The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the best computer for music?
Old 29th August 2015
Here for the gear

What is the best computer for music?

Well hello there everybody,

Here is what I have been trying to come to a conclusion on:

I have been using a base model iMac with Protools for very detailed music production, but unfortunately it drags, and I am not able to use as many plugins as I want and still have it run smoothly.

I was considering purchasing a Mac Pro. I am caught in between two different models though. There is a Quad Core for $3,000 and a 6 Core for $4,000.

Are these ideal computers for music production?
What would be the best option? Any other recommendations? What should I be looking for?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old 30th August 2015
Gear Nut

Have you considered using OSX on a custom PC (Customac, Hackintosh)?
You could build a monster computer for far less money than what a Mac would cost you.

But it depends on your budget also... perhaps you can afford a Mac Pro and don't want to hackintosh.
Old 30th August 2015
Gear Maniac

I have the Mac Pro Late 2013 Quad Core base model and it is a monster! I have no experience with Protools so I don´t know how efficient it is compared to Logic Pro X that I use and love. Hackintosh is not that much cheaper if you compare part for part, that is the truth. The new iMac Retina is very good to if you upgrade the base model. Good luck man!
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube66 View Post
Hackintosh is not that much cheaper if you compare part for part, that is the truth.
You can build a 6 core Hackintosh and 'silent' fans for about 1000 dollars. For audio you don't need the fancy graphics cards. It will perform about the same as the 6 core Mac Pro, but you will need to spend some time setting it up etc. Thunderbolt might be a bit tricky to get working properly...

Last edited by explorer; 30th August 2015 at 05:27 PM..
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

Any computer really thats super quiet. I like the new Mac Pros as they are dead quiet.

The other important thing is raw power. If you want something ultra powerful, I'd recommend something with many cores. The new Mac Pro's are good in both scenarios but a bit pricy.

PCs are just as good, in my opinion, but just make sure to pick a powerful and quite one. I know many which are way more powerful than my Mac Pro, but have the fan noise level issue.
Old 31st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
PCs are just as good, in my opinion, but just make sure to pick a powerful and quite one. I know many which are way more powerful than my Mac Pro, but have the fan noise level issue.
Not necessarily. Our dual Xeons have 9 fans inside, yet still you have to look at the tower LED (or monitor) to see if it is on.
Old 19th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
You can build a 6 core Hackintosh and 'silent' fans for about 1000 dollars. For audio you don't need the fancy graphics cards. It will perform about the same as the 6 core Mac Pro, but you will need to spend some time setting it up etc. Thunderbolt might be a bit tricky to get working properly...
I'm new to this. Which sites will provide additional information on specific parts for building such a powerful hardware 6 core PC, which could also obviously run Windows?
Old 19th September 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniefondario View Post
I was considering purchasing a Mac Pro. I am caught in between two different models though. There is a Quad Core for $3,000 and a 6 Core for $4,000.

What would be the best option? Any other recommendations? What should I be looking for?

Both are very powerful and capable machines. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Unless you wanna use logic ... stay away from apple .... get yourself a passive comp (i bought mine from Molten, but there s a lot of other great guyzvaround ) if you need zero db or if you want beasts with top support : hp z series or dell precision

If you like the all in one format , have a look at the hp Z1g2

And one more advise be aware of what you read in forums ... some people know what they re talking about ....some just don t , but keep talking .... and giving uneducated advises

Last edited by Jeezo; 19th September 2015 at 09:52 PM..
Old 20th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniefondario View Post
Well hello there everybody,

Here is what I have been trying to come to a conclusion on:

I have been using a base model iMac with Protools for very detailed music production, but unfortunately it drags, and I am not able to use as many plugins as I want and still have it run smoothly.

For most users on gearslutz a quad i7 with 16-32gb of ram should be all you'll ever need. The platform of pc vs. mac makes no difference. How many tracks do you run on normal sessions? Do you use lots of virtual instruments?

A 27" i7 quad iMac with 32gb of ram is a good deal and powerhouse. Should work out of the box with most daw's. The Apple refurb store has a whole bunch of 27" i7 iMac's for $1800-2200 with a new warranty. Upgrade the ram and you will have a great machine for half of the price of a mac pro.(which seems great for video!)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search