The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Downgrading" from RME to UR22: a few questions. Audio Interfaces
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac

"Downgrading" from RME to UR22: a few questions.

I've settled on the Steinberg UR22 for my interface needs in a new build. Specifically, I want to spend less than $200, I don't need to do any recording, I need MIDI I/O, and I will be using Cubase.

However, I've used an RME Multiface I for many, many years now, and I'm used to its stability, latency, and the virtual mixing software TotalMix. Does anyone have any real-life experience with both and could comment on how the UR22 compares on those fronts? I'm especially curious about what would replace TotalMix. Is there any corresponding software control for the UR22 on Windows 7 64? Are the levels for the headphone output and the mono line outputs controlled solely with those two pots on the front of the UR22? Thanks.
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Check its manual:
http://download.steinberg.net/downlo...nManual_en.pdf

It is plain and simple interface.. no mixer, straight 2in/2out without routing, one MIDI port, control panel is just for ASIO buffer size selection.
Input monitoring is analog (in front of A/D) and controlled just by blend pot at front panel, where you adjust balance between computer playback and input signal. Headphone and Line-out signal goes always through this analog blending.
That's it.

Michal

P.S.: It isn't bad (or to me is first level for acceptable interface), but I would stay with Multiface, if possible
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Check its manual:
http://download.steinberg.net/downlo...nManual_en.pdf

It is plain and simple interface.. no mixer, straight 2in/2out without routing, one MIDI port, control panel is just for ASIO buffer size selection.
Input monitoring is analog (in front of A/D) and controlled just by blend pot at front panel, where you adjust balance between computer playback and input signal. Headphone and Line-out signal goes always through this analog blending.
That's it.

Michal

P.S.: It isn't bad (or to me is first level for acceptable interface), but I would stay with Multiface, if possible
Thanks for your reply. I wish I could use the Multiface forever, but unfortunately, new motherboards don't have PCI interfaces . Do you have experience running the UR22 with Cubase? What kind of playback latencies are you getting with 24/48?
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I wish I could use the Multiface forever, but unfortunately, new motherboards don't have PCI interfaces . Do you have experience running the UR22 with Cubase? What kind of playback latencies are you getting with 24/48?
I don't use it at my computers, so can't test it now (RME here).. But recommended and installed couple of UR22 and UR44s for buddies. It is solid so far and I don't know about any problems. Although final performance is also dependent on other things (drivers for other hardware at computer, project, used plugins, system tuning etc.), at 128s long buffer (which is about right for that interface IME with normal projects) it was about 8 ms out and 14 ms roundtrip.
At 64s it was around 5-6 ms out.
Can't recall it exactly.. But I compared it directly with Focusrite 2i4 at same computer and it handled short buffers much better than 2i4 (latency was roughly same, but Focusrite won't go under 128s with crackles, also CPU usage by driver was higher).

Hope, it helps.

Michal

P.S.: You can still buy boards with PCI slots..
for example GIGABYTE Z97-D3H is perfectly fine.. for Haswell CPUs

similarly brand new boards for Skylake CPUs (socket 1151), checked few ASUS boards with Z170 chipset, which had also PCI slots.

or just new interface card for your Multiface RME: HDSPe PCI Card
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
I don't use it at my computers, so can't test it now (RME here).. But recommended and installed couple of UR22 and UR44s for buddies. It is solid so far and I don't know about any problems. Although final performance is also dependent on other things (drivers for other hardware at computer, project, used plugins, system tuning etc.), at 128s long buffer (which is about right for that interface IME with normal projects) it was about 8 ms out and 14 ms roundtrip.
At 64s it was around 5-6 ms out.
Can't recall it exactly.. But I compared it directly with Focusrite 2i4 at same computer and it handled short buffers much better than 2i4 (latency was roughly same, but Focusrite won't go under 128s with crackles, also CPU usage by driver was higher).

Hope, it helps.

Michal

P.S.: You can still buy boards with PCI slots..
for example GIGABYTE Z97-D3H is perfectly fine.. for Haswell CPUs

similarly brand new boards for Skylake CPUs (socket 1151), checked few ASUS boards with Z170 chipset, which had also PCI slots.

or just new interface card for your Multiface RME: HDSPe PCI Card
Sounds like it will be hard to go wrong with the UV22, but I'm amazed to learn that keeping the Multiface around is an option. Thank you sir!
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
Sounds like it will be hard to go wrong with the UV22, but I'm amazed to learn that keeping the Multiface around is an option. Thank you sir!
You're welcome and good luck with your audio interfaces!

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search