The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Curved display for studio use?
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Maniac

Pro's and con's ?
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klan View Post

Pro's and con's ?
Are you concerned about reflections?

Last edited by SharpKillerCable; 23rd August 2015 at 03:00 AM..
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable View Post
I don't see why not. Are you concerned about reflections?
exactly its basicly a half poly
Old 22nd August 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
If you have clients in that particular room often then Id say no. Flat is best.

If its in a mix suite that is mostly just you then go for it.

I have a friend who just bought a 55 inch curved tv. We were watching a movie and for me it was an awkward sight line from anywhere but the very middle. If you go into the 70 or 80 inch range it might be better, but come on. Think of all the great gear you could buy for the price of that one TV

Opinion only.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

I guess I'd have to agree, keep it out of the control room, but it also depends on how large it is. This is a good question for someone with acoustic room design expertise.
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
If you have clients in that particular room often then Id say no. Flat is best.

If its in a mix suite that is mostly just you then go for it.

I have a friend who just bought a 55 inch curved tv. We were watching a movie and for me it was an awkward sight line from anywhere but the very middle. If you go into the 70 or 80 inch range it might be better, but come on. Think of all the great gear you could buy for the price of that one TV

Opinion only.
Its a mix suite similar to yours but 2 bay
Dunno iam more concered about the acoustical problems or benefits it might cause...
Old 22nd August 2015
Deleted 7f9cade
It doesn't seem like it would cause any acoustical problems. As long as your monitors are at least parallel or slightly in front of it.

Slightly in front and about a foot away horizontally should give you 60 degrees of dispersion spread with out the screen getting in the way.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

When it comes to studio acoustics, in my experience, concave = bad

It focuses the sound rather than disperses it. As it is, I don't like the harshness that comes off my flat monitors, so I would be careful of a curved monitor where those glassy frequencies are being focused and pushed into your face.

I think they look great, BTW but am very hesitant to get them for my control room.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
When it comes to studio acoustics, in my experience, concave = bad

It focuses the sound rather than disperses it. As it is, I don't like the harshness that comes off my flat monitors, so I would be careful of a curved monitor where those glassy frequencies are being focused and pushed into your face.

I think they look great, BTW but am very hesitant to get them for my control room.
Agreed. Focusing sound waves off of a highly reflective surface is most likely going to create an unnatural occurrence for any waves bouncing off of it. Obviously the monitor isn't very big, but I would stay away from the curved stuff.
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Nut

I opened a similar thread a couple of weeks ago. I am also concerned about reflections. Otherwise the form factor looks great.
Does anybody have any experience with it or is it just a theory? Would be great to know.
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have a friend who just bought a 55 inch curved tv. We were watching a movie and for me it was an awkward sight line from anywhere but the very middle. If you go into the 70 or 80 inch range it might be better, but come on.\
This confirms what I always think when I see the commercial fro the curved TV. It just doesn't make and sense to me. It feels like a marketing department design.
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
This confirms what I always think when I see the commercial fro the curved TV. It just doesn't make and sense to me. It feels like a marketing department design.
If you sit in front of them for any period of time, you don't want to go back to flat -both for computer screens and TV. The design makes more sense than flat as every part of the screen is facing you, but you do want to be in one of the middle positions to enjoy it.
Old 24th August 2015
I think curved TV screens are a bunch of marketing BS. I've sat with one and thought it was a complete waste of money. Sure it looks cool. So not worth the money.

As far as in a studio is concerned I figure the fewer surfaces to contend with the better. If it has to be a large screen lets do projector on fabric. If not that then lets do something with good lateral sight lines, which curved screens do not have.
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

Curved makes sense for a wide screen monitor. It doesn't make sense for a TV, unless there's only one person watching.
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

The shape is bad acoustically and likely you wont be viewing outside your speaker's sweet spot so there is no need for wide angle viewing of a control room video monitor. Bottom line, spend all that extra money on other things that will be of more benefit.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah.....not a good idea IMHO. Concaved surfaces are what was used for horn loading long throw sound systems...It certainly helped get about an extra 6 DB from the boxes but they sounded like crap. I know you don't plan on putting your speakers in the middle of it but just the shape of the damn thing would make me shy away from it in a serious listening environment.

