The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DirectX Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th September 2015
Here for the gear

DirectX

Does installing DirectX hurt a DAW system? Want to know because of screencast software (open broadcaster).

Regards,

Martijn
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Nut

You already have it installed if you're running Windows. It's an important API which a lot of things are relying on. It is a good idea to keep it up to date, mainly for improved performance and compatability. So yes, by all means, run the DirectX updater tool Windows will usually update DirectX via Windows update anyway. Some programs will also add modified files to DirectX. It's usually not something you need to bother updating manually these days, provided you're using Windows update. But, it doesn't hurt to do manual updates.
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

Strange, I had it to install it seperately to get open broadcaster to work (missing dll's). Doesn't look like it is in the standard Windows 7 installation. May e it is a backward compatibility pack:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Would that hurt?
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10us View Post
Strange, I had it to install it seperately to get open broadcaster to work (missing dll's). Doesn't look like it is in the standard Windows 7 installation. May e it is a backward compatibility pack:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Would that hurt?
Well it sounds like you just needed to update it. It will be installed already though, unless you have some kind of modified Windows, I guess. But, I can't imagine how things would be functioning without DX.

If you go to the start menu and type "dxdiag" into the search box and hit enter, you'll get a DX diagnostic program open and it'll show you what version of DX you have and what devices you're using etc. You should have DX11, though I think it's possible it may show an older version of DX depending on your hardware (not too sure on that). Anyway, that part isn't really necessary, but it's just a way to check things if you like.

And yes, the updater you linked is fine! Go for it
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks iworkalone, can never be too carefull with your precious low DPC latency ;-)
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search