The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Babyface Pro vs. Apollo Twin duo USB!
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

I wonder how these will compare from a general latency/performance standpoint - how's the Appollo latency performance on PC?
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I wonder the same too. Hmmm i hope more people comment on this thread lol i search stuff about this on google and this thread pops up (ironically) so it does seem to stir up conversation. I think either choice will be good since i looked at the stat sheets of both with a quick glance and nothing really stood out. Still looking for more opinions though.
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

Feeling a great deal of pressure to pull that trigger.

Turns out that the focusrite saffire 14 isn't the best sounding card (swapping out my older m audio sounds much better, very worried about the drivers though)

Free expedited shipping. I don't think I'd have to pay tax. Never heard of these guys before though (and I'm clear across the states in cali)
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

No tax on the babyface and free fast shipping! I just got mine and am literally about to unbox it now Im going to make an unboxing vid too! But yeah its a credible source for sure man. I have an maudio mtrack and it sucks for the headphone outuput (cant wven find the stats for the thing) and I know the BFP is a humungous upgrade to it. If you dont have the extra few hundred for the apollo id pull the trigger on the bfp since it will definitley last a very long time with its build construction and the drivers too are probably the best in the field of portable intefaces. All in all its a very very good investment to me but im not sure what youre really after. I will post my thoughts on the BFP later tonight as well
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

The Babyface so far sounds very niceee it powers my headphones very well and I heard flaws in my mixes and others peoples right away. The quality in terms of how they sound in my monitors isnt that big of a difference at least at normal audio levels than my other interface. The pres sound pretty neutral from what I can hear from them and I think this is overall a great interface. Still learning the perks of it though and need to figure everything out but it seems pretty easy to use and has a nice sound so far!
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovessuperstrats View Post
Feeling a great deal of pressure to pull that trigger.

Turns out that the focusrite saffire 14 isn't the best sounding card (swapping out my older m audio sounds much better, very worried about the drivers though)

Free expedited shipping. I don't think I'd have to pay tax. Never heard of these guys before though (and I'm clear across the states in cali)
I had the same experience swapping out my trusty M-Audio Delta 66 and 1010 with a MOTU Ultralite AVB.

The difference was immediately heard, even with my 55 year old ears.
To be honest I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

The thing sounds lovely but I cant notice too much of a difference from my old interface in terms of sound quality in my monitors. It definitely powers them better and is cleaner at higher levels but I have run into a few issues. One, the interface's buttons are unresponsive at times and need to be pressed hard or at a certain spot for them to work. Second, when changing sample rates in win 10 the headphone output goes bonkers and emits a very nasty, continuous sound until you unplug it and plug it back in (which fixes the issue). Other than that the drivers havent done anything stupid and it runs very fluently in my DAW. This thing is built like a tank and feels great in the hand. The ports are really nice and the high impedance port seems to power my hd 600s at the perfect level (phewww). The pres sound very neutral and clean but there still needs to be more testing done on them in terms of them vs my old interface. ITB is where this guy really shines though and the totalmixfx helps smooth everything out. Overall, I really like the babyface and probably wont be returning it unless I find these buttons to be a big problem (which i might because who ships crappy buttons on a $750 interface) though the apollo has the uad plugins which are still making my mouth water but then again maybe it wouldnt even be worth sacrificing the driver stability and such that this offers. Nonetheless I still hope to hear more from you guys
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violunce View Post
The Babyface so far sounds very niceee it powers my headphones very well and I heard flaws in my mixes and others peoples right away. The quality in terms of how they sound in my monitors isnt that big of a difference at least at normal audio levels than my other interface. The pres sound pretty neutral from what I can hear from them and I think this is overall a great interface. Still learning the perks of it though and need to figure everything out but it seems pretty easy to use and has a nice sound so far!
1)What was your prior interface?

2) is the headphone quality notably better
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Maniac

Actually after a test of the pres I actually am finding my other interfaces to sound almost clearer and warmer in a sense but then again I might need to fiddle with the settlings a tad more. I have a crappy maudio mtrack which was like $80. This is scaring me because the pres dont seem to be overwhelming me at all but I will do some different tests when i get home since I am in class atm. The headphone amp does sound leagues better though, its probably because the power output is higher on the babyface. The sound comes through clear and crisp though nonetheless. The pres and the minor other things i mentioned are whats concerning me. Dont mark my word on the pres yet until more tests are done. Havent even got to use the eq and such yet but still at a base level id think they should outpreform my other interface.
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear

That's interesting.

Yeah, this profire 610 sounds better, but the drivers are the issue. Now, knock on wood, I've used it all day and it's been fine, but we'll see.

THAT is the number one reason I'm interested in the babyface. I'm sure it sounds great, but it's the famous RME drivers I'm most interested in.

