The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So is it fair to say that the Avid Duet and Quartet has been a colossal failure? DAW Software
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

So is it fair to say that the Avid Duet and Quartet has been a colossal failure?

I was thinking of buying an Avid Duet with Pro Tools 12 but then I basically researched the thing on the DUC forums and some threads here and it seems like the thing has been a major failure for Avid.

All kinds of problems about the drivers not working, the Duet doesnt get recognized by my pc/mac, sounds shuts off suddenly, etc.

Any of you guys heard otherwise?
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Guru

I have not had a fun time with my Duet on the Mac/iPad. After a year, I hadn't gone 15 minutes without a dropout. I spent a lot of time chasing around driver and firmware issues without luck. I sent it to Apogee, and they said it was fine. Within 10-15 minutes of getting it back, I knew it wasn't. But they did send me a replacement unit without argument, and so far I've gotten further with it than I did on the old one.

HOWEVER, despite my experience, a lot of people have been deeply offended when I've suggested that the drivers, quality of the hardware, or support have been less than stellar. I take that to mean my experience has been exceptional. There's a lot of brand loyalty behind Apogee, I assume for a reason. So if I don't run into any issues in the next few hours of listening to it, I'll just have to conclude that I got a lemon and some bad luck with some errant troubleshooting. Statistically, it's gonna happen to someone.

I have to say that the words "colossal failure" are probably misapplied. There's no doubt about the sound quality of the unit. It's a fine DA converter and headphone driver. Sadly, I've never recorded through it because of the issues I've experienced. But enough people have reported success with theirs that I've persisted with it, and I'm hoping that it's all sorted out now.

Last edited by kafka; 3rd September 2015 at 01:19 AM..
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I have not had a fun time with my Duet on the Mac/iPad. After a year, I hadn't gone 15 minutes without a dropout. I spent a lot of time chasing around driver and firmware issues without luck. I sent it to Apogee, and they said it was fine. Within 10-15 minutes of getting it back, I knew it wasn't. But they did send me a replacement unit without argument, and so far I've gotten further with it than I did on the old one.

HOWEVER, despite my experience, a lot of people have been deeply offended when I've suggested that the drivers, quality of the hardware, or support have been less than stellar. I take that to mean my experience has been exceptional. There's a lot of brand loyalty behind Apogee, I assume for a reason. So if I don't run into any issues in the next few hours of listening to it, I'll just have to conclude that I got a lemon and some bad luck with some errant troubleshooting. Statistically, it's gonna happen to someone.

I have to say that the words "colossal failure" are probably misapplied. There's no doubt about the sound quality of the unit. It's a fine DA converter and headphone driver. Sadly, I've never recorded through it because of the issues I've experienced. But enough people have reported success with theirs that I've persisted with it, and I'm hoping that it's all sorted out now.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same product.

Did you buy this specific Duet?
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Guru

No, I'm talking about the traditional Mac product. It's the same hardware unit, but Avid makes the driver on the PC/ProTools version.
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Ok well thats not the product I was talking about lol

The one you gut I have heard great reviews about but completely the opposite for the Avid Duet I'm writing about.
Old 3rd September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis Martine View Post
Ok well thats not the product I was talking about lol

The one you gut I have heard great reviews about but completely the opposite for the Avid Duet I'm writing about.
The Duet II is exactly the same box as the Avid branded one - so yes it kind of is - when you're talking about Mac use!

Avid are responsible for the PC drivers.

To be honest, I've never met anyone using one on PC. The Mac units work perfectly for everyone I know with them. There'll always be the odd one that doesn't I'm sure.

I don't know sales figures, so I don't know how much of a success or failure it would be. It might well be a cheaper way to buy PT+ the interface I guess?
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
To be honest, I've never met anyone using one on PC.
I think this is the OP's point about it being a failure.

I like the idea, but don't like it being force-bundled with Pro Tools at almost full price. If they'd sell it for $200-300 over the Mac version and include a full non-expiring copy of PT, I'd be even more interested. This all assumes that they have good drivers, which is hard to tell since so few people are using them.
Old 5th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan View Post
I think this is the OP's point about it being a failure.

I like the idea, but don't like it being force-bundled with Pro Tools at almost full price. If they'd sell it for $200-300 over the Mac version and include a full non-expiring copy of PT, I'd be even more interested. This all assumes that they have good drivers, which is hard to tell since so few people are using them.
Well, to be fair I don't know any PC users that I can think of offhand at least! Everyone running duets that I know runs mac.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search