The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trash 2... Distortion plugs
Old 20th August 2015
Trash 2... Distortion plugs

I already have a ton of color plug ins, but I saw that izotrope is selling Trash 2 for less than 100 bucks...

Is trash 2 worth it or has it been left in the dust by ubk, soundtoys, klanghelm, etc?

What say you?
Old 20th August 2015
Trash is great - it goes far beyond what decapitator or other distortion plugs do.

But....I rarely use it. I bought it nearly 3 years ago and it kinda defined the sound of an ep I did, but I've rarely used it after that. I really don't know why - I think it's just so vast that you can get lost chasing down presets. I generally find I get what I want from decapitator and don't need to look further.

Which is a shame. It's one of those plugins you don't want to open with a client in the room, because you'll still be looking for the perfect sound 1/2hr later!
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

I got Decapitator and Saturn, of which I guess the Saturn would be closest to Trash. (I did demo trash) But at the end of the day, when I want to distort something, I use the UAD Studer A800 plugin and just turn up the input. It sounds the most natural to me, which is what I'm after. 100 bucks is a good price though, and trash is great if you want to distort a lot of things in lots of different ways.
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Addict

I agree with psycho. It's pretty awesome, but it can be a little difficult to tune in. The new deal includes the Classic Textures presets though. It's a very useable bunch.
I get a lot of use out of trash, but I tend to dial in my own sounds with it, sometimes using a preset as a starting point. Pick a distortion, tweak a filter, an IR, a little compression, etc. I've found it useful on percussion, synth buses, guitars, bass and even vocals. It's crazy versatile and deep. At the price they're now selling, I'd definitely pick it up.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

I love Trash. But it does exactly what it says...trashes the audio. Not for subtle coloration but if you want to change the sound into something completely different. It's more of a sound design tool than a distortion plug IMO. Quite a few times I've sent something through it and it completely changed the direction of the song.
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstahc View Post
I love Trash. But it does exactly what it says...trashes the audio. Not for subtle coloration but if you want to change the sound into something completely different. It's more of a sound design tool than a distortion plug IMO. Quite a few times I've sent something through it and it completely changed the direction of the song.
True, if you stick with the presets. There really aren't many subtle presets, despite the subcategory titled "Subtle" --- they aren't that at all. Subtle coloration is possible if you take a minute to reign it in or dial in your own sounds. Again, the Classic Textures expansion has some really useable stuff, much of which is fairly tame. If not, the mix knob should clean it up.
Old 20th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beel Zebub View Post
True, if you stick with the presets. There really aren't many subtle presets, despite the subcategory titled "Subtle" --- they aren't that at all. Subtle coloration is possible if you take a minute to reign it in or dial in your own sounds. Again, the Classic Textures expansion has some really useable stuff, much of which is fairly tame. If not, the mix knob should clean it up.
I've installed them..I'll have to check it out!
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beel Zebub View Post
Funny about that subtle category, there is a preset in there called "Body Builder" and I'm convinced Tyler the Creator sent much of his Cherry Bomb album through it.
Old 20th August 2015
Thanks mates...

I also have Ozone 6 and I dig the exciter module in that for grit as well... I think I'll pass on Trash... for now. haha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search