The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please recommend a new reverb for hall/chamber Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Addict

Please recommend a new reverb for hall/chamber

Hi.

I'm updating my studio and considering a new additional reverb plug in.
I'm already getting UAD Ocean Way and will continue to use UAD plate 140.

I currently have Waves IR-1, and was wondering if there is a more dynamic, natural, easy to sit, and recent reverb, particularly for larger and longer reverbs (hall, chamber, large room).
I don't want to spend crazy money ($1000+), but nor do I want to get someone's pet ultra cheap reverb. I'm interested in a really good modern reverb. Can be native, but open to UAD (is RMX16 too sheeny? 224 too dirty? Sonnox too bright? Is Valhalla actually that good?).

My music is conservative insofar as it's a lot of acoustic and traditional electric and analog instruments in a wide variety of styles. I do tend toward warm. I'm not doing film, hip hop or EDM.

Thanks very much! I love Gearslutz helpers.
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

have you tried Lexicon PCM?
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

For a very natural and real sounding room/chamber reverb you could try Acon Digital Verberate, it made me use impulse responses of room sized spaces a lot less as it sounds so real but is more flexible, since it's algorithmic.

If adore the sound of the UAD Lexicon 224, especially for the Hall algorithms. Big, lush and wide are the first three words that come to mind when trying to describe the sound. I think Valhalla Vintage Verb is a very good alternative. It can come close the the classic Lexicon sound and offers some other interesting flavours as well.

Did you try the new UAD AKG BX-20? I know it's not a hall or room reverb, but I was sold after 5 minutes of playing with it! Very special and organic sound!
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
Is Valhalla actually that good?
Yes they is, but judging from your post it's faaar too inexpensive for your needs at only $50 per plugin Seriously though, he has demo's you can download and try, they just cut out the effect every certain amount of seconds. Give them a try. I currently own the Room and Vintage one's and they do everything I need.

Rev.
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

I'm really digging Exponential Audio's Phoenixverb.
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A440 View Post
have you tried Lexicon PCM?
I haven't. Lexicon is the holy grail, but I recall there was a scare with it being supported a while back. A key person left?
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Yes they is, but judging from your post it's faaar too inexpensive for your needs at only $50 per plugin Seriously though, he has demo's you can download and try, they just cut out the effect every certain amount of seconds. Give them a try. I currently own the Room and Vintage one's and they do everything I need.
No no, I mentioned it for a reason. I'll check it out.
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
try Acon Digital Verberate,
I don't know that one. Thanks. I'll check it out.

Quote:
UAD Lexicon 224, especially for the Hall algorithms. Big, lush and wide
That's good to hear. i heard it was quite ark and a bit dirty, but won't hurt to demo it. I need a demo day!

Quote:
Did you try the new UAD AKG BX-20? I know it's not a hall or room reverb, but I was sold after 5 minutes of playing with it! Very special and organic sound!
Williamsburg!! Fleet Foxes!! Hmm....
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I haven't. Lexicon is the holy grail, but I recall there was a scare with it being supported a while back. A key person left?
That "key person" was Michael Carnes - the guy who makes the amazing Exponential reverbs.

I think as far as support for lexicon that was about huge delay in AAX release but they've since done that.

Funny that the "new modern reverbs" you mention are all emulations of OLD hardware (RMX, 224, etc) but I'd definitely check out Exponential, Valhalla, Acon, Relab and 2c Aether and B2 as great reverb plugins.
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I'm really digging Exponential Audio's Phoenixverb.
Also new to me. Thanks.
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
That "key person" was Michael Carnes - the guy who makes the amazing Exponential reverbs.

I think as far as support for lexicon that was about huge delay in AAX release but they've since done that.

Funny that the "new modern reverbs" you mention are all emulations of OLD hardware (RMX, 224, etc) but I'd definitely check out Exponential, Valhalla, Acon, Relab and 2c Aether and B2 as great reverb plugins.
Thanks for the info about Michael etc.
And good point about old/new!!
And thanks for the good list.
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

+1 for Phoenixverb.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Native Instruments Reverb Classics. They are Softube plugs repackaged so don't let the name fool you. Softube is one of the best at emulations. The RC-24 has some huge ones that are just as big and IMO more natural sounding than 2C Aether.
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

Last edited by JoeDeF; 27th August 2015 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Du
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

Last edited by JoeDeF; 27th August 2015 at 04:47 AM..
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

Last edited by JoeDeF; 27th August 2015 at 04:48 AM..
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

Last edited by JoeDeF; 27th August 2015 at 04:49 AM..
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict
You should strongly consider the Flux Ircam plugins. They are about the most natural I have heard.