@TANK: That's kinda what I expect. Not really sure I follow about the buttons though, is there a problem?
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Maniac

Now after some tests it doesnt seem to be a big difference at all actually lol I switched computers and fiddled with the settings a bit. Thats crazy though how this Maudio Mtrack sounds pretty much just like the RME Babyface with a few little differences if you play tracks side by side but it could just be the gain outputs or something. This either means both pres are very neutral or this $80 maudio has a great pre in it haha but I still love the sound of my babyface. The pres probably are just very similar because their design is probably to sound clear will minimal color. Aside from the pres Im really digging all the features the babyface has in it. I think this just a great device overall imo
Old 1st October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
I researched the forums and didnt find any topic concerning this (besides older ones with older gear) but a friend on here pointed out to me that the Apollo Twin Duo is now available for PC! To me that straight blew me out of the water because I was so focused on buying the RME Babyface Pro that was just recently released. I am looking to upgrade my current setup and I needed a top of the line portable interface. Bam! I seen the new babyface releasing and was overjoyed because I know RME makes one of the best portable interfaces out there, the babyface. Now Universal Audio wants to make a comeback to this, Im assuming with the new release of this device. I am now stuck because I once again cant decide on a device I have come to love this forum very much since it has expanded my knowledge on music 10 fold but Im still new to most of this. Can anyone help me decide between the two? I know the UAD has amazing plugins and thats making me lean towards them but I hear the new RME strikes back with its lovely sonic abilities. All opinions and new knowledge are welcome and I highly appreciate any answer anyone has to give to me. This thread might help someone in the future too so please guys help me and whoever else may be wondering out!

Current setup:
-Bluebird and Spark mic
-Maudio Mtrack (really cheap I know hence the upgrade)
-PC
(will be getting a new mic too along with a pre)
hi buddy, im in exactly the same boat
from what my basic knowledge is weighing up
the babyface pro has a pair of line inputs which may go direct to ad
and gives the choice of an external preamp for flavour
also sdif can run a digital mic pre in like the audient mico

so for stability and expansion im leaning toward this
plugins on apollo seem good
i have got some sony oxford and very happy with them
i want as much juice going to my daw
and in that the rme seems to have it for me

i sympathise as i have racked my head the last few weeks with research
i nearly got a prism or pure 2 antelope

i hope you find the way through the shiny gear mist
Old 1st October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwilderness View Post
hi buddy, im in exactly the same boat
from what my basic knowledge is weighing up
the babyface pro has a pair of line inputs which may go direct to ad
and gives the choice of an external preamp for flavour
also sdif can run a digital mic pre in like the audient mico

so for stability and expansion im leaning toward this
plugins on apollo seem good
i have got some sony oxford and very happy with them
i want as much juice going to my daw
and in that the rme seems to have it for me

i sympathise as i have racked my head the last few weeks with research
i nearly got a prism or pure 2 antelope

i hope you find the way through the shiny gear mist

sorry just realised you got the baby
ive got an m audio c600 fast track,and yes the subltle differences when i used the forte were just detail more airy clarity
i guess its more in the way we mix then these days as even the 100-600 pound interfaces dont seem to have a huge diff, they all appear balanced in thier own way

i figure were recording now with much clearer sounding equiptment than the old days, but clear dosent get warm like those old recordings of yesteryear
maybe thats what we seek, dont know for sure

but its a minefield, will clarity satisfy as much as fat and wolly
equal measures i guess, my m audio sounds wolly and fat
old forte roland octo and even audient sound clearer but not as warm in the bass

i refer back to better mixing is where its at from what i read
i hope you enjoy the rme man, im thinking stability then sound

and my ears will do the sound, i figure the unit is capable whatever it is
a nice mic, fairly dry space ...... and cook it
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear

These types of comments and the shootouts are what's keeping me from upgrading my Saffire 56 - it just doesn't seem like any of these interfaces are enough of a step up.
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear
Being on PC with Sonar Platinum (and about to go to Windows 10 on both laptop and desktop DAWs), the looming option of USB3c keeps me waiting and hopeful that I'll be able to make some kind of leap (like TB). Apollo Twin Duo USB (3 by the way) just got announced and that seems to be "most likely" for me, though RME always seems to stay at the top of the PC pack.
Michael
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Maniac

Lol thats what this whole thread was about!! The Babyface pro vs the usb 3.0 apollo twin haha im just trying to get some newage gear opinions but I have the babyface in my possesion now. I might return it for the apollo twin but then again it doesnt offer the same expansion and the drivers arent as good. This totalmix is clear as mud though lmao but still does a nice job of doing things. Im going to get a isa one pre for this bad boy or maybe even something else. I dig it though and I do think if you have the cash its a great stepup from the maudio mtrack i have lmaooo even though I could drop a radio ready track on either.
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear

The Apollo Twin USB can't function with Mac, that's a deal breaker. Why they release models that exclude from the other platform?
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
The Apollo Twin USB can't function with Mac, that's a deal breaker. Why they release models that exclude from the other platform?
Maybe that's just for its initial release or they want to clearly separate software product development for each platform.. I don't know, just my speculations.
On the other hand, I'm not aware of anyone with current Mac, who would prefer USB over TB version.

