The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Channel Plugins- is there a cheap alternative? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 7th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post

PS. DDMF's The Strip has a GREAT sounding eq (5 band + HP/LP filters), the compressor is ok (but the mter is a bit wonky). Overall a great unexpensive channel strip.
The eq is exactly the same as the praised 6144 (based on the Neve 5033), which is a fabulous eq.
Yup the strip is pretty great eq wise. The compressor works fine apart from the meter I agree that its wonky lol.

One of its best features I think is it's gate. I use that all the time, works great!
Old 7th September 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Bulls eye

Nobody knows SSL better than SSL.....

Even though the SSL Duende Channel Strip is taken from their C200 series mixer (not the 4000-E or G), it is the best SSL channel strip out there IMO.

Great sounding, easy to operate, and my SSL fav

PS. DDMF's The Strip has a GREAT sounding eq (5 band + HP/LP filters), the compressor is ok (but the mter is a bit wonky). Overall a great unexpensive channel strip.
The eq is exactly the same as the praised 6144 (based on the Neve 5033), which is a fabulous eq.
Their 6144 is a great EQ. What a price!
Old 4th October 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix2Master View Post
Overtonedsp? Ex ssl engineers working with then and they have both an ssl eq and compressor at about £20 -30 each.
The Dyn 4000 looks cool to me, but the EQ module seems to have only 1 parametric band and 1 low and high semi-parametric shelf filter?
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

I'm just wondering why everybody is mentioning Duende when OP mentioned a 'cheap' alternative to Waves. The two most suitable options would be the OverToneDSP 500 bundle or the Metric Halo channel strip, (which OP mentioned he got anyways).

I personally use NI Solid series which I really really like, especiallu for the kind of music I make.
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania View Post
I'm just wondering why everybody is mentioning Duende when OP mentioned a 'cheap' alternative to Waves. The two most suitable options would be the OverToneDSP 500 bundle or the Metric Halo channel strip, (which OP mentioned he got anyways).

I personally use NI Solid series which I really really like, especiallu for the kind of music I make.
Because, it is all relative.. And alternative depends on expectation from SSL emulation.. If it is primarily quick workflow with one plugin with EQ, gate, dynamic with sidechain shaping etc. (like me for instance), there aren't many cheaper alternatives, I'm aware of.
Someone might be expecting primarily analog emulation of some legacy console strip and don't mind to have several plugins.. then it is different situation.
Also strips has slightly different features (eg. Overtone has one mid band less) and possibly models different SSL models (different Q and gain dependency).

As you've mentioned MH strip - it isn't direct emulation of SSL strip and when you're considering its sale price, It is proportionally very close to previous time limited offers of both Waves or SSL, if you count, that you are also getting their Bus compressor or several flavors of their SSL emulations (eg. Waves SSL E, G, standalone EQ versions..).

Michal
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

I use the IK British Channel - 4000E/G strip, White Channel - 9000J/K strip, and Bus Compressor - 4000E/G quad comp. Well done emu's, on sale as the British Studio Series bundle this month for $85, and includes a dinosaur!

IK Multimedia | T-RackS British Studio Series
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

Lots of choice
I have waves SSL
But use
Duende once they went ilok native aax
so plus one there
But ... Wait for a sale for anything... black fri USA ..being a big one
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Addict

I vote for the Metric Halo Channel Strip
ChannelStrip 3

Think its only $75 today! That's a steal.

Im quite the SSL snob, having owned and used a lot of their hardware and consoles. The Metric Halo channel strip is the best value to get the feel of a SSL 4K Eq, Filters, and dynamics. The Waves SSL is a modern classic, i've used it a lot over the years, but it really doesn't sound like a stock SSL 4Ke (likely because the console they used to model, CLA desk, is heavily modded). I love the SSL Duende Channel Strip, but HATE the GUI. IMO, the Softube Console 1 nailed the SSL 4Ke. I have one in my home studio and its been a stable for over a year now. Not exactly cheap, but i could totally live with just the Console 1 and ProTools stock plugs and be happy.

Anyway, my vote is for the Metric Halo Channel Strip! (unless you want to invest in a piece of hardware/software that nails a SSL 4Ke emulation)
Old 16th December 2016
Here for the gear

Slate Bundle for $15 is a steal!!!!
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
I vote for the Metric Halo Channel Strip
ChannelStrip 3

Think its only $75 today! That's a steal.

Im quite the SSL snob, having owned and used a lot of their hardware and consoles. The Metric Halo channel strip is the best value to get the feel of a SSL 4K Eq, Filters, and dynamics. The Waves SSL is a modern classic, i've used it a lot over the years, but it really doesn't sound like a stock SSL 4Ke (likely because the console they used to model, CLA desk, is heavily modded). I love the SSL Duende Channel Strip, but HATE the GUI. IMO, the Softube Console 1 nailed the SSL 4Ke. I have one in my home studio and its been a stable for over a year now. Not exactly cheap, but i could totally live with just the Console 1 and ProTools stock plugs and be happy.

Anyway, my vote is for the Metric Halo Channel Strip! (unless you want to invest in a piece of hardware/software that nails a SSL 4Ke emulation)

Hey, thanks for this advice. I bought it a couple days after seeing this, and use the Metric Halo strip all the time to this day. I love the 'warm' setting on vocals & similar. Amazing plugin.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc1313 View Post
Slate Bundle for $15 is a steal!!!!
Really is! VMR and Metric Halo my most used plugs probably
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search