Also as others have stated, the curved screens are good if you are the only one watching sitting right in the middle. My brother bought a 70 inch and just finally sold it on Craigslist. His family thought it was great at first but the off axis viewing was just crap.

There....that is my 2 cents.....
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

I hate the curved design. We use to have a movie theatre here that had a curved screen (recently torn down) and I never liked it either.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a friend who just bought a 55 inch curved tv. We were watching a movie and for me it was an awkward sight line from anywhere but the very middle.
Sorry to go off-topic but UGH, THIS!! It really annoys me how all the tv makers are jumping on this curved screen bandwagon, its such a horrible gimmick claiming to improve the viewing experience for everyone when in reality it totally screws up the perspective for anything other than one specific seating position and even then its not that natural. If the screen was 20 feet wide maybe a slight curve would be justifiable.

I guess its fine if you're setup for a studio sat in a fixed place, but for tv home viewing, no no no no no!
All the high end TV's have gone this way now, I don't think you can even buy a flat OLED screen anymore, they're all curved. What a way to massively improve the quality of contrast and response time on one hand, then ruin it with distorted perspective on the other!
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

It comes down to this: if you have a lot of TV or advertising people in the studio then go for it. It's a hype and they will look impressed at the screen instead of listening. That way they are less likely to want changes...
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

Actually I have a 55" Samsung in the bedroom at home and really like it

It's far from he bed and on an angle but it has better off axis performance than a similar sized flat screen

I don't have any problems with the curved screen

I'm thinking to try a dell 34" curved monitor screen on my console bridge. My speakers would be outside the plane so I don't see too much of an issue with reflections except maybe off the back wall but it's 15 ft away. Anyone who has actually used one in an audio environment?
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

Snoggin, if it works in your setup good for you. As far as for good studio practice though, google "concave acoustic reflections". Given a video screen is an acoustically reflective surface and a reflective concave surface is especially bad as it concentrates instead of disperses sound, best practice is not to incorporate it. Remember that sound is bouncing around from the rest of the room, as it's not just the direct sound out of the speakers so ALL the surfaces in a room will have some effect.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
It comes down to this: if you have a lot of TV or advertising people in the studio then go for it. It's a hype and they will look impressed at the screen instead of listening. That way they are less likely to want changes...
Old 15th July 2016
I have a curved LG 34UC97-S and am quite happy with it. Keep in mind that the curve is very slight.

I definitely would not want a curved TV, however, because of problems with off-axis viewing.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

I've tried it. Works well for home recording with fixed position, but only causes problems for any sort of collaboration, off-axis, etc.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

I recently went from 2 monitors down to a single Dell 34" curved monitor and couldn't be happier. The curve is very very subtle and I haven't had any complaints from others in the studio viewing at different angles. This is the one I got -

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha.../dp/B00PXYRMPE
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Thats the same monitor Im considering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
I recently went from 2 monitors down to a single Dell 34" curved monitor and couldn't be happier. The curve is very very subtle and I haven't had any complaints from others in the studio viewing at different angles. This is the one I got -

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha.../dp/B00PXYRMPE
Old 15th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemosit View Post
I have a curved LG 34UC97-S and am quite happy with it. Keep in mind that the curve is very slight.

I definitely would not want a curved TV, however, because of problems with off-axis viewing.
I have the same screen, I will NEVER go back to a flat screen. Just like good curves on a woman, looking at a curved screen is so easy on the eyes it's unbelievable.
Old 16th July 2016
So far as counteracting glare, the curved Samsung 65" in my den rocks that. I used to see this giant window in the TV during the day and the lights above at night. Not so much with the curve.

Sounds great with my soundbar below it.

I have a 40" flat samsung 4k in the studio. I like it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search