The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Superior Drummer's Dirty Little Secret… Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd August 2015
Gear Maniac

Superior Drummer's Dirty Little Secret…

Everyone has been clamoring for additional effects in SD, like reverb, for instance. The hope is that this will be addressed with SD3, but guess what?

They're already in there.

If you have both EZDrummer 2 and Superior Drummer 2 (latest version), try loading up one of the EZD2 kits with effects, like "Bitcrushed Phaser". Take a look at the mixer, and you'll see busses for the phaser and bit crusher, with sends on some of the channels.

At first I thought maybe they were samples with the effects printed, but if you delete the little black boxes that are on the inserts on those channels, the CPU drops, but the loaded memory stays the same. Plus, you can create sends to the effects channels on channels that aren't sent to it by the preset, and the effect works for anything. Guess what you can't do, though - save a channel with an effect as a channel preset and load it in another kit. Tried it.

Check out a bunch of the presets. There are a few different reverbs, comps that are different from the usual SD2 effects (you can tell because of the black boxes in the comp channel), distortion, delay, a different transient designer (there's a channel called "attack" in one preset), tape saturation, the aforementioned bit crusher and phaser, etc. Plus inserts on regular channels with the black boxes, so who knows what those are.

So I guess this is a glimpse of what's to come in SD3, but it's been a year since EZD2 came out. When are we going to be able to use and edit these effects in SD?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 2nd August 2015
I must confess that I'm not waiting for an FX section at all in SD3. I like to choose my own FX and not something that is built in as 'an extra'. I would like to see a more easy integration from the multi-outs to the mixer in my DAW. Secondly, I need automation. Ridiculous that SD2 can't be automated.
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Maniac

Okay then. I just thought it was interesting that there are these hidden capabilities in Superior. I usually use external effects, too, but if I'm just doing a quick demo of an idea, I load up a preset. Having more versatility for that would be welcome, IMO.
Old 3rd August 2015
It's not a bad idea to have effects within the program. It should be more than just convenience, but also quality and hopefully a resource savings advantage. That alone is a very small carrot to entice users into an upgrade though, it's not hard to stick in your own effects either.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

I used some preset packs in SD2 for awhile just to get an understanding on how certain guys would shape the tone, was super handy. Of course I would tweak from there to play around but gives a great starting point.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamandaSD View Post
I used some preset packs in SD2 for awhile just to get an understanding on how certain guys would shape the tone, was super handy. Of course I would tweak from there to play around but gives a great starting point.
That's exactly what I did and I now have an awesome kit. Sounds as good as the best kits in any real recordings from my favorites bands. I tweaked a bunch, changed out some drums (toms and snare), tweaked the eqs more, separately eq'd the toms, etc. The nice thing about the built in effects is they are saved with the kit preset.

Rev.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search