The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME babyface + API A2D VS Apogee Quartet Vs other options Studio Monitors
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

RME babyface + API A2D VS Apogee Quartet Vs other options

Hi!

I have about $2000 to spend, and still deciding what should be next on the list or a good option(At the moment I mostly record personal projects guitar, bass, vocals, some drums, etc and). So I've been recording with the babyface and has worked well, but starting to "need" more channels for drums and to have more flavors(pres / mics)

Actual gear:
  • Interface: RME Babyface
  • Monitors: HS80m
  • Mics: AKG414 XLii, sm57 & sm58 beta
  • Room already treated
  • Instruments

I'm thinking at least 4 pres to record drums(will consider other mics for that), some options that I've considered:

Option 1:
Buy an API A2D(could be used) and connected it via SPDIF (have to buy a converter coax/toslink I guess since babyface has ADAT)
$1800 aprox

Option 2:
Sell the RME babyface(for about $500) and get an Apogee Quartet (then I would only think on pres, without needing them to have AD)
$1000 aprox (if I sell the babyface)

Option 3:
Buy an Universal Audio 4-710d (+4 pres & + line inputs)
$1700 aprox used

Option 4:
Buy a lunch box and a pair of API 512c(but still stuck with two pres)
$2000 aprox

Option 5:
Consider other pres with adat like Audient ASP880, etc but don't think I would give to much use to all 10 pres
$1400 aprox

Overall I'm almost between Quartet vs A2D, feel a quartet is good option that will solve several things(more monitor options, more line in/pres, exc AD/DA, etc), but I also feel that two API pres will suite well and will solve at the moment the need of four, also think those pres keep their value more than this new interfaces that every four years are changing. So I could keep buying those 2 channel with adat interfaces overtime, and collecting some pres. but still not sure which way to go.

I would appreciate any other suggestion/feedback.

Thanks,
PJ
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Spend it on more accurate monitors?
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks Ivansc, Didn't had that in mind yet since that was a very recent purchase. But you are right I could improve my monitor reference. Thinking that with an apogee quartet I can have 3 set of monitors, maybe keep the hs80m, get something like Focal CMS 65 / Neumann KH 120 / Adam a7x, etc and later a pair of mix cubes.

Thing is that now I'm in USA for about two weeks so want to buy something that can travel with me inside baggage(i'm from Costa Rica) so can't be something as big as monitors. But will consider if I can order monitors and ship them via ocean freight.

If monitors are improved (may sell the hs80ms), what option would be next, etc?

Thanks,
PJ

Last edited by pjimcal; 16th September 2015 at 01:38 AM..
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Addict
Option 6:

Buy a Rosetta 200 (~600)
Build a couple of CAPI pres (~800)
Take significant other to a nice italian meal and drink a glass of wine (~$100)

$1500

That's what I'd do.

Edit: I've found separating out pres and conversion gets me the results I want. You may not want to be tied to the API or UA sound 6 months from now. Rosetta 200 is a steal for what it is. So are CAPI pres, and you can add a nice complementary sound (i.e. a significantly different pre) down the road.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Monitors and some basic room treatment, if not already done. Understand the travel criteria but that IMHO is your weak link.
Old 17th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeblues View Post
Option 6:

Buy a Rosetta 200 (~600)
Build a couple of CAPI pres (~800)
Take significant other to a nice italian meal and drink a glass of wine (~$100)

$1500

That's what I'd do.

Edit: I've found separating out pres and conversion gets me the results I want. You may not want to be tied to the API or UA sound 6 months from now. Rosetta 200 is a steal for what it is. So are CAPI pres, and you can add a nice complementary sound (i.e. a significantly different pre) down the road.
The meal and wine is a nice touch haha yeah I think sooner or later I will want the AD/DA separated from the pres, I see myself collecting some pres. Rosetta 200 sounds good! still a bit confused with the 800 version, not sure if same converter quality but more line in, also considering RME ADI-2. Also not sure how apogee quartet converters compare to the rosetta ones. Any Idea?

Thanks!
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjimcal View Post
The meal and wine is a nice touch haha yeah I think sooner or later I will want the AD/DA separated from the pres, I see myself collecting some pres. Rosetta 200 sounds good! still a bit confused with the 800 version, not sure if same converter quality but more line in, also considering RME ADI-2. Also not sure how apogee quartet converters compare to the rosetta ones. Any Idea?

Thanks!
I have the Rosetta 800 with the X-FireWire card which allows me to use it as an interface. Biggest differences between 800 and 200 are the metering and db25 vs xlr connections
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search