The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New - Focusrite Clarett 8PreX - Interface
Old 2nd August 2015
Gear Maniac

New - Focusrite Clarett 8PreX - Interface

I really like the look of this Focusrite 8PreX Thunderbolt Interface ,

Link; Clarett 8PreX | Focusrite

all user guides are downloadable from the link.

It has ....,

- Easy to reach and operate knobs at your fingertips that I'd ever want from an interface without the clutter ,
- Clear easy to read metering ,
- All the inputs and outputs I need

..., plus the software side / routing etc looks so clean and user friendly

..., and its thunderbolt (Mac only for now , windows coming at a later date)

Anyone using one yet , any comments , any comparisons on the quality (especially the pre's) ?

Last edited by seafoam_green; 2nd August 2015 at 05:20 AM..
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Bump ..., anyone ?
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

Pre ordered mine...I'll let you know.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Maniac
Looks like a solid centerprice for a project studio, with dual ADAT I/O you'll never run out of channels.

But I do have one complain, here compare the specs for the Mic and Line inputs:

Microphone Inputs
Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/-0.1 dB
Dynamic Range 118 dB (A-weighted)
THD+N 0.001%
Noise EIN –128 dBu (A-Weighted)
Maximum input level +18 dBu
Gain Range 57dB

Line Inputs
Dynamic Range 116 dB (A-weighted)
THD+N 0.005%
Maximum input level +26dBu
Gain Range 57dB

Notice how the Line Inputs lost 2dB of dynamic range and have 5 times the THD? That's because once again they are just pads added in front of the mic preamps. So if you're using outboard preamps, you are compromising a bit.

On the other hand, the Clarett 4Pre (which isn't out yet) has 4 preamps and 4 genuine line inputs (no gain control = no preamp). So if one plans on using outboard preamps, the 4Pre ends up being a better deal! Unless you do need dual ADAT for massive channel count of course (in which case digital is your way in for "better" preamps)
Old 5th August 2015
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
Pre ordered mine...I'll let you know.
Cool , thanks Sam ..., BTW - what interface are you upgrading from Sam ?

I cant wait to hear of some users comparisons to existing quality gear , and even more so some unbiased shootouts against some of its current competition.

I live in Indonesia , and the only way I can pre order here is to pay 50% of full price upfront - because there are not many thunderbolt users in Indonesia so its not an item the retailers are flocking to.

Therefore I have to do my research and choose very carefully - as there is no return policy here If I dont like the product .....,

Then after ordering I will then be waiting forever for the thing to arrive as suppliers here only get items sent here as bulk shipments to cut shipping costs, and to get a fair import tax imposed on their goods - as individual items usually attract the attention of unscrupulous, corrupt customs guys .

Last edited by seafoam_green; 6th August 2015 at 02:32 AM..
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtailed View Post
Looks like a solid centerprice for a project studio, with dual ADAT I/O you'll never run out of channels.

But I do have one complain, here compare the specs for the Mic and Line inputs:

Microphone Inputs
Dynamic Range 118 dB (A-weighted)
THD+N 0.001%
Noise EIN –128 dBu (A-Weighted)
Maximum input level +18 dBu
Gain Range 57dB

Line Inputs
THD+N 0.005%
Gain Range 57dB

Notice how the Line Inputs lost 2dB of dynamic range and have 5 times the THD? That's because once again they are just pads added in front of the mic preamps. So if you're using outboard preamps, you are compromising a bit.

On the other hand, the Clarett 4Pre (which isn't out yet) has 4 preamps and 4 genuine line inputs (no gain control = no preamp). So if one plans on using outboard preamps, the 4Pre ends up being a better deal! Unless you do need dual ADAT for massive channel count of course (in which case digital is your way in for "better" preamps)
Myself , am not accustomed to what those figures actually mean ?
...., It will be interesting to see how much those figures translate though to real time use , as to whether its actually noticeable or not ?

My only complaint - is no 2nd thunderbolt port for daisy chaining another thunderbolt device .

I know this was left out to help keep some of the cost down. I have a Mac pro with 6 thunderbolt ports so its not an issue for me , but Im sure those Macbook buys will be rather annoyed about that .
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Hi seafoam...im upgrading from the Motu AVB Hybrid. It has 6 ins and outs and has been troublesome. My previous experience with Focusrite has all been good so I'm confident this will be a positive change.

As for the input numbers, padded mic pre's, I have used audio interfaces with the same configuration...I don't believe we can hear any differences or detect inferiorities from this. I will be using all 8 ins and outs with 500 series mic pres, compressors, EQs and analog delays.

I pre ordered late so I could be waiting another 30 days....
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Clarett In Depth | Focusrite

Can somebody identify the converters from the in the link please ?
Old 19th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Reviews

Other than a basic Pro Tools Expert review ..., things are running a bit slow for the usual you-tube reviewers who are usually jumping over each other to review new gear ?

... is it because they cannot get access to these interfaces to review them ?

Last edited by seafoam_green; 19th August 2015 at 06:54 AM..
Old 31st July 2016
Here for the gear

Calibrating through Room EQ Wizard I got -3 db at 18.438 kHz. Wondering if It's because the unit is bad. I have to return it anyway because the meters aren't working properly. Anyone else check the specs? Should I upgrade to Antelope Audio Zen Tour?

Line Inputs
THD+N 0.005%
Gain Range 57dB
Old 1st August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolis View Post
Calibrating through Room EQ Wizard I got -3 db at 18.438 kHz. Wondering if It's because the unit is bad. I have to return it anyway because the meters aren't working properly. Anyone else check the specs? Should I upgrade to Antelope Audio Zen Tour?

