a cutout so the top of the I/O was accessible, but the wires were routed under the lid. I guess I could do something like that.

Michael
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Maniac

That 610 plugin looks nice cant lie haha but Its still up to you, Im still going to stick with the Babyface
Old 11th October 2015
Sucks since I just bought the 610A. Oh well, I already have a Twin, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I've been on the fence about the EMT140 as well. Sounds like a great deal.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Maniac

@nicksu how do you like your twin and do you have a different interface you could compare it to?
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear
I'd like to hear your comparisons, too, @nicksu.

According to the UA page,
"Already own any of the promotional plug-ins? No problem. Purchase and register a new Apollo Twin SOLO or DUO and you’ll receive a single-use coupon of equal value to the plug-in(s) you already own."

violence I'm still thinking the RME will have better RTL and since I already have an OctoPre Mkii, at least some of the cables will be tidy! LOL
Michael
Old 12th October 2015
I have an older Pro Tools HD setup with 192 I/O's. I haven't done direct comparisons, but I think the Apollo holds up well. I'm not doing the same kind of productions anymore though. I don't record full drum sets and do large mixes anymore, so it's even harder to compare. As for the Twin, I really love the simplicity. I don't have to worry about adjust buffers for latency. I used to love my HD system because I could monitor through TDM plugins. That was one of the biggest advantages. I bet the TDM system has lower latency, but I can't tell much of a difference.

Thanks, mcintalker for the heads up on the plugin promotion. I actually just ordered an Apollo 8P to use with the Twin and an Audient ASP880 for my portable rig. I wonder if I can get an plugin deals with the 8P purchase...
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear
You're welcome. I am not doing real drums anymore, and my "lots of tracks" is probably not many at all.....like 25-30. I do want to monitor with reverb/delay when my wife or I track our vocals, and I like to be locked into the beat (I hardly ever use a click. It's all loops or I've written a drum arrangement sketch), so RTL is a biggie. I have been hoping that usb3 would improve things for my PC/Sonar Platinum set up, but it seems that RME is still the safest bet for now. I suppose that could change fairly quickly, but .....
Michael
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Again...just so we are clear. With the Apollo, latency ONLY becomes an issue if you need to track using non UA plugins.

IF you are tracking through the excellent UA plugs, including compressors, EQ, reverbs etc. There is ZERO latency (or as close to zero as possible) because the plugs ride in the UA Console NOT in your DAW.

In this respect, it makes no difference what protocol UA used for the interface.

Here is another way to think of the concept: Imagine Apollo had NO CONNECTION to the computer directly as an interface, but had an ADAT out. You could still use its mic preamps and plugins in real time and just output through ADAT with zero latency.

So again...maybe the RTL issue is moot? RME can't track through UA plugins, and tracking through 3rd party plugs is not Apollo's strength.

Cheers
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I monitor with in my DAW with plugins with very low latency and I love it haha. It would probably be better to do it through the actual Interface though to maximize the low latency but it really does help when I can hear my eqs and compressors I have setup in my Daw.

Either route you go you cant lose honestly. Im probably going to buy a UAD card in the future to get the plugins from them but then again I might not. I need to see how big of a difference they are from others on the market.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac

So I sent my babyface pro back because of a button issue and Im using my friends presonus 44vsl for a backup and this thing is horrible sounding compared to the babyface.

Idk if its the line in thats not bypassing the pres when i use my Isa one (even though it says it does) or if its the converters but it sounds nowhere near as good as the babyface.

This makes me wonder, how good are the converters in both the apollo and babyface and I wonder if there is a noticeable margin between them.

I will be receiving a refund for my babyface or I can get it replaced although im afraid that it will still have the button issue sinces almost everyone I know is experiencing it. *sigh* when will it all end lol
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

In my not so humble opinion, presonus makes the worst sounding boxes in the biz.

Sorry to hear about the babyface.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Man do I ever agree with you bro hahaha hows your babyface holding up? And hows the buttons?
Old 15th November 2015
Here for the gear

I own both bf and Apollo. I use Apollo for production room and the Bf for my travel rig. I can say this, the rme sounds 3x better in my mixing room vs In an u treated room. Both can get pro results if your room is treated properly. ( sound panels, traps, DIFFUSERS!!!)
Old 15th November 2015
Here for the gear

I own both bf and Apollo. I use Apollo for production room and the Bf for my travel rig. I can say this, the rme sounds 3x better in my mixing room vs In an untreated room. Both can get pro results if your room is treated properly. ( sound panels, traps, DIFFUSERS!!!)
Old 15th November 2015
Here for the gear

If you like uad plugins get the Apollo if you don't need them get bf. I prefer the da on the bf personally. Both pres sound clear and transparent. Can't go wrong with either choice quality wise
Old 16th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Thanks homie I have the babyface and its pretty nice man.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search