The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why dedicated music computers so rare? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Why dedicated music computers so rare?

When we are on the road, especially, we all hate those separate boxes everywhere. It was some progress when we got decent mic pres inbuilt to our A/D interfaces. But is it too much to ask, after 30 years development of laptop, to have a laptops in the market with inbuilt audio interfaces (and transformers!) reasonably priced? Or are the audio workers global commun too small minority to make profitable such a product?
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Market share.
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

I have wanted one on those as well. I don't really care how big it ends up being.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremoverb View Post
I have wanted one on those as well. I don't really care how big it ends up being.
This one can even get you to your gigs...comes with a steering wheel
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
... is it too much to ask, after 30 years development of laptop, to have a laptops in the market with inbuilt audio interfaces (and transformers!) reasonably priced? ...
Here is the answer: look at the back panel of the Alesis HD24.

Now, how do you shrink that? D-Subs? Sure, you can. But each of those 8 channel sub-snakes have to end at some point. It's moving mass, not eliminating mass.

How about mini-TRS's? Yeah you could - in theory, but would you want to handle 48 mini-TRS's? The cables would outweigh the laptop.

And the only laptops that can handle 24, 48 or 64 channels are the old laptops with a built-in network jack, (via Dante or the like) - the new laptops are too thin for RJ connectors. And even the Dante has to have a patch-bay - with or without transformers.

And that goes back to the rear panel looking much like an Alesis HD24. It's all about patching.

best, john
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
When we are on the road, especially, we all hate those separate boxes everywhere.
Wait a minute.... are you saying you hate that one single interface next to your computer?

Or are you saying your band has (for some reason) a BUNCH of little boxes all over the stage?

What pray-tell ARE all those little separate boxes you have stashed on the stage?

I, for one, would certainly not want a high quality xlr/line connector and transformer wired direct to my motherboard. When my mobo goes out on one of my computers, I want to quickly power up safety computer #2 and slap the external interface into one of the usb ports for flawless continuity.
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

All these technological arguments against sound to me very similar than any previous "can't do" -arguments before previous (digital) innovations - which we consider today self evident.

Therefore the answer is in the logic of the mass markets. My guess is that this hybrid is already made in the research labs but after some profit calculations skipped.

Last edited by Harry_O; 6th September 2015 at 05:05 AM..
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

are they?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search