Line Inputs
THD+N 0.005%
Gain Range 57dB
Hey man,I got my Zen Tour 2 weeks ago and i am happy with it,looks good and includes a lot for such a little box.Works perfectly though.
Old 23rd August 2016
Here for the gear
Hey,

I got one (8preX). Having an issue with the R channel metering...the issue is it is dead. But it's not like I'll use a 5 bar display for metering my channels anyway.

Overall I like this box, but it is a downgrade for me. Previously using an Aurora and the converters on this are, in my opinion, just not as good.
The clarity and stereo imaging suffer. And the bass is puffy and flabby. I think the pres suit its deficiencies but I would not call it a pro-quality converter.

Small home studio....it's a great package for the price and will undoubtedly serve many people very well. Just don't know if that's me.

Hope that helps. I'm going to write a more in depth review later on, and after I hear back from Focusrite.
Old 23rd August 2016
Gear Nut
Sorry to dog-pile on this thread...

I'm using a Clarett 8pre (not the X) and I'm having this weird thing where the latency figure changes when I put a track in record. So in ProTools 12.5 at buffer 32, the system says that the latency is 1056 samples (at 48 KHz). When I put a track in record, the system's latency figure doubles to 2016 samples! Then if I route that record enabled track out the stereo bus (aux channel) instead of directly out 1-2, the system latency triples to 3040 samples!! That's like over 6 ms - Ouch.

Does anyone know what's causing this? It's making overdubs a real drag.
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi all,

mcsharp - sorry to hear that you've had a problem with your 8PreX. It sounds like you've already been in touch with us, if you're yet to get a response for any reason please let me know your ticket number.

OldTools - can I ask where you are getting these latency figures from? Where are you seeing 1056/2016/3040 reported? If you have delay compensation enabled then Pro Tools will automatically add latency in order for all of your tracks to play back in time whenever you add plugins/additional tracks/sends. You can disable delay compensation (it's generally not needed as much while tracking) from the Options menu.

Best regards,
Jack // Focusrite Technical Support
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Nut
Hi Jack,

I was at a friend's place, using his Clarett on my Macbook Pro. We had the buffer set to 32 samples to get the lowest latency for overdubs. When we put the Pro Tools track in record, it sounded slightly latent as compared to listening through the Focusrite software mixer, and got even worse when we routed the record track anywhere else (through an aux in this case). So we went and looked at Pro Tools' session setup window - that's where the numbers came from. The latency numbers would change depending on what we were doing in the session. This is where we saw the latency figure double when the track was in record-enable.

I was curious about this, so when I got home I checked the session with my interface. It doesn't do this. Any ideas?
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi OldTools,

When you select a buffer size in Pro Tools (e.g. 1024 samples), this refers to the buffer that will be applied at both the recording and the playback stage (to ensure that everything is in time).

Before a track is record enabled, this buffer is only applied once (and the Setup > Session window ignores it).

When you create a send, this creates a need for additional processing. When a track with a send is then record enabled, both parts of the buffer are then applied and this is noted by the Session window.

Having multiple tracks with lots of different plugins will result in varying amounts of 'System Delay' being reported. You can always disabled Delay Compensation from the Options menu to stop this from happening.

I hope this helps,
Old 26th August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFocusrite View Post
Hi OldTools,
I hope this helps,
Hi Jack,

Sorry to be recursive. What I was trying to communicate was that the exact same session, on the exact same computer, with the exact same record-enabled track, with the exact same routing/plug-ins (none), did not behave this way on my interface. Only the Clarett did this.

Just for fun (cuz trouble shooting is so much fun!) I tried this same scenario on Cubase and Logic using the Clarett. It only does this weird buffer thing in ProTools.

Anyway, my buddy doesn't use ProTools (he uses Cubase) so it's not an issue for him normally. Only when we work together using my computer and ProTools. We're done with that song, so no urgency to fix the issue. Just though you might want to know about it.
Old 28th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam_green View Post
I really like the look of this Focusrite 8PreX Thunderbolt Interface ,

Link; Clarett 8PreX | Focusrite

all user guides are downloadable from the link.

It has ....,

- Easy to reach and operate knobs at your fingertips that I'd ever want from an interface without the clutter ,
- Clear easy to read metering ,
- All the inputs and outputs I need

..., plus the software side / routing etc looks so clean and user friendly

..., and its thunderbolt (Mac only for now , windows coming at a later date)

Anyone using one yet , any comments , any comparisons on the quality (especially the pre's) ?
If it works.... https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...e-with-my-iMac
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Strange issue with mine. I found a solution but thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else can use the info.

On my unit, each front headphone output would only play on one side. The number one jack would only play on the left and the number 2 jack would only play on the right. After determining that the headphones and adapter were fine, I started fooling around with Focusrite Control in case I messed something up there. No combination of settings and a factory reset wouldn't fix it. I was really irritated of the prospect of having to rip the unit out of the rack to send in for repairs. Long out of warranty.

Fast forward.

I was watching a youtube vid of a guitar master teaching a student. He was playing an old Epiphone when he mentioned in passing that many of the old guitars were wired wrong from the factory so he had to crank the volume knob to overcome a buzz or ground loop or something. Can't remember exactly. Anyway, I though I've tried everything else, might as well give that a shot. I cranked the volume on jack 1 all the way to max and low and behold, this fixed it!

Occasionally the problem will reoccur if I turn the unit off overnight but same process brings it back.

Strange though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search