The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Snow leopard and interfaces Audio Interfaces
Old 29th August 2015
Here for the gear

Snow leopard and interfaces

I've got an old Mac that will be used only for recording - I need an interface that has 4 preamps that will work with Snow Leopard (can't update higher, and don't have money for a new computer).
I've been looking at the Scarlett 18i8 - their tech support folks says that the drivers haven't been tested with OS X 6, but that it ought to work.
Two questions:
1 - does anyone here have experience with the 18i8 and snow leopard?
2 - any suggestions on other interfaces I should look at? Same price range or below (must have 4 pres)
Thanks guys - I'm new to recording. Any thoughts you have are helpful.
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

After all the problems I had with my 18i6 and running Snow Leopard, I'd avoid Focusrite.

But it all boils down to: reading the documentation to making sure that its compatible, reading online any problems that people have had, and making sure that if you do update the drivers that they work with Snow Leopard.
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

Happily using Ensemble 1w/ 10.6.8
Old 29th August 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help guys. Good to be warned that there have been issues with focusrite and snow leopard. As for the Ensemble 1 - that looks like a great machine, but a bit out of my price range (also it's size might make it a bit difficult to bring on the road for live recordings).
Does anyone have any experience with the presonus 44vsl and snow leopard? Would love to hear about that.
As a relative newcomer to recording, I don't know much about older equipment I might be able to find used. Anybody have suggestions as to what I might look into?
Old 30th August 2015
Gear Nut

I've been running a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 with OS 10.6.8 since 2012.

It has been reliable and stable with Logic 9, Reason 6, Pro Tools 10, Studio One 2.6.5, Reaper 4.78, etc.

Only complaint is that I though it would have a bit less latency: 10.5ms @128 Buffer with Firewire Latency set to Medium in Saffire Mix Control.

The last version of the driver that should work with 10.6.8 is Saffire Mix Control 3.4.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st September 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks Ankely,
Good to know about the pro 40. I got in touch with Focusrite support about the pro 26 (they didn't recommend it with Snow Leopard) but if I can find a pro 40 at a good price, it could be ideal.
Old 4th September 2015
Here for the gear

Update: found a really good price on a presonus 44vsl. I'll go with that for the next bit. If I feel the need to, I can always upgrade in the future, but this can at least get me up and running.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviser View Post
Update: found a really good price on a presonus 44vsl. I'll go with that for the next bit. If I feel the need to, I can always upgrade in the future, but this can at least get me up and running.
Good call. After the disaster of the 18i6, I got a Firestudio Mobile. Love it. The pres sound better, and I have had no connection issues (so far).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search