The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Would greatly appreciate some advice, wanting to create second osx account 4 demos
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear
Would greatly appreciate some advice, wanting to create second osx account 4 demos

Hi there, this is the first time in my life I have ever created another user account before! *blush*
I was reading once here a while back, to create a second account to install all that demo stuff, so if you ever deleted the account it was just all gone.

So i created a standard user - (not a guest, and not an admin), but whenever i go to install anything it asks for my admin name and password..!

this makes me think, won't that just install it into the main library/apps and plugins folders anyway then? What's the point of that?

Of course I can install stuff that don't have installers into the dedicated demo account user's folder, but i can do that and remove all traces of them anyway in my regular admin account. It's the installer stuff with boms and playlists and god knows what here and where that bother me.

I just never want my new mac to ever get to the point that the old one was - i installed so many plug in demos and daw demos over the years, that i never ended up buying, that the machine just became a junk fest. And really really slow.

I want this new one lean and mean but of course i still want to try demos.

So is there a way to create an account where i can install stuff that will not affect the main admin account library/prefes, etc, folders?

Would the solution be to create a second admin account rather than a standard?

Any help appreciated, muchly, i am using OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

Last edited by TNM; 3rd September 2015 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling Only

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search