The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
horrible macbook interference Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2015
Here for the gear

Post horrible macbook interference

Hi, I use an RE-20 dynamic mic, a LittleLab iVOG, and an Avalon AD2022 for radio work. I use one socket. The same problem occurs in different setups. My macbook pro (flash drive) has wifi and bluetooth turned off. Still, when the RE-20 is somewhat close to the macbook, a horrible sound is recorded:

http://f.cl.ly/items/2z2O3E1I47233Z3...terference.mp3

(sorry for the bad room acoustics; the room isn't treated yet). The same sound is recorded, only quieter, when the mic is further away from the computer.

Is there anything I can do about this?
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

That is normal, with an older style dynamic mic and any computer. Solution: keep the mic away form the computer. (duh!). For the same reason, we don't use computers' internal A/D conversion. Simple!

You have a nice voice, by the way, cool accent to an American.

It is interesting that you use a mic with no proximity effect, and them put something on it to boost bass. You could use a cardioid condenser mic and get that bass resonance without the plug... just a tnought.
Old 13th September 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you, loujudson!

Yes, I keep it away as far as I can. But there's still some inference, which makes me sad, given that I've spent a lot of $$ on a very clean preamp…

You're right. I have the RE20 because they are very forgiving when I interview people who have no mic technique. For my own voice I like the iVOG because it adds some warmth and depth, whether I'm close the mic or not, and it doesn't make the recording sound muddy. Thanks again.
Old 13th September 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Why don't you get yourself a USB mic. This one is great for broadcasting:

Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ | Sweetwater.com
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search