The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio plugins? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2015
Here for the gear

Universal Audio plugins?

Hey guys,

So I'm wanting to purchase some UAD plugins (3 in particular) and I remember talking to another engineer about them and he said you needed a card or hardware to even get them working? is this true? and if so what is the price range of the additional piece you need to get them going?

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm wanting to purchase some UAD plugins (3 in particular) and I remember talking to another engineer about them and he said you needed a card or hardware to even get them working? is this true? and if so what is the price range of the additional piece you need to get them going?

Thanks
The cheapest card is 299 US right now, but you will barely be able to run any of the newer and better plugins on that card - maybe 1 or two instances of the plugin in some cases. The cards range from 299- $5000 ( google sweetwater uad card).

To decide which card you need see here - this chart will tell you how much each card can handle for each plugin:

UAD Instance Chart
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
The cheapest card is 299 US right now, but you will barely be able to run any of the newer and better plugins on that card - maybe 1 or two instances of the plugin in some cases. The cards range from 299- $5000 ( google sweetwater uad card).

To decide which card you need see here - this chart will tell you how much each card can handle for each plugin:

UAD Instance Chart
Nice! thank you for the info! I'm thinking about purchasing the Apollo Twin Solo, will the UAD plugins work if I get this?
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

Yes the Twin is really nice interface. Suggest you get the Duo. The more DSP, the more plugins you can run.
Old 5th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProToolsAddict View Post
Yes the Twin is really nice interface. Suggest you get the Duo. The more DSP, the more plugins you can run.
Sweet that sounds good, I think I'll go that route then and go with the Duo!

Last question, can you install on multiple systems? as I would like to have access to them on both my iMac and Macbook (OS X 10.9.5)... [and possibly my Windows further on down the line, but not essential]
Old 5th September 2015
RiF
Lives for gear

I highly suggest that you consult UA's plugin instance chart to check if the DSP power of a Duo is enough to justify the investment for you. I found the power of a Duo-card extremely limiting. Especially for the newer plugins that tend to eat DSP power for breakfast.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Last question, can you install on multiple systems? as I would like to have access to them on both my iMac and Macbook (OS X 10.9.5)... [and possibly my Windows further on down the line, but not essential]
Using it on both your iMac and Macbook should be working like a charm. It's not going to work on a Windows machine, as it's not supported at the monent and no guarantee if it ever will.

Although a DUO is not that powerfull with the latest and greatest UAD plugins, there is imho enough power to benefit from some of their awesome plugins in your mixes.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice! thank you for the info! I'm thinking about purchasing the Apollo Twin Solo, will the UAD plugins work if I get this?
They will work, but as someone said before, the instance chart is a good read to give you some insight into what you can run and how many instances of them.
I had the Solo for a short while and soon afterwards upgraded into a Duo because I was running out of juice too soon.
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Addict

As others have said, really a duo should be the minimum you go for. I got my 2 solo cards at the same time, but really would be underpowered with just a solo.
Depending on the plugins you use and whether you are going to use them as unfreezble send fxs/busses or on tracks you should be ok.
It just requires sometimes a bit of compromise. If you going to use say 2 or 3 uad reverbs fx sends, and perhaps a couple of eqs on busses and a fatso on one
then with a duo you are probably going to have to freeze a few tracks to keep your dsp meter headroom, should you also want to use uad plugs on tracks.
I actually don't mind this so much as it teaches me to commit and move on.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, definitely go with the Twin Duo. The Apollo Console uses part of the DSP to run, so the Duo is the way to go for most flexibility. You can use the UAD plug-ins in realtime (mon/rec) when tracking from the Apollo Console and then from your DAW FX inserts when mixing.

Quote:
Yes, you can use on multiple Mac systems. Just install the software and configure the UAD software and you can go from one to the other pretty effortlessly. All plug-in licenses are stored on the actual UAD hardware. You can have up to (6) UAD devices (UAD-2 PCIe cards, Satellites, Apollos) sharing the same plug-in licenses, as long as the devices are in the same hardware group (in your UA account). FYI, the Apollo Twin is not Win compatible (Mac only).

Best regards,

Billy Buck
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search