The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice for hard drive organization
Old 4th September 2015
Gear Head

Advice for hard drive organization

Hey there!

I've been searching about this but didn't find anything really useful anywhere, so I thought I should ask the masters.

I just bought a new HD and I am going to reorganize my digital life, basically this is going to be a HD I'm gonna be using for composing music, and doing motion graphics.

My question is more for music composers, since I don't think this is the place for motion graphics people. How is your folder organization?

I currently have something like:

Audio Projects
Libraries
Projects
Logic Projects
Live Projects
And then inside Logic Projects and Live Projects I have folders with the name of the project (let's say my band has one folder, my personal stuff has another, collaborations has another, etc), and inside each project's folder, I have album folders, then inside the album folders, song folders.

I know it looks a bit messy and you have to go deep to reach a song, but I don't want to mix everything up, and also I have a Project folder inside an Audio Project because in the root I also have a Motion Graphics Project folder. I've been thinking about doing a main Projects folder with the Motion Graphics Project folder and the Audio Projects, but it seems like too much.

I don't know, I feel I am not doing this in the most efficient way. I know when you have a lot of stuff going on it can't be super simple, but yet I feel it messy somehow.

Anyway, how do you do this? How do you manage libraries, and projects? (when I say projects I mean your Logic songs, Live songs, Cubase songs, whatever you use).

Thanks a lot! Let's see if this organizing process is the last one!
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear
In my Documents folder I have separate folders for each type of audio sample. Since my computer's main purpose is being a DAW, I don't really worry about DAW stuff being prevalent, so I don't use a folder called "samples" to put all the samples in. Instead, they are there at the top level of the Documents folder for quick use. Also in there is a Projects folder where I put all of my tune projects. Each project has it's own folder created automatically by Reaper. I also have some FL Studio projects, but they are in a separate folder inside of Documents labeled FLPs. I don't use FL Studio for much so that works out. I also have a folder in documents called Transcodings, for file conversion output. And then I have a folder called Imports for recently acquired material that is non-sorted. And then an Exports folder for stuff that's going to be put online or transferred to my media player or to DVD. Last but not least, of my sample folders, there's one called TuneKits which has samples that go together but aren't perfected or stored in a project file yet. I also have a similar folder called Performances for jam sessions that were recorded but haven't been placed anywhere yet.

Overall, I have a lot of folders in the Documents folder, but it makes for easy access since there aren't many nested folders. I also save the folder locations in favorites to make navigating easier. I've been working this way for several years and it works out pretty well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search