The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
34-inch widescreen display DAW Software
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Nut

34-inch widescreen display

Hi!

I'm considering buying one of those 34-inch widescreen displays (thinking about the Dell U3415W) to replace my Apple 30-inch Cinema Display. I'm mainly an ITB guy and that extra screen width seems very interesting.

Does anybody has one of these on their DAW, or any experience with them? Any comments would be really appreciated. I've read about light bleeding issues on some of them, would that be a problem with normal use? Also, would the curved display affect soundstage?

Gracias!
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Maniac

I have the LG 34UM95, which I really like. I am not sure what "light bleeding" is, so I can comment on that. I also prefer the single monitor over two monitors.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Head
I have two 27 inch LG's and a 27 inch iMac.

If I were spending on a monitor at this point, it would be a 40 inch UHD. I found the widescreen nice for width, but there was not enough height for virtual channel strips.

The Seiki Pro 40UNP is $999 and the Phillips BDM4065UC is $899. Both should be a better single monitor solution than a 34 inch widescreen.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Maniac
I use an LG ultrawide as a second screen as well. Actually, the way I have it configured is that when plugged in, the LG becomes my main screen with the DAW interface on it, and I still use my laptop's screen, where I can see VST and other ancillary displays, instead of cluttering up what I'm seeing on the main DAW screen.

I find the extra width to be very useful, as I tend to play long patterns fairly often, and there's less scrolling involved when I'm tracking progress. I've had no issues with the setup, and am very used to it now. It actually takes me a few minutes to get re-acquainted to a non ultra-wide screen when I'm on the go.

You will like it, I think.
Old 6th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadios View Post
Hi!

I'm considering buying one of those 34-inch widescreen displays (thinking about the Dell U3415W) to replace my Apple 30-inch Cinema Display. I'm mainly an ITB guy and that extra screen width seems very interesting.

Does anybody has one of these on their DAW, or any experience with them? Any comments would be really appreciated. I've read about light bleeding issues on some of them, would that be a problem with normal use? Also, would the curved display affect soundstage?

Gracias!

honestly i didn't compare specs but you can get a 55 inch TV and connect it. lol

you can buy a LED TV or whatever TV tech you want just make sure the TV has an HDMI PC input - usually HDMI is 1 is PC but make sure before purchasing - if not in 1 or an active PC slot the TV looks like ****

you may also want ARC incase you use an HDMI external switch to switch between screens and computers
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks everybody!

I also prefer one big screen than two smaller ones together. Too bad Apple stopped selling the 30". I don't like the glossy displays they sell now, and there are far more choices now than when I bought it.

The 40" UHD sounds like a good option too, although it looks a bit too big, I may have to go to a store to see it. Are PT or Logic ready for UHD resolutions?

I currently have my 30" as main monitor and using the laptop screen as an auxiliary screen too. Found out that if I kept the laptop closed sometimes the computer would stall when the laptop gets too hot.

Any more opinions?
Old 6th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadios View Post
Thanks everybody!

I also prefer one big screen than two smaller ones together. Too bad Apple stopped selling the 30". I don't like the glossy displays they sell now, and there are far more choices now than when I bought it.

The 40" UHD sounds like a good option too, although it looks a bit too big, I may have to go to a store to see it. Are PT or Logic ready for UHD resolutions?

I currently have my 30" as main monitor and using the laptop screen as an auxiliary screen too. Found out that if I kept the laptop closed sometimes the computer would stall when the laptop gets too hot.

Any more opinions?
bring your laptop to the store with an HDMI cable plug into slot one or the dedicated PC input slot to confirm the view. if its not PC compatible it will be blurry and ****ty. if its compatible then it will be crisp like a santana solo baby

you will also need to manually expand the screen size from your laptop to fit the TV within your display settings
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

A word of caution: it might be compatible but only at 30hz if one or he other isn't using the latest hdmi spec. Only televisions and computers produced in the last ear or two would have it. Displayport doesn't have the same issues. For me, 30hz doesn't cut it, but if you're fine with it, then So much the better.
As for whether logic and pro tools are 4k ready, they should be under yosemite because of the 5k Imac.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search