The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite wired Windows 5+ button mouse with scrollwheel? Equalisers (HW)
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Favorite wired Windows 5+ button MOUSE with scrollwheel?

I've been hearing good things about people setting up custom buttons on their 5+ button mice, particularly gaming mice. I'd like to macro a bunch of commands (esp in Pro Tools).

So I've been looking at Logitech's G-series (G500-700) and was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions I should take into account. I'd like a wired scroll/tilt wheel with 5+ buttons thats fairly light and compact. I'm done with wireless mouse (unless they come with a charging wire lol) and temporarily stepping away from trackballs.

THANKS!!

Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse - Newegg.com
Logitech G700s 910-003584 Black 13 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired / Wireless Laser 8200 dpi Rechargeable Gaming Mouse - Newegg.com

Last edited by JLiRD808; 17th September 2015 at 12:43 AM..
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

I have a Logitech G5 wired mouse and I love it.. I've tried various wireless mice, including high rez, laser mice etc and I've always sensed lag and jitter. This mouse has been a savior for me.

Works like a champ.
Cable is industrial strength.
Comes with weights to balance it to your liking.
Easy to clean out and restore to new when clogged with cat hair... Don't ask....
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

this is what I am use, although I don't use any macros, there are some buttons available to customize if you choose to.

FUNC MS-3 Revision 2 FUNC-MS-3-R2 USB Wired 5670 dpi Gaming Mouse - Newegg.com
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

I know you said no wireless, but you might want to consider the Logitech g602. It's wireless, but with only one battery in (you can use 1 or 2), mine has lasted a month. The tracking is also better than most previous mice I've had (both wired and wireless) which include other logitechs and razers. It also has a good number of programmable buttons. If you need a tilt wheel, there is the g700, which also has a charging cable, only the battery doesn't last as long in wireless mode. They're not very expensive, either.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I use the Logitech g600 with Studio One v3.
It has 12 side buttons which I've configured to functions I use a lot. It's a very good mouse.
Avoid the Razer Naga, it has to be always online to be used.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

All great suggestions....THANKS!

I *AM* considering the G600, but 12 thumb buttons SEEMS insane to me lol. I think I could get used to it, idk. Doughnuts, does ur thumb slip up and tap wrong buttons sometimes? Was it easy to program for S1?

Maybe 4 thumb buttons is all I would use anyways--but I wish I could try out these suggestions here in Honolulu. The in-stock selection around town is pretty limited to the basic models.

Thanks again....and keep the suggestions coming!!
Old 16th September 2015
Logitech G502. Best mouse I've had using Pro Tools both in terms of programmable buttons as well as precision / tracking.
I use the tilt wheel to switch between Edit and Mix window (among other hotkeys). Works sweet.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
Logitech G502. Best mouse I've had using Pro Tools both in terms of programmable buttons as well as precision / tracking.
I use the tilt wheel to switch between Edit and Mix window (among other hotkeys). Works sweet.
Thanks! So tilt-wheel DOES work in Pro Tools? I've heard conflicting answers to that I also really like the tunable weight factor of the g502!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
You might want to consider the Logitech g602...If you need a tilt wheel, there is the g700
I really like the g602's 6 thumb buttons, but if tiltwheel does work in PT & Cubase, I'd like to implement it. I'm coming from a trackball with no scrollwheel at all, so I have no way to test :( I like the G700s also, just not sure how much I like the way the thumb buttons are layed out

Thanks again!! Any other brands worth considering besides Logitech?
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Thanks! So tilt-wheel DOES work in Pro Tools? I've heard conflicting answers to that I also really like the tunable weight factor of the g502!!
It's bound to work because the buttons just send whatever key combination you want to Pro Tools - on any of the buttons on the mouse. You just configure it in the Logitech gaming software and it is saved in an EEPROM inside the mouse. So cool.
Old 16th September 2015
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's bound to work because the buttons just send whatever key combination you want to Pro Tools - on any of the buttons on the mouse. You just configure it in the Logitech gaming software and it is saved in an EEPROM inside the mouse. So cool.
Wow...ok forgive my ignorance on this one. Do all the Logitech mice save the programming data INTO the mouse? The G700s also?

In other words, these mice can be taken to other studios and have the same commands already set up? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnuts View Post
NICE....is that you??
Old 17th September 2015
I use Razer Naga it's got 12 extra buttons down the side.
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really should take mine out of the box and use it.
Old 17th September 2015
Quote:
Do all the Logitech mice save the programming data INTO the mouse? The G700s also?
Don't know.

Quote:
In other words, these mice can be taken to other studios and have the same commands already set up?
Yes It also has 5 profiles you can switch between with just a click on a special button. 1 = Windows. 2 = Pro Tools. 3 = Some game... and so forth.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Wow....grabbed the fatty 20-button Logitech G600.

I definitely like it, but still not sure if it's THE ONE. The thumb buttons are great, but I only feel comfortable using 6 out of the 12 (with the G-Shift button depressed, I guess I DO get 12 buttons). Still getting used to it and seeing how well it works with my workflow....it's pretty bulky.

The G700s is next on my list. At Best Buy, it filled my hand GREAT. Not as many buttons though :P

Thanks for all the tips!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search