The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motu 16a Digital Converters
Old 2nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Motu 16a

I got one of these a while back and I totally love it. I'm really just posting a thread because I feel like there is barely any feedback about this unit online. Anyone else out there?
Old 2nd September 2015
I have two and love them too - incredible routing and great sound.
Old 2nd September 2015
Picked one up about 5 months ago. Very happy with it! Easy to use, sounds fantastic, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The Thunderbolt is really nice too. Looking to get a second once I have a console
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Does it play nice with Windows (7) over USB and/or AVB?

Dutchy
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 View Post
Does it play nice with Windows (7) over USB and/or AVB?

Dutchy
Yes
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebo View Post
I got one of these a while back and I totally love it. I'm really just posting a thread because I feel like there is barely any feedback about this unit online. Anyone else out there?
Shhhh keep it a secret, you'll drive the prices up talking about it here.
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Maniac
Barely any feedback?
The gearslutz thread alone is at more than 60 pages...

MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Got the 16A at the beginning of the year and just added a Presonus HP60 to use with it last week.
Running at 88.2k, outputs 1+2 carry the DAW mix to input A on the HP60 for playback, 3+4 carry the control room live input mix to input B, while 5+6/7+8/9+10 carry stereo aux mixes to the external inputs on the first three headphone channels. So the HP60 stays in the tracking room and the talent can just listen to a 50/50 DAW/live input mix from the control room, play with the DAW to live input balance with their mix knob, or just mute those mixes and bring up the 16A control panel on the tracking room iMac for a custom phones mix.
For working with a variety of artists, this is the most comprehensive monitoring solution i've used.

The conversion is really good too.

Last edited by subspace; 3rd September 2015 at 04:39 AM..
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

I have the 1248, which uses the same conversion and is quite similar, and I love it. But yeah, there is a 2000 reply thread in this forum on the motu AVB interfaces, of which the 16a is an example.
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Maniac

I guess I was sort of ignoring that thread because it's about the whole series and a lot of it is based around working on issues and bugs - you are right, there is a lot in there. I don't see much feedback elsewhere though.

Anyways, I love mine, more people should buy them!!!
Old 3rd September 2015
Administrator

I have a 1248 and am really considering adding a 16a soon. The Motu AVB series are fantastic.
Old 8th October 2015
JGM
Lives for gear

Greetings all, a fellow gearslutter just pointed me in the direction of this interface. I started a thread regarding upgrading from a Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic MKII as an ADAT AD/DA for my BLA Apollo. I was also looking at the Ferrofish A16 MKII, Lucid 88192, and Agogee Rosetta 8 or their AD16 cpled with their DA16. As of now however I've narrowed to the Ferrofish or the Lucid. But this MOTU looks intriguing and along the same lines (I know there are differences) as the Ferrofish. My main objective is quality ADAT ADDA conversion for my Apollo at a decent price.
Would love to hear any user feedback who may have compared the 16A with any of the aforementioned units.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

I have the Ultralite AVB and I'm very happy with it. Using it under Windows 10 and it seems to work fine and sounds great. At least to my ears.
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

I saw a live performance a few weeks ago that used it as its main hub, connected via Thunderbolt to a Macbook Pro.
It used DPA mics with Sennheiser digital transmitters and the latency was so low (and the sound so good) that often one couldn't tell whether the sound was coming from the microphones or the singers themselves.

Urban Tales #2: The Lighthouse | What’s on | Trinity Buoy Wharf
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search