Michal
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Maybe that's just for its initial release or they want to clearly separate software product development for each platform.. I don't know, just my speculations.
On the other hand, I'm not aware of anyone with current Mac, who would prefer USB over TB version.

Michal
To me it simply seems they wont deliver support for the other platform. That is a big limitation for me.
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear
Yeah, that's why I showed up here. It's a case of don't type till you've had coffee! LOL

As a PC user running Sonar Platinum, there are lots of things that I've been on the other side of "excluded".

Michael
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear
Just another thing..
I'm always bit curious about sound comparisons among soundcards by other users.
In my experience, when you reach certain level of audio performance, it is bit hard to identify differences and appreciate possible audio improvements, when connected to typical home studio rig.. (basic room treatment, budget monitors and headphones.. rest of the recording chain). Eg. weakest link is usually elsewhere in setup.

Bit related question is with testing material.. I see, that it is natural to test gear for intended use.. and by that logic, if for example recording acc. guitar and vocal with existing microphones doesn't reveal sufficient difference, sound quality factor isn't so important anymore and one can pick suitable interface just by price, feature set and reliability.
On the other hand, IME sound quality difference became more apparent, when interface is tested more elaborate way or used in not so typical fashion. I mean for example.. full AD/DA loopback tests with complex and already good sounding material like commercial released music with sufficient dynamics and wide frequency response (eg. not easy tune about sad girl with guitar). One or two passes through interface can be sometimes very interesting for checking, how particular interface affects imaging (lost of depth, narrower stereo image or conversely weaker center), clarity at different bands (eg. dull highs with subdued transients, bloomy bass sounding from everywhere instead of deep centre focus of original, recessed mids) and response to dynamic elements with significant transient content (snare hits stops popping out or conversely became annoyingly more present with every pass through AD/DA).
In area of preamps it is interesting to check performance with passive ribbon mics, which have usually higher output impedance or not so sensitive dynamic microphones. Similarly DI quality can be most apparent, when used with passive instruments like bass guitar.

I'm just talking about that, because it is not easy to accept result of interface sound quality test done by someone else. And sometimes proper evaluation needs deeper thought about all possible (future) uses at your setup and possibly also borrowing of another gear for testing (for instance under free return period).

Sorry for bit of topic post and good luck with interface choice.

Michal
Old 3rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
These types of comments and the shootouts are what's keeping me from upgrading my Saffire 56 - it just doesn't seem like any of these interfaces are enough of a step up.
It's tough. After digging out the ol' 610 it's like sound "opened up" after my saffire 14. I just don't know if getting the world class driver would be enough or if I'd like the sound as much.

Sigh, I just don't know what to do. One thing is for certain, if I decide "**** it" in the next few days, they'll be gone
Old 3rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Annnnnnnnd we're done

Worst case scenario is that they are wrong and actually don't have it, second worst case scenario is that I don't open it and ship it back. I'll also email them with the order number about opened returns (which is unclear because it DOES have "software" )

I just don't trust the profire. My email will be "but what if the drivers suck or the sound quality sucks" and we'll see what they say. If I'm buggered, I have a week to decide if I want to change my mind.

No tax, expedited shipping, looks like a good company. Hope I'm right.

BOTTOM LINE: The profire 610 sounds SO much better than my excellent driver focusrite 14 I'm hoping this will be an even better alternative with better/more up to date drivers.
Old 3rd October 2015
Gear Maniac

Like I said I love the babyface for what it is, I have an Isa one hooked up to it which gives it a more natural clear sound, but the only issue I had was with some recordings on the high end side of things (babyface pres). The Babyface is a great interface imo and I will most likely be keeping it. As for an upgrade to your current interfaces, I wouldnt be able to say. I merely just wanted to know the differences of the 2 i listed. I do hope you all find a quality interface you can work with though and If you choose the babyface you cant go wrong.
Old 3rd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like I said I love the babyface for what it is, I have an Isa one hooked up to it which gives it a more natural clear sound, but the only issue I had was with some recordings on the high end side of things (babyface pres). The Babyface is a great interface imo and I will most likely be keeping it. As for an upgrade to your current interfaces, I wouldnt be able to say. I merely just wanted to know the differences of the 2 i listed. I do hope you all find a quality interface you can work with though and If you choose the babyface you cant go wrong.
What is the latency at 128 buffer/44.1k ?
Old 3rd October 2015
Gear Maniac

128/48k but I think I think I fixed the issue, It would just pitch vocals weird at times and when I said words like "neumann" there was a weird sound in the backdrop of the vocal but I think I fixed this issue. Other than that the thing is rock solid, definitely a great piece.
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

But what is the roundtrip latency at that setting in your host?
Old 4th October 2015
Gear Maniac

2.67ms of latency and Im pretty sure I fixed the issue but Im running through an isa one now anyways but I do love my setup
Old 4th October 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
You are exactly right.
Old 5th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Yup man, if you got some good converters and a few nice ins and outs, i wouldnt even upgrade as of right now. The differences are too subtle only reason I did is because i needed new converters and more expansion capabilities but if you have that youre good dude
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search