The granddaddy of their lineup is SPAT, which is an amazing spatializer as well as reverb. It offers incredible control over nearly every aspect of the sound dispersion and placement. It's going to break your budget, unless you wait for one of their sales (it's still expensive even on sale, but not a grand).

Verb is their reverb plugin; it lacks the extensive spatializing tools, but is an extremely natural with lots of control over reverb behavior and room. Still not cheap.

Verb Session is the "lite" version, with a somewhat stripped down set of controls but with the same great sound. It's pretty affordable, easy to use, and despite the "lite" control set, very flexible within the natural hall category (it's not going to simulate a plate or a spring, though, for instance). I use it all the time, and I'm more happy with the results than I have ever been with another software hall reverb for classical-type ambiance.

To my ear, the Flux products "glue" the sound to the reverb tail in a more seamless manner than any others I have used, demo'd, or heard serious high-fidelity walkthroughs of.

Since Bricasti hardware is in a different category, I am leaving it out of the discussion, but it is stellar and at least as good or probably better than any in-the-box solutions I know of, including (for reverb, not spatilization) Flux. And, though the available convolution impulses for the Bricasti unit sound very good, they aren't as good as the real thing. You might want to check them out, though.

I am also very impressed with Acon Digital Verberate, and it's extremely cheap and it does a great job. Very natural, and also "gluey."

I strongly support Sean and Valhalla, but to my ears VRoom is not nearly as natural as the Flux and Acon products I mentioned. It's a very nice reverb, but I don't think it sounds as much like a natural classical hall as those others.

Joe
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Lexicon pcm bundle. End of story.

Wait for a sale and you can get all plugins for $250.

Set it..forget it.

S0nguy
Old 27th August 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

The PCM is very good, I use and like it. However, I recommend you check out this one as well:

Softube - TSAR-1 Reverb

It sounds very warm and natural, in particular when you dial back the early reflections a little.

Last edited by Tui; 27th August 2015 at 02:56 PM..
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

He asked for halls...no one does halls like lexicon
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

But yeah..check em all out! No harm in that!
Old 27th August 2015
Gear Addict

You guys are the best-er-est! I really appreciate it. Super thoughtful. Umbrella thanks.

My thinking is that for my music, Ocean Way is great for room, my UAD plate 140 is great for, um, plate, and a good hall and chamber is all I really need. I would do Lex PCM if it were affordable (on a deep sale). I use Echoboy for delay. I can use my IR-1 on occasion for specific things as needed, and I must admit that that UAD AKG spring reverb does have its appeal for what I do (imagine if Ryan Adams, Neil Finn, Nick Drake, Robert Pollard and Paul Buchanan got in a room, agreed to cut their talent in half or more, and tried to make a record).

Last edited by slopeshoulder; 27th August 2015 at 06:36 PM..
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also new to me. Thanks.
I really like the small room and chamber sounds. I've never been convinced by any of Valhalla's or Metric Halo's Haloverb small verbs, but the Phoenix is doing it for me on this folk project I've been working on.
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Guru
I was lulled into figuring I could always get Valhalla someday and check it out. I say lulled because I spent a couple of years using the Harrison G-Verb which is very good and also SKNote Rev 250 which is quite something. I finally bought VVV and was really blown away. I don't think of it like reverb, but space. Really wonderful product, and don't let the price fool you! There's a reason people love it. I'm not a reverb maven, but for something that really will add a beautiful space to your music, don't dismiss it out of hand.
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Addict

I really like the Acousticas reverb impulse responses. Especially the lexicon480. Use those inside Reverberate.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear
get a convolution reverb such as ReverberateLE and then download more freeware impulses (sampled reverbs) as you desire. The sound quality of impulse reverbs can be top notch excellence.
Old 1st September 2015
I got Waves H-Reverb and haven't been using IR-1, R-Reverb, Trueverb, or Altiverb anymore.

H-Reverb rules!!!!! And it's amazing on every source I've used it on - from drums, to strings, to winds, to vocals - rock, hip hop, classical...

You can dial that sucker in... big time... it's crazy versatile...

It can be super super subtle yet big, can be ducked from the source, can be huge but not fake sounding.... I love it. Very very realistic, natural....

I can't say enough good about it. I highly recommend it, and suggest at least grabbing the demo

(People talk about the CPU hit but it's never been an issue for me, even using it native... and it isn't as big a hit as Altiverb is for me)
Old 1st September 2015
~East West Quantum Leap Spaces~
Not as flexible as others but it sounds incredible.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
~East West Quantum Leap Spaces~
Not as flexible as others but it sounds incredible.
I am impressed with East West Quantum Leap Spaces, also.

Seems very easy to use, and sounds awesome on orchestral stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search