The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Little help regarding expanding my Apollo + Clocking options. Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

Little help regarding expanding my Apollo + Clocking options.

Hi all,

At the moment I have an original Apollo 8. I also have a Lynx Hilo (2 in/2 out converter)
The Apollo is clocked/slaved to the Hilo via BNC Word Clock, but the Apollo is the primary ASIO device/driver via Firewire 800. I transfer audio from the Hilo to the Apollo via ADAT (for recording), and from the Apollo to the Hilo via SPDIF/XLR AES cable (for monitoring). This works great and gives me a total of 10 inputs for recording, with the Lynx being the preferred converter of choice whenever possible.

I would like to know if I could expand this one step further..

The Apollo does have another ADAT I/O, but I realise this doesn't expand the I/O of the Apollo, instead just allowing 8 channel operation at 96k. This is fine as I can route the Hilo outputs via SPDIF > SPDIF on the Apollo, freeing up the ADAT's. I just use ADAT at the moment because this is how I originally set up the system when I first got it, and haven't altered it.

I'm thinking that something like the Audient ASP880 would be ideal. Great mic pre's and great converters that wouldn't be a miss in this setup.

How would you clock three units together in a setup like this? Would I need to purchase a separate clocking unit? Could I split the BNC Word Clock output from the Hilo, and then route this into the Apollo AND ASP880 simultaneously? I.e http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/bnc-t-adapter-yw03d?

At a push, I realise I could use the Apollo and ASP880 together and just use Word Clock to sync them, minus the Lynx Hilo, but ideally would like them to all work together if at all possible without having to spend a lot more money in a separate clocking device.

Hope that isn't too confusing and makes some sense!

Cheers for any help,
Nathan.

Last edited by euphoria89; 31st August 2015 at 12:49 PM..
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
Hi all,

At the moment I have an original Apollo 8. I also have a Lynx Hilo (2 in/2 out converter)
The Apollo is clocked/slaved to the Hilo via BNC Word Clock, but the Apollo is the primary ASIO device/driver via Firewire 800. I transfer audio from the Hilo to the Apollo via ADAT (for recording), and from the Apollo to the Hilo via SPDIF/XLR AES cable (for monitoring). This works great and gives me a total of 10 inputs for recording, with the Lynx being the preferred converter of choice whenever possible.

I would like to know if I could expand this one step further..

The Apollo does have another ADAT I/O, but I realise this doesn't expand the I/O of the Apollo, instead just allowing 8 channel operation at 96k. This is fine as I can route the Hilo outputs via SPDIF > SPDIF on the Apollo, freeing up the ADAT's. I just use ADAT at the moment because this is how I originally set up the system when I first got it, and haven't altered it.

I'm thinking that something like the Audient ASP880 would be ideal. Great mic pre's and great converters that wouldn't be a miss in this setup.

How would you clock three units together in a setup like this? Would I need to purchase a separate clocking unit? Could I split the BNC Word Clock output from the Hilo, and then route this into the Apollo AND ASP880 simultaneously? I.e BNC T Adapter | Maplin?

At a push, I realise I could use the Apollo and ASP880 together and just use Word Clock to sync them, minus the Lynx Hilo, but ideally would like them to all work together if at all possible without having to spend a lot more money in a separate clocking device.

Hope that isn't too confusing and makes some sense!

Cheers for any help,
Nathan.
Hello Nathan,

Using a BNC T-Connector to daisy chain the clock would work absolutely fine. You would just want to make sure that only the last unit in the chain has a 75ohm Input which will terminate the BNC connection. This is switchable on the ASP880 so you can move it around in the chain.

Try to keep your cable runs as short as possible when clocking via BNC because clocks can degrade quite quickly, especially so when using T-connectors.

If you need any more assistance, please feel very free to drop us a message at [email protected] and we will do what we can to help you out.

Daniel - Audient UK
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for your help. I've sourced a T-Connector earlier today and will give this a quick test using the setup explained above, with a borrowed Behringer 800 MicPre/Converter as the 3rd unit, all via Word Clock. If this works I shall be looking at the ASP800 for myself. Thanks again.

Nathan.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search