The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using a different external HDD for samples on the road Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st September 2015
Gear Nut

Using a different external HDD for samples on the road

Hello guys,

I have a question about using a different external HDD for samples outside then the ones that u use at home.

I am using a macbook pro 15 inch with a G drive external HDD for samples.
I also have another portable external HDD (WD my passport) with the copy of the samples in the G-drive.

I bought the G-drive for main usage at home and My passport for mobility.
I rarely work on the road but sometimes I have too.
However whenever I try to use the portable HDD on the road I would have to find all the samples again and locate the samples of my omnisphere, trilian etc. when I open a existing project.
This little work takes about 30 min everytime and is destroying my work flow outside.
I use logic pro 9 by the way.

Is there any solution for this?
How do other work on the road with their external HDDs if they use a different one then their main one at home?

I don’t want to use a bus powered exernal HDD at home and would not want to bring my heavy g-drive eveytime I work outside.

Anything would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Nut

Would really love an opinion here...
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

I don't think you have a lot of choices here. You could possibly upgrade the storage of your mbp and do it that way, or you could lug the heavy one around. Or buy an external bus powered ssd and use that at home and on the road.
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks for the answer.
I heard that OSX, logic projects and samples should all be in different HDDs.
Thats why I have a custom macbook pro with two HDDs inside. One with OSX and one that has all the logic projects and an external HDDs with all the samples.
I think many have the same kind of set up but do they all use the same external HDDs in the studio and also outside?
I was first using the mypassport as my external HDD for samples in the studio but it was alittle slow compared to the G-drive.
So no options?

I was thinking of buying the retina MBP but there would be only one HDD in the macbook so I would have to bring two external HDDs..
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkentz View Post
Thanks for the answer.
I heard that OSX, logic projects and samples should all be in different HDDs.
Thats why I have a custom macbook pro with two HDDs inside. One with OSX and one that has all the logic projects and an external HDDs with all the samples.
I think many have the same kind of set up but do they all use the same external HDDs in the studio and also outside?
I was first using the mypassport as my external HDD for samples in the studio but it was alittle slow compared to the G-drive.
So no options?

I was thinking of buying the retina MBP but there would be only one HDD in the macbook so I would have to bring two external HDDs..
I think all this is now unnecessary with SSDs.. I use 1 internal SSD for everything on both my computers. Projects and external sounds/samples are in a dropbox folder so both are syncd. Libraries stay on the internals. Works perfect over here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search