The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Samsung SSD support fail.
Old 3rd September 2015
Here for the gear

Samsung SSD support fail.

I have had 5 Samsung 840pro SSD's [512GB] for about 18 months. 4 of them are for streaming samples and are working great. The other two drives are for recording.
The recording drives worked well for about a year. Then the Write speed dropped to about 80MB/s. Clicks and Pops followed.
Samsung replaced the drives on separate occasions with refurb's. I benchmarked the empty, formatted refurb disk and got the blazing fast performance numbers I would expect. Then, As soon as I recopied my 240GB of data back to the new formatted drive [filling it about half way] the performance fell off to that lousy 80 MB/s write reading. I called Samsung and as soon as the technician realized I was using the drive in an external Drive array connected via thunderbolt, [pegasus J4] he said that was not a supported usage. Any future RMA's will not be honored unless I can show that I tried the drive in an internal usage and get sub-par performance. I have a late 2013 Mac Pro so that won't be happening.

I'm going to give the OWC OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G a try.
See if it performs adequately and keeps a high performance reading even after my data is on the drive. Pretty bummed though since I did a ton of research on the Samsung's....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search