The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ProjectMix I/O to SPL Crimson or Audient id22?
Old 23rd August 2015
Here for the gear

ProjectMix I/O to SPL Crimson or Audient id22?

Hey Guys,
Got caught up this weekend looking at new interfaces and I'm stepping back a bit to get some perspective.

My question is now:
"Do I REALLY need a new audio interface??"

Here's my setup that has been stable for quite a few a years:

-ProjectMix I/O @ 48k 512 samples 24bit in Ableton Live 9beta
-TI FW PCI card
-i7 OC'd stable 16GB RAM W7 64bit
-KRK VXT6
-Yam HS50
-KRK 10 Sub (but I dont use this since my "studio" got downsized to a 10x11 box :/)
-Senn HD600 with HD650 cables
-Basstraps and foam used moderately but it did nothing for the standing bass waves from the sub...so I really just use the HD600s
-UAD2 Quad PCI
-produce electronic, no instruments in but sometimes a vocalist

So I've been enticed before by interfaces (RME Babyface was the last but despite their rep for drivers, it was wonky in my setup with cracking even at a stable 50us) in hopes of getting lower latency with the newer interface. Now, I'm looking to get better sound quality out of my monitoring set up.
My question though is do I really need a new unit?
Am I really going to notice that much of a difference between the sound of the project mix and something like the Crimson or id22? I can here the diff in my mixes between 44.1k and 48k...but nothing after that, not at this point.

Thanks for your input!!

Last edited by changoblanco; 23rd August 2015 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 23rd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by changoblanco View Post
Hey Guys,
Got caught up this weekend looking at new interfaces and I'm stepping back a bit to get some perspective.

My question is now:
"Do I REALLY need a new audio interface??"

Here's my setup that has been stable for quite a few a years:

-ProjectMix I/O @ 48k 512 samples 24bit in Ableton Live 9beta
-TI FW PCI card
-i7 OC'd stable 16GB RAM W7 64bit
-KRK VXT6
-Yam HS50
-KRK 10 Sub (but I dont use this since my "studio" got downsized to a 10x11 box :/)
-Senn HD600 with HD650 cables
-Basstraps and foam used moderately but it did nothing for the standing bass waves from the sub...so I really just use the HD600s
-UAD2 Quad PCI
-produce electronic, no instruments in but sometimes a vocalist

So I've been enticed before by interfaces (RME Babyface was the last but despite their rep for drivers, it was wonky in my setup with cracking even at a stable 50us) in hopes of getting lower latency with the newer interface. Now, I'm looking to get better sound quality out of my monitoring set up.
My question though is do I really need a new unit?
Am I really going to notice that much of a difference between the sound of the project mix and something like the Crimson or id22? I can here the diff in my mixes between 44.1k and 48k...but nothing after that, not at this point.

Thanks for your input!!
Wow. Your situation is a lot like mine. I was on Projectmix in my old room that was quite good(17' x 12' front wall, with nonparalel sides that went out to 13' on the back wall & exposed wood rafters on the ceiling). Great infact. I moved and my control room went into a 11' x 12' bedroom(I had also switched to ff Saphire pro 24, pretty lateral move). I also have been on vxt's, but the 4s, with the 10s, which I've since sold.

It was a tough transition, but I solved that problem with a ton of Owens Corning 703. Filled the front corners, put big 6" think panels behind me and of coarse first reflections. Cost about $500. I still want to get some Sofit bass traps from GIK, but the room is pretty good.

I also went from the ff to the Audient iD22. The Audient sounds a lot better. The clarity it had is amazing compared to both ff and project mix. So yes you will notice a huge improvement going to Audient. Definitely address the room acoustics to really realize that difference.

Last edited by chinesewhiteman; 23rd August 2015 at 11:59 PM..
Old 24th August 2015
Here for the gear

Wow, very similar indeed.
Did you just keep adding 703 panels until you found it acceptable?
Unfortunately behind me is a sliding glass door that I've put bookshelves in front of. Not ideal I know..just working with what I got.
So now youve got me back to the room acoustics thing which then begs the questions:
Does my PMIO sound muddled because of my room? Or is PMIO just muddled? Or is it the combination of the room AND the PMIO??

Oh joy.
Old 24th August 2015
The easiest answer if it's the room or the unit is if you had the unit in your other room too...

The PMIO is definitely not great sounding. However I'd prioritize the room first.

I TOO have a large glass sliding door in my room. HAHA. You should face the glass, as a live front wall and well treated rear wall is ideal. That's what I was advised and with treatment mixes are translating pretty well now. I do still want to experiment with more treatment, but my next move is new monitors.
Old 18th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I also went from the ff to the Audient iD22. The Audient sounds a lot better. The clarity it had is amazing compared to both ff and project mix. So yes you will notice a huge improvement going to Audient. Definitely address the room acoustics to really realize that difference.
So I bit the bullet and went with the ID22...
OH SO VERY HAPPY!!!
The translation is astounding compared to my PMIO!
Incredible value tied up in this little box.
Old 19th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by changoblanco View Post
So I bit the bullet and went with the ID22...
OH SO VERY HAPPY!!!
The translation is astounding compared to my PMIO!
Incredible value tied up in this little box.
Fantastic. I'm glad it's working out for you. And that my recommendation didn't disappoint.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search