The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Considering a Touchscreen System?
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Yes the concept does look very interesting. The video was also on their website which demonstrated their concept. The good thing is that the software is still under development so I'm sure improvements will be made.

It's encouraging to see quite a few developers now incorporating touch screen control within their products.
Imagine if the channel strip on the Raven had some knobs that you could assign to control the parameters of any EQ or compressor plugin that you had inserted on the track. This is possible with the protocols this company is using
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post
Imagine if the channel strip on the Raven had some knobs that you could assign to control the parameters of any EQ or compressor plugin that you had inserted on the track. This is possible with the protocols this company is using
Are you referring to physical knobs? If so, that wouldn't interest me in the slightest as I wouldn't have purchased a touch screen controller if I was interested in this.

If you're referring to virtual knobs, they already exist in the plugins. Open a plugin, touch the parameters you want to change and then close the plugin and move on.

As I only currently use Pro Tools, everything I need is right in front of me.

I can see GestureSpark being useful for other applications other than DAWs.

Last edited by The Oracle; 20th August 2015 at 11:27 AM..
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Are you referring to physical knobs? If so, that wouldn't interest me in the slightest as I wouldn't have purchased a touch screen controller if I was interested in this.

If you're referring to virtual knobs, they already exist in the plugins. Open a plugin, touch the parameters you want to change and then close the plugin and move on.

As I only currently use Pro Tools, everything I need is right in front of me.

I can see GestureSpark being useful for other applications other than DAWs.
I'm talking about virtual knobs right in front of you in the channel strip without having to open up windows. Maybe you don't care about that - what I'm pointing out is that they have protocols for controlling EVERYTHING inside the DAW. It's a big step for touch screen controllers AND hardware controllers. Previously both the Raven and Dtouch have had limitations as to what commands they can send to the DAW software due to the protocols they use. Maybe this new software ends up being crap with laggy faders and features that you don't care about - maybe not. Either way - they are bringing something new to the world of touch control which is going to benefit other companies in the future. And they ARE showing people new possibilities for touch control
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

And again, that's why it would be great to make D-touch available for Reaper, excuse me for repeating - you can have almost anything on screen, custom knobs, custom knobs sets, etc... Did i mentioned helluwalot of custom actions?...

But the most important: custom-designed layouts created in Reaper itself, optimised for touch are possible!

Damn, i'd participate on this kind of project being UI designer myself..

I know, this is not a "major" DAW, but a lot of live recording people use it as it is light on resources and stable, not to mention a lot of independent producers/engineers. And there are tools for using it in a pair with major DAWs and video-editors. I know a lot of independent post-pro engineers use it without problems working with FCP or AMC.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Either way - they are bringing something new to the world of touch control which is going to benefit other companies in the future. And they ARE showing people new possibilities for touch control
You may want to take a look at this then if you think they are bringing something new to the world of touch control:

https://smithsonmartin.com/products/emulator-pro/

Video overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw_wMxFPcSM

Video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsxmQP5cFY

Last edited by The Oracle; 20th August 2015 at 01:44 PM..
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK PURSE View Post
The big screen is tempting but putting together the overlay puts me off although I haven't looked into it properly.
Adding a touch overlay frame onto a TV is quite easy -- the ones I can attest to are from PQ Labs and Zaagtech.
  1. The frame itself comes in 4 pieces that connect together with HDMI connectors, and secured with small screws, to form the rectangular shape. (as easy as playing with Lego blocks)
  2. Place the adhesive tape (comes with the frame -- a very thin, yet strong adhesive tape) in various spots around the perimeter of the TV bezel.
  3. Place the tempered glass on the bezel (sized for the outer dimensions of the bezel, and ordered from a local glass shop or hardware store. They can offer options for edge treatment (polishing), too. 1/8" is the thinnest, I believe, and worked great for me). [NOTE: Some touch frame dealers offer the tempered glass with the frame, which of course increases shipping cost.)
  4. Apply additional pieces of the adhesive around the perimeter of the glass, and place the touch frame on the glass.
  5. Plug in the attached USB cable to your computer. (Because the attached USB cable is fairly short, I would recommend using a USB extension cable.)
  6. Follow the DTouch instructions to set up your touchscreen.

I have my touchscreen system at 25 degrees off horizontal, and only used a piece of the adhesive tape in the 4 corners -- and nothing has budged at all. If you go with a steeper angle, use more pieces around the perimeter. You might consider at least the 4 corners, plus 2 pieces between each corner, for a total of 12. There will be plenty available.

Please ask your dealer -- I'm sure they will be glad to help -- and they likely have done some instruction videos.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may want to take a look at this then if you think they are bringing something new to the world of touch control:

Video overview:

Video tutorial:

I was going to mention Emulator Pro from Smithson Martin.

They just recently announced the release of the OSX version, so it is now supported on OSX and Windows 7/8 (even 10 is probably near).

Be aware that in order to use Smithson Martin to design and use a touchscreen controller for your DAW, you will need Bome's MIDI Translator Pro to design the communications between Emulator Pro and your DAW.

This is not a trivial task, but some have been working on such things.

In fact, I was doing just that until I discovered DTouch.

Another matter is that if the communications are based on HUI, keep in mind that it is quite difficult to get hold of any HUI protocol documents, as it is not an "open" system.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm talking about virtual knobs right in front of you in the channel strip without having to open up windows. Maybe you don't care about that - what I'm pointing out is that they have protocols for controlling EVERYTHING inside the DAW. It's a big step for touch screen controllers AND hardware controllers. Previously both the Raven and Dtouch have had limitations as to what commands they can send to the DAW software due to the protocols they use. Maybe this new software ends up being crap with laggy faders and features that you don't care about - maybe not. Either way - they are bringing something new to the world of touch control which is going to benefit other companies in the future. And they ARE showing people new possibilities for touch control
Raven and DTouch use HUI.

If GestureSpark is not using HUI, then they must be using Eucon (or something else), as Eucon can support the "virtual knob for every control" concept.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
I was going to mention Emulator Pro from Smithson Martin.

They just recently announced the release of the OSX version, so it is now supported on OSX and Windows 7/8 (even 10 is probably near).

Be aware that in order to use Smithson Martin to design and use a touchscreen controller for your DAW, you will need Bome's MIDI Translator Pro to design the communications between Emulator Pro and your DAW.

This is not a trivial task, but some have been working on such things.

In fact, I was doing just that until I discovered DTouch.

Another matter is that if the communications are based on HUI, keep in mind that it is quite difficult to get hold of any HUI protocol documents, as it is not an "open" system.
Thanks for the info Bruce. Smithson Martin have only released the OSX version of Emulator Pro for their Elite Package which is $15,500 - ouch!!!.

Their software only version only works with Windows.

https://smithsonmartin.com/support-downloads/faqs/

Now if they have actually allowed Emulator Pro software to be used with OSX, they need to update their website.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
And again, that's why it would be great to make D-touch available for Reaper, excuse me for repeating - you can have almost anything on screen, custom knobs, custom knobs sets, etc...
Off topic, but I have been considering the options for going to another DAW, in light of Avid changing up their sales model. A lot of people are doing the same.

Reaper is certainly of interest.

And if there is truly a possibility to get to a good multitouch GUI with Reaper, before any other DAW, then that could be a big decision point for some folks.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info Bruce. Smithson Martin have only released the OSX version of Emulator Pro for their Elite Package which is $15,500 - ouch!!!.

Their software only version only works with Windows.

https://smithsonmartin.com/support-downloads/faqs/

Now if they have actually allowed Emulator Pro software to be used with OSX, they need to update their website.
Well, this is the link that was in the email they sent me a few days ago:

PreOrder the NEW Emulator 2.0 for Mac OS X!

Attached is a pic of portion of that web page:
Attached Thumbnails
Considering a Touchscreen System?-emulator-pro-2.png  
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just noticed they mentioned "Auto Assigned Midi" and "Midi Learn" -- I am not sure if that means Bome's MIDI Translator Pro is still required, or not.

Hmmm....
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

That's great news Bruce. Thanks for sharing. I guess they just haven't got round to updating their website as they only have version 1.5 currently.

I am certainly going to look into this.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

Video overview:

Video tutorial:

Already tried using it for a while last year. Like I said - it's limited to what it can control because of the protocol it uses
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Off topic, but I have been considering the options for going to another DAW, in light of Avid changing up their sales model. A lot of people are doing the same.

Reaper is certainly of interest.

And if there is truly a possibility to get to a good multitouch GUI with Reaper, before any other DAW, then that could be a big decision point for some folks.
There are a couple other DAWS that are already optimized for touch control
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Already tried using it for a while last year. Like I said - it's limited to what it can control because of the protocol it uses
That was last year like you've said. Since then, version 1.5 has been released this year and now version 2.0 is about to be released. No doubt this has been improved even further.

At least their demos are decent too!
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
D Touch on a Raven

http://youtu.be/NhBx2DmJOoY
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are a couple other DAWS that are already optimized for touch control
Well, you forgot about the rest of my statement:
"...if there is truly a possibility to get to a good multitouch GUI with Reaper, before any other DAW..."
I have seen the Studio One v3 is touch support, but not multitouch... and that it is also not very good.

I don't recall what the other one is, but it was also partially there.

What are the ones you know about?
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
"...if there is truly a possibility to get to a good multitouch GUI with Reaper, before any other DAW..."
I have seen the Studio One v3 is touch support, but not multitouch... and that it is also not very good.

FL Studio supports multi touch functionality. Sonar X2 and Fruity Loops too.

http://youtu.be/RzWU33dipXY

Last edited by The Oracle; 20th August 2015 at 08:16 PM..
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Bruce,

Studio One V3 does have multi-touch support on the Mac and Windows 8/10. I've been using the demo on my Mac but for me it isn't anywhere near as smooth as using DTouch with Cubase. (I haven't tested S1 V3 on my Windows workstation because I use Windows 7, which they aren't supporting for multi-touch.. and, ultimately I want to be working on my Mac Pro, so I'm really hoping that the DTouch team is able to migrate it over to OSX).

Michael
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
In terms of what is possible with remote protocols - it IS possible to control plugins, and you can find this functionality on some hardware control surfaces. Have a look at GestureSpark to read about what they are developing which allows for the control of plugins from an alternative GUI.
I've used generic plugin control on my hardware control surfaces for a long time, but if you're already using a big touch screen I don't really see the point.. You're adding a layer between you and the plugin when it's so easy to just touch control the plugin interface directly. You end up having to look at another screen for visual feedback (gain reduction meters, spectrum analyzers, etc), and there are some plugins that you'll never be able to fully control. FF ProQ 2 for example, which is one of my favorite plugins to use on the big touch screen. Or Equillibruim, which has an insane amount of parameters available for control under its hood.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cool, I didn't know about FL Studio.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

BTW, I own Sonar X2, which I bought when they added multi-touch support a few years ago. It was a big letdown for me from the touch interface perspective. Too many little controls crammed together, hard to scroll the mixer and pro channel interfaces (or I should say, too easy to end up moving a fader or EQ control when you're trying to scroll).. Lots of little things ended up making it too frustrating for me. I will admit though, that was when I only had my 27" touchscreen, it could be a different experience on the 46" screen. If and when I upgrade my Windows workstation to W10 I'll install X2 again and demo Sonar Platinum (like S1 V3 it requires Win 8 or 10 for multi-touch support).
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

FL Studio 12 looks quite good. I love the vector GUI, allowing it to be so scaleable.

I also am reading it there is a beta for the OSX version, but it is the Windows version that is "cross-wrapped".

But, they recently announced an FL Studio 12 Alpha native version for OSX.

:-)
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
FL Studio 12 looks quite good. I love the vector GUI, allowing it to be so scaleable.

I also am reading it there is a beta for the OSX version, but it is the Windows version that is "cross-wrapped".

But, they recently announced an FL Studio 12 Alpha native version for OSX.

:-)
It's just great to see more developers getting on board with touch control.
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's just great to see more developers getting on board with touch control.
Can anyone post a link to info about Emulator pro 2. I can't find any info about it
Old 20th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Can anyone post a link to info about Emulator pro 2. I can't find any info about it
Bruce posted this earlier.

Old 21st August 2015
Gear Maniac
If ever lemur https://liine.net/en/products/lemur is ever made to run in
Windows that will be fantastic. It seems to me that his will be a smart business
decision on their part and will certainly help promote multi-touch for musicians.

Last edited by V Gardiakos; 21st August 2015 at 01:11 AM..
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thankyou
Old 21st August 2015
Here for the gear

Wow!Oracles video of touch re sync is impressive. That is a seller for me if it's accurate in its functionality.
Would be good to see more videos of touch in action ...there is nothing on web but the official video ...much better to see it for real.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search