The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Valhalla Reverb Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 9th September 2015
Valhalla Reverb

I'm going to get one of the Valhalla verbs. I need to step up my verbs as I have few, but I have no budget right now so $50 is fine. I do a good about of reverb heavy production and I've been getting by with only logic's verbs.

I'm looking for big, lush, smooth. Vintage definitely appeals to me a lot, but I'm thinking Shimmer might be up my alley.

Those with experience, what do you think?

Thanks.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I'm going to get one of the Valhalla verbs. I need to step up my verbs as I have few, but I have no budget right now so $50 is fine. I do a good about of reverb heavy production and I've been getting by with only logic's verbs.

I'm looking for big, lush, smooth. Vintage definitely appeals to me a lot, but I'm thinking Shimmer might be up my alley.

Those with experience, what do you think?

Thanks.
Shimmer is very specific (does the "pitched verb" thing mainly)

Go for Vintage Verb. It's lush, big and so much fun to adjust.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post

I have Valhalla Room, and have been considering getting an IR verb ... one of the I found was about $50 -- the Liquidsonics Reverberate.

Would you say Valhalla Vintage Verb is more like that type?
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

you can (& should!) demo them all.

Shimmer is a very specific thing. It's super cool, but has a very limited usefulness.

I use Room & Vintage about equally, both are great.
Old 9th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycam View Post
you can (& should!) demo them all.

Shimmer is a very specific thing. It's super cool, but has a very limited usefulness.

I use Room & Vintage about equally, both are great.
Thanks just downloaded.

Quote:

Yeah, just opened shimmer and you guys were right. It's definitely not what I'm looking for. It's neat, but I can't see myself using it much. Don't think I'll spend $50 on that.

On the run right now, but can't wait to try the vintage and room, when I get back.
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Nut

I have both vintage and shimmer. Like others have pointed out, shimmer is more of a specialized effect. I use it from time to time, but vintage is my staple reverb. You can also get something resembling the effect of shimmer, using vintage.
Old 10th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diktatoren View Post
I have both vintage and shimmer. Like others have pointed out, shimmer is more of a specialized effect. I use it from time to time, but vintage is my staple reverb. You can also get something resembling the effect of shimmer, using vintage.
Wow! I love the Vintage verb.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10th September 2015
They are all great. I prefer Room though. It has a lot more controls for making adjustments to the early and late reflections independently. I know VV does the downsample thing, but I prefer the algos on Room, especially Lv-426. At times I follow it with a bit crusher for the same kind of downsampling effect.

You can't go wrong with either Room or VV though.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

At $50 for the quality you get, you can't go wrong with Vintage or Room. I've got both and reach for Vintage more often, but they're both great - especially at that price point.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
At $50 for the quality you get, you can't go wrong with Vintage or Room. I've got both and reach for Vintage more often, but they're both great - especially at that price point.
Yeah, same here. I have them both and Vintage Verb gets used a lot more than Vroom. I guess it's because I'm so happy with the new algorithms in Vintage Verb, as I mostly use those (smooth plate, smooth room and Nonlin).
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I'm liking the Vintage Verb over V Room. It sounds a little more open / clear. And I like the eras options.

Though I'm not crazy about all of the algorithms.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear
Vintage Verb is the most versatile to my ears. I mostly use it for Halls and use my UAD 160 for Plates but if I didn't have the UAD I'd have no problem with the Vintage Verbs Plates and Room sounds.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
I have Valhalla Room, and have been considering getting an IR verb ... one of the I found was about $50 -- the Liquidsonics Reverberate.

Would you say Valhalla Vintage Verb is more like that type?
I bought Reverberate years ago. Rarely use it (even if it's great!) But the ER's are super cool. Don't have a plugin that does them (like Sonnox Verb) this way...so sometimes these scattered delays are amazing.

I also prefer VV to Room (which is fantastic as well!) I wouldn't say it sounds more "open/clear"
(actually I find Room to be more "clear" and transparent/sterile) VV has more mojo and it's workflow, ease of use, large halls but also ambiences is what I click with.

Oh, and NONLIN...love it!

BTW: Don't forget the reverbs in Übermod guys!
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW: Don't forget the reverbs in Übermod guys!
Ubermod verbs are super cool. I esp like the preset called "Dirty Ambient Hall" on keys where there is some space in the track.
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
I use them both all the time. I'm better at tweaking Room so I reach for it more often, but both are equally great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search