The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where to use a new SSD
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Head

Where to use a new SSD

Hi all!

So i've just come into a 240GB SSD, and i have a few options available, so i'm after some advice of where to use it. Here are my three main systems -

Mac HDD (Hackintosh Dual Boot) - Mac OSX -
I only use this for mixing and recording roughs as i've got some problems where Latency builds up and records, but doesnt happen while mixing/playback.

PC HDD (Hackintosh Dual Boot) - Windows 8.1 -
I use this for Home studio recording (16 channels while monitoring/with plug-ins), however i don't do much mixing on it as i prefer Logic Pro, however i'm considering moving to Reaper, for a cross platform DAW as i currently move all the audio files over when mixing.

Both of these share the same machine, but they both run without error (except that one issue on OSX), however they arent the quickest as they only have a Core2 Quad processor, but 8GB RAM.

Laptop HDD - Windows 8.1
I use this for mobile recording (which is a fair bit), and potentially mixing, however it already has an i7 processor and 4GB RAM, so its pretty speedy for a laptop, and i've run into no issues whatsoever with this machine at the moment.

Anyone have any suggestions?

(Also, am i allowed to talk about Hackintoshes?)
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

What system do you use more, and what speed drive is in the laptop currently? 5400rpm or 7200rpm?
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Head

I think its a 7200, but even if its not its doing the job... What would our recommend either way?
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

Buy a second 240 GB SSD. You'll get them for little money and equip both of your Computers with SSD. A Core2 Quad PC will improve tremendously just by the SSD.

I added a SSD to my core2 Quad W7 PC. its like day and night.

Also I did configure W7 to use as little resources for everything not related to mixing and recording. Takes a bit of time and knowledge. However, SSD and a "optimised" configuration -> no need for any new systems for years to come .
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Maniac
The SSD will help with your system's boot time and program load time as well as you plugins. It'll make your Mac/PC feel a little better also, but the results your probably looking for (more plugins and processing power) will come from a better (speed and or cores) cpu with the addition of a SSD as your boot drive.

For sake of just trying I would clone the Mac HD to the SSD and after playing with it for a few day then do the same with the PC HD (don't erase your HD's cause you'll still need them) and from that process you can make a decision.
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Head

Im thinking until i have a problem with it ill keep a Hdd in my laptop. Id love to use it on a win7 desktop system, however for somereason my firewire card only works on win8/osx Mavericks, it blue screens 'memory parity error' when i use/try to install win7 with the firewire card in (and its not Ram, or the video card, its 100% te firewire card causing it). When i first got the desktop it all worked fine on win7, then one day it stopped.... :/

Someone gave me this ssd, and i Will buy another, but until then, what do i start with...?
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Head

I think i Will try it with osx, however im just worried that as its only a mixing system it won't really be needed, plus osx runs smoother than win 8.1 anyways...

Though using superduper, it'll be the easiest thing in the world to transfer, so i might as well!
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Head

Im not really looking for a boost in processing power, just boot time and system smoothness, however neither are awful so really this is more of a luxury upgrade :P
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

The biggest part of performance loss is a system that is not maintained. It takes knowledge but tweaking a OS in the best possible way to do what it actually should will make a quad W7 equal to a up-to-date and out of the box i7 W8 system. Thats part of my daily work as a system engineer. However SSD is a true performance booster. The current CPU architecture is reaching its physical limits and that since quite some years now. I do mixing OTB/ITB/Midi out and recording back 24/96 all at the same time on a Quad...with no latency.
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Head

Update - tried the ssd as the boot disk clone of my osx system, it didn't.seem any faster (its pretty speedy already). Gonna invest in a new pci express firewire card, then ill try it on a win7 system!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search