The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-audio PF2626 intermitent problems Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2015
Unhappy M-audio PF2626 intermitent problems

Hi all

So I just installed my old profire 2626 on this Win 7 Laptop. I used the PF for years with my old setup that was with a WinXP Desktop Computer and it was working fine.

The problems I'm having are intermitent monitoring interruptions, crackles and other horrible digital artefacts on playback. Recording seems unaffected. Computer recognizes the PF at all times.

Things I tried : playing with buffer settings, installing 1394 legacy drivers, installing the latest M-audio drivers, disabling every other audio devices, changing firewire cable, swapping FW port on my PF2626.

My laptop doesn't have a Texas Instrument chip, but I'm hearing about people that have the same problems even with one. Not sure if this is the culprit.

On a side note : I previously installed an Mbox 2 on this laptop (not plugged at the moment though). Maybe that's interfering in some way with the PF? I'd prefer to not uninstall it as I may need it in some situations.

I'm pretty much out of ideas .
Hope someone familiar with those problems could shed some light on this.

Thanks
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Nut

You may want to uninstall the other interfaces drivers. M-Audio has stated that you cannot load drivers for two of their FW interfaces on the same machine (like a ProFire 2626 and FW1814). The Mbox driver might be interfering with the M-Audio driver. You can always reinstall it.

My 2626 is working on my laptop...MSI GT725 which has a Ricoh chipset. I was surprised that it did. Hoping to get better performance I bought a SIIG FW card for it only to find out that the E-card slot was also controlled by the same chipset that controlled the internal FW system. Just stayed with the firewire port. I used to have a Motu Traveler which I really liked but it wouldn't work at all with the laptop.

Dave
Old 20th August 2015
Thanks for your reply

I uninstalled every avid driver in the control pannel. Still having the same problems.

However, I noticed in Reaper that in the hardware setup menu, it still list ASIO Digidesign Mbox 2 as a possible driver option (can't enable ins/outs on it though). Does that mean that there are traces of the driver left somewhere? Do I have to go manually delete something?
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Nut

That might be the case. When you uninstalled the Mbox drivers did you just do it thru the driver window or did you go to the add/delete programs section (its actually called something else in the control panel...don't recall the name at the moment) and remove it from there? You may have only removed part of the driver. Some driver install utilities, when started, give you the option of removing the driver...you could try that...
Old 25th August 2015
I went in the control pannel and went in the add/delete software utility. I removed everything digidesign/avid save Pro Tools. I also went in my program files/digidesign
directory and manually deleted the drivers folder. Still listing my mbox 2 in Reaper and still getting the same interruptions. Is there somewhere else that I should look? Thanks!
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Nut

Sorry for the delay....been recovering from knee surgery.... In Reaper did you try setting it to PF2626? You might be seeing a glitch in Reaper thats causing it (mbox) to still show. You could try reinstalling the Avid driver...it might give you an option to uninstall. If not you could try searching for any Avid drivers...not sure what they would be called. Looking at your post again it might be Protools thats causing the driver to show up.. In XP a lot of drivers were in the System32/drivers directory. I'm not in front of my PC now to check, but I think it's similar in Win 7. You might try uninstalling Protools and see if the driver goes away (back up any files from PT you may need first...). if the driver goes away, check PF2626 in Reaper and see if the issues disappear. If so try reinstalling PT and see if the driver and/or problem reappears. You could also try the Avid forums...might be some info there.
You might be experiencing other services interacting with the PF2626 driver. On my laptop I had to make sure bluetooth was off...
Old 16th September 2015
No problem concerning the delay, I myself had forgotten about the thread since I just learned to endure the problem in the meanwhile haha.

Yeah it could be possible that PT is what is causing the driver to remain appearant. I got an other problem however : when I try to uninstall pro tools I get a dialog box telling me that I need windows XP SP 2 to complete the action (My OS at the moment is win 7). I think it's cause when I first installed PT 8, I couldn't get the install to run on Win 7 unless I went in the setup properties and checked the compatibility box : execute this with Win XP SP 2 compatibility. Now it seems impossible to install as a result.

Besides that, I was reading on this board that some people had these kinds of problem concerning the PF2626 dropouts because of IRQ conflicts. I'm not so tech in PC stuff, but if I understood correctly, the problem would be caused by different devices using the same IRQ #. So I went in device manager and noticed that I have 4 devices sharing that same IRQ as the 1394 controller. Now, if I go in properties--> resources : the modify settings (or whatever it's called) box is greyed out and I can't click it. I presume it's because the device manager isn't finding any conflicts with the devices, but I'm not sure. Could anyone confirm that?
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Nut

Yea having that many irq shares going on can cause problems. WRT removing PT - go to the Avid support site/forums and search for info on removing it. You could always try hacking your registry to remove any mention of PT, but you gotta be careful or you can crash the OS requiring a reinstall. You know, that might be the answer...just do a fresh install of the OS. I know its something most people dread, especially if you have software with large libraries. But it should clean things up considerably..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search