The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI latency Keyboard Controllers
Old 31st August 2015
Here for the gear
MIDI latency

So I have an Alesis vortex which im trying to use as a USB MIDI keyboard into sonar professional on Win7 64bit. I have a Liquid saffire 56 interface. the only output im getting is from the MS GS wavetable synth, but there's latency....

SOOOO if anybody could tell me how to reduce this latency or get output going through somewhere else, that would be excellent.

I tried downloading coolsoft virtualMIDI synth, and i see input with that, but no output.

hellpppppppp meeee plzzzz
Old 31st August 2015
The GS wavetable synth in Windows 7 is very high latency for any sort of real-time playing. We've reduced latency on that synth in Windows 10, but not completely.

Pete
Old 31st August 2015
For starters, I always have better luck with using standard midi. Even though I have USB capabilities, in my midi router and one of my midi instruments, I don't bother with USB.

As for latency, have you tried using a proper VSTi (virtual instrument) in your DAW? Also, make sure you have your audio interface's drivers selected within your DAW software. Example, just last night I suddenly was getting a VERY high latency when hitting drums in a drum VSTi...it turns out that my Aardvark audio card's somehow got changed to multi-media within Cubase.
Old 31st August 2015
If you can get GS synth output, then the controller is working correctly. Nevertheless, if you download MIDI-OX, it'll help you diagnose any MIDI issues you may have.

Sounds like MIDI works fine, and latency is not the actual problem here.

You can try routing to the coolSoft synth through MIDI-OX, or use it from a DAW or similar. Beyond that, I'd recommend using their forums for support as any issue is likely specific to that synth.

Pete
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear
There's also a freeware VST "instrument" called MIDI Monitor. If used correctly, it will show if your DAW is getting MIDI input to the VSTi. It just shows the MIDI signals as text.
As for latency, that's a complex question. In some audio interfaces, the audio buffer size influences the MIDI latency. So you'll want to look there first. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Check your DAW's preferences for device settings. There might also be extra buffer settings there too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search