The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Convincing Spring Reverb VST's? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 11th August 2015
Lives for gear

Any Convincing Spring Reverb VST's?

I gave up a few years back. Anything that's pretty convincing here in 2015. Some drip would be fantastic but I could live with anything that just sounds real
Old 11th August 2015
Lives for gear

the VNXT springs for Nebula are superb.

Easily the best I've heard/used.

VNXT SOUND: NebulaPrograms

MC
Old 11th August 2015
Gear Maniac

The classic:
Softube - Spring Reverb
Old 11th August 2015
Gear Addict

Uad akg bx-20
Old 12th August 2015
Here for the gear

I like Overloud's Spring Age.

Carey
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

The UAD RE-201 (Roland Space Echo) also has a nice Spring Reverb model.
Old 12th August 2015
Gear Addict

P&M digital plate actually sounds awesome
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
the VNXT springs for Nebula are superb.

Easily the best I've heard/used.

VNXT SOUND: NebulaPrograms

MC
I echo this.

There are also a few more Nebula 3rd party developers that have springs and plates in their arsenal. TimP, for example, has one which is great too: Welcome to Tim Petherick Nebula Libraries - Tim Petherick

But you will need Nebula to use them. If you are not familiar, chck the Acustica Audio forum before re info. It is the Server version that you will need. No AAX right now thought, but coming within months.. VST 64bit works perfectly here.

These are the closest you can ever get ITB. Nothing can beat an impulse response reverb when it comes to realism. In this case you also get the distortion captured in a dynamic fashion. But keep in mind that they are CPU hungry. Quiality comes at an expense.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

The best sounding spring reverb in my experience is the UAD AKG BX-20 that has been releases last week. I listened to some comparisons between the plugin and the real hardware and it's scary close. I use it in a mix I'm currently working on and I just love how it sounds on the guitar and drums, unlike any other reverb I have available. It's not a desert island reverb for me, it can not replace Acon Digital Verberate or UAD AMS RMX16 for example, but it's a great additional flavour!
Old 12th August 2015
The only one I like is the Aegean Spirit Reverb. All the other ones I've heard, including some of the above, sound way too fake. YMMW etc of course.

r,
j,
Old 12th August 2015
Gear Head

I have't used any of the others mentioned, but here's another option: PSP SpringBox an emulation of a hardware spring reverberator.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Necklace - physical modeled Spring Reverb - not used it myself but the demos sound quite nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LejonBrames View Post
P&M digital plate actually sounds awesome
Damn, I have that plugin. One day, I'm gonna start using my P&M plugins!
Old 12th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyeye View Post
I have't used any of the others mentioned, but here's another option: PSP SpringBox an emulation of a hardware spring reverberator.
Yes, I really, really wanted to like that one (PSP is a cool company), but I couldn't bring myself to dig it. Mind you, I'm really picky (I do dub, where the spring is a classic effect). The one in my 201 gets a lot of use

r,
j,
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

I like sknote's necklace cause of it's non linear behaviour.
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

a buddy of mine has the PSP Springbox, and I quite liked it.... granted I wasn't doing a massive shootout or anything... but definitely had a "thing"...
Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks all, keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
The only one I like is the Aegean Spirit Reverb. All the other ones I've heard, including some of the above, sound way too fake. YMMW etc of course.

r,
j,
I saw this one. It sounded really good imho
Old 13th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Necklace - physical modeled Spring Reverb - not used it myself but the demos sound quite nice.

Damn, I have that plugin. One day, I'm gonna start using my P&M plugins!
Oh they're great, lots are really usable, and GREAT for DI guitar chain, cause they have a very 'stomp box' vibe with the simplified controls.
Old 13th August 2015
Gear Addict

Spirit Reverb is pretty dope.

Last edited by Halma; 13th August 2015 at 12:01 PM..
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

PSP Spring sounds very nice with guitar.
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Just my opinion - It will be a long, long time before computers can handle the number crunching involved with spring and plate reverbs in anything resembling real time. The reason is the speed of sound in the medium of metal and the number of reflections involved. This is the equivalent of placing sound in an alien environment as instead of room reflections you are actually picking up the sound from inside the alien environment of steel.

This has a huge impact on the number crunching required to accurately emulate these systems.

While you can certainly find something in digital land, especially in the dynamic convolution world such as nebula, that will be usable you will be hard pressed to use it side by side with the real deal and not notice an immediate difference in the depth and quality as it pertains to the sheer quantity of reflections. It's not a subtle difference.

So while these digital emulations can be usable - I say build yourself a spring reverb. You couldn't really get a simpler and cheaper audio project and you can still have the digital options around for laziness or a different flavor. If you did choose this path of rolling your own spring reverb you will find that with creative routing and processing it becomes way more versatile than a piece of hardware would appear on the surface. Thanks to the modern DAW it is easy to manipulate pre-emphasis, record reverb for reverse effects or creative processing/editing, shift in time for pre-delay/post delay, etc.

It will change your life and probably get you laid.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 12th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Get me laid?! Well i'll start building a spring reverb right away.

But damn, that UAD thingie sounds niiice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search