The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a new audio interface.... what are you using?
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Head

Need a new audio interface.... what are you using?

Hi there first post!...... *deep breath*

I'm currently upgrading my home studio. I've just retired my 9 yr old imac and replaced it with a brand new imac. The audio interface I have used for the last 8yrs is an M-audio FireWire solo. Great at the price point. The new iMacs no longer have FireWire so it's time to upgrade the interface. I really liked the Firewire solo for its very low latency so I'm a bit concerned about a USB interface as I don't want to have to deal with any perceptible latency.

How do folks here find USB interfaces these days? Is latency an issue?
I record one track at a time and everything goes through a mixer so I only need a stereo pair input to the interface.

The one I'm leaning towards....

Native Instruments Komplete audio 6

Nice price, (£169) good reviews and the bonus of midi in out (not essential for me but nice to have)

Just seen this though.....

M-audio delta bolt 1212

Available next month and thunderbolt! £299
Thunderbolt is very tempting as I'm used to a FireWire connection and the quality should be very good.

If I had the cash I would probably get this.....

Universal Audio Apollo twin solo. (£500-£600)

Seems absolutely perfect. Thunderbolt and quality mic pre's. I don't think I intended spending so much but maybe this is worth saving for? Will it blow away the Native instruments Komplete 6?

Anyway that's where I'm at. What do you guys use and have you any experience of the units above? What should I look out for? As someone that hasn't upgraded their setup for a looong time I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers.

Nicky
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Nut

I've got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. Works with either Firewire or Thunderbolt. Perfectly stable drivers, adequate sound, low latency.
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Save up more money and get the Apollo! Well worth the money..
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Nut

Audient iD14 blows everything out of the water for £199. The Burr Brown DAC is out of this world, and the pres are incredible.
M-Audio/Focusrite/RME is all kids stuff in comparison.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpd View Post
Audient iD14 blows everything out of the water for £199. The Burr Brown DAC is out of this world, and the pres are incredible.
Everything except the Tascam UH-7000. Hehe. I would also cast a high vote for Apollo.
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpd View Post
Except if you need low latency then it's all RME.
There are several threads going ATM regarding the Audient devices with regard to latency, especially under Windows, and not a single peep from the reps, who do post here.

Not a good sign.

RME has a long proven track record of supporting their devices, writing extremely good, stable drivers and so forth.
Best pre-amps in town?
Probably not, and certainly not boutique, so it all depends on what you need.

For the price, it can't be beat. Certainly a super solid device, built like a tank and supported by a long time well known and respected company.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Except if you need low latency then it's all RME.
There are several threads going ATM regarding the Audient devices with regard to latency, especially under Windows, and not a single peep from the reps, who do post here.

Not a good sign.

RME has a long proven track record of supporting their devices, writing extremely good, stable drivers and so forth.
Best pre-amps in town?
Probably not, and certainly not boutique, so it all depends on what you need.

For the price, it can't be beat. Certainly a super solid device, built like a tank and supported by a long time well known and respected company.
Hmm what kind of latency issues do you speak of in regards to the ID14?
Is this just a windows driver issue or does it affect OSX aswell? It's the first i'm hearing of this and am about to order the ID14 most likely.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Light View Post
Hmm what kind of latency issues do you speak of in regards to the ID14?
Is this just a windows driver issue or does it affect OSX aswell? It's the first i'm hearing of this and am about to order the ID14 most likely.
It's not really an "issue" it's just that the Audient interfaces are not as fast as some of the competition. They are faster than some of the other competition though. The map is all over the place. It's a features vs price vs sonics game and good luck finding something you like. It's all over the place.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
It's not really an "issue" it's just that the Audient interfaces are not as fast as some of the competition. They are faster than some of the other competition though. The map is all over the place. It's a features vs price vs sonics game and good luck finding something you like. It's all over the place.
Ok cool. I can live with that as long as it's not going to affect my workflow and cause me headaches down the line.
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Very good explanation.
+1

As someone who is also replacing an older PCI M-Audio device with a RTL (measured, not reported through a DAW) of about 4.5 MSEC at 64 samples under Windows or so it's tough to find something that compares. Add in the fact that I am extremely sensitive to latency (I'm a pro keyboard player) and I'm in a miserable position these days.

Check out TAFKAT's database as well as my thread regarding VSTi Junkie and Low Latency.

New Interface/ Computer/ or not.. Oh My! Help a VSTi Junkie.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Very good explanation.
+1

As someone who is also replacing an older PCI M-Audio device with a RTL (measured, not reported through a DAW) of about 4.5 MSEC at 64 samples under Windows or so it's tough to find something that compares. Add in the fact that I am extremely sensitive to latency (I'm a pro keyboard player) and I'm in a miserable position these days.

Check out TAFKAT's database as well as my thread regarding VSTi Junkie and Low Latency.

New Interface/ Computer/ or not.. Oh My! Help a VSTi Junkie.
I think this is the Latency comparison thread you mentioned.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10141434-post579.html

Seems like the Audient scored only decently..
however it was compared to alot of more expensive units but also was outperformed by the focusrite Saffire pro 24? hmm
Still probably gonna settle with the ID14